News: What’s the market like for Seahawks targets Clowney and Griffen?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
First - We don’t have 8m, let alone 10m

Second - Incentives like you are proposing aren’t common, at all, for high quality starting level players. That type of 50/50 guarantee/incentive split is usually for backups so they can be rewarded if they are forced to start (see Dalton)

Third - Incentives are not necessarily free against the cap. “Likely To Be Earned” incentives count in the same year they are offered. For a guy like Clowney you could offer him an incentive to repeat performance for the prior year and give big incentives off that but they apply in 2020 up front and have to be accounted for.

You could set some godly sack target out there and tie a big “Not Likely To Be Earned” incentive to it but what elite player is going to sign a deal like that?

Make no mistake, Clowney feels he is elite and he’s not going to just run off and sign some desperate deal with the Cowboys for comparative peanuts just because he will have a Star on his helmet.

Stop trying to make Clowney happen
It’s not gonna happen
Clowney only had 3 sks last year so a sack incentive would not be LTBE and Crawford could take a paycut without being released.

Reactions: BAT

CCBoy

Reaction score
I’m sure we do have an interest in Griffen. The longer he’s available the more the big spotlight matters on a one year deal.

Before the league is in game 3, he will have a strong contract...there is quite a lot of interest on him as well.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Clowney only had 3 sks last year so a sack incentive would not be LTBE and Crawford could take a paycut without being released.
Can’t negotiate a final year contract, right? Have to cut him and re-sign

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I've never heard that, maybe you are talking about restructuring. You would have to have more years to restructure to spread out any salary turned to signing bonus.

Sammy Watkins took a paycut this year which was his final of a 3 yr deal.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
First - We don’t have 8m, let alone 10m

Second - Incentives like you are proposing aren’t common, at all, for high quality starting level players. That type of 50/50 guarantee/incentive split is usually for backups so they can be rewarded if they are forced to start (see Dalton)

Third - Incentives are not necessarily free against the cap. “Likely To Be Earned” incentives count in the same year they are offered. For a guy like Clowney you could offer him an incentive to repeat performance for the prior year and give big incentives off that but they apply in 2020 up front and have to be accounted for.

You could set some godly sack target out there and tie a big “Not Likely To Be Earned” incentive to it but what elite player is going to sign a deal like that?

Make no mistake, Clowney feels he is elite and he’s not going to just run off and sign some desperate deal with the Cowboys for comparative peanuts just because he will have a Star on his helmet.

Stop trying to make Clowney happen
It’s not gonna happen

We will see how creative Stephen always claims to be. Cutting Crawford would be a start.

Sydla

Reaction score
DL has already been addressed in FA and the draft.

Neither of these guys are going to be worth the effort as 1 year deal guys.

Dallas has to see what they have in whom they have Trystan Hill has to get developed and we drafted guys in the DL and resigning Woods will help.

If we are going to shore up anything, a LBer seems primary. Lee is game to game and Wolf Hunter we have not a clue. We need a LBer who can cover TEs and backs out of the backfield.

We will lose some games because good teams will just attack the LBers as they and the safeties were below average. That will happen again.

If some cut comes our way, we need to jump on it at LBer.

Just my call to arms.

People need to explain the rationale behind their aversion to a one year player filling a hole.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I am very adverse to signing Clowney. He's a me guy. No one has signed him for a reason. Money being part of that.

ksg811

Reaction score

You absolutely can. What you're referring to is restructuring, which is converting base salary into a signing bonus and prorating it out over the lesser of 5 years or remaining contract term, which you obviously can't do in a final year since there are no future years to prorate out.

This wouldn't be a restructure, it'd be reworking an existing deal. It would be a direct reduction in base salary, and generally converting the rest into incentives (mostly NLTBE). The Cowboys did it last year with Sean Lee, Chiefs did it this year with Sammy Watkins. It's fairly common practice for overpaid veterans in the final year of their deals.

John813

Reaction score

Don't believe so. One example in my head is Blake Bortles who was injured going into his 5th year tender, therefore the Jags couldn't get out of his deal without a huge dead cap. Jaguars instead signed him to a long term deal to lower the cap hit entering 2017. Of course he went back to the old Bortles and they cut him in 18.

So, if the Cowboys truly love Crawford, and would like to see him for another year or so, they could draft up a new deal where they drop his cap hit this year by quite a bit. He gets a signing bonus and term. Cowboys save cap space.

Or like @speedkilz88 posted, they can come to a paycut agreement if both only want each other for that current year.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Don't believe so. One example in my head is Blake Bortles who was injured going into his 5th year tender, therefore the Jags couldn't get out of his deal without a huge dead cap. Jaguars instead signed him to a long term deal to lower the cap hit entering 2017. Of course he went back to the old Bortles and they cut him in 18.

So, if the Cowboys truly love Crawford, and would like to see him for another year or so, they could draft up a new deal where they drop his cap hit this year by quite a bit. He gets a signing bonus and term. Cowboys save cap space.

Or like @speedkilz88 posted, they can come to a paycut agreement if both only want each other for that current year.
If that’s the way it works, great! Not sure Crawford would do it but if there is no market maybe so

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I'm so confused by the Crawford situation. There were reports that we were going to approach him regarding a paycut. The reports come out he's willing to take a paycut. Then he gets in trouble with the law.

Now we don't ask him to take a paycut? There's some sort of disconnect. I'd love Crawford back at $4.5M-$5M. $9M we aren't getting value.

Well there was one theory that since he has the same agent as Dak, is well respected in the locker room and offers versatility it would be best to ride it out not causing an issue. In all seriousness Crawford is under appreciated for his run defense, while he gives you some pass rush even though its not a strength.

However, Griffen and Clowney are the better players than Crawford, but play different positions on the line. It would be nice for Roger to rule on Gregory and Smith's suspension already so we know if there's a true need at RDE. I trust Gregory more than Smith as his problems only revolve around a substance that he will no longer be suspended for. If we didn't sign Smith I'm sure Griffen or Clowney would become more of a priority. Call me crazy, but Smith may have more upside despite being the ultimate wild card.

Kwyn

Reaction score
The smart play is to sign Clowney to 10M + incentives right now while his value is low. 2 year deal if possible.

https://nflspinzone.com/2020/05/18/dallas-cowboys-rumors-jadeveon-clowney-sign-now/
how about 5 million? And why not 3 years?

Even the article you linked doesn’t suggest 10m + “incentives” and instead says it won’t be cheap and would require a 1st year cap friendly Dak contract being completed as well as renegotiatijf other contracts.

That type of contact let kicking the fan down the road and piling up more and more future salary cap mess is usually a bad idea.

Clowney is not going to work on a bad deal for one year, let alone two.

jnday

Reaction score
DL has already been addressed in FA and the draft.

Neither of these guys are going to be worth the effort as 1 year deal guys.

Dallas has to see what they have in whom they have Trystan Hill has to get developed and we drafted guys in the DL and resigning Woods will help.

If we are going to shore up anything, a LBer seems primary. Lee is game to game and Wolf Hunter we have not a clue. We need a LBer who can cover TEs and backs out of the backfield.

We will lose some games because good teams will just attack the LBers as they and the safeties were below average. That will happen again.

If some cut comes our way, we need to jump on it at LBer.

Just my call to arms.
I think the reality of how the DL was addressed hasn’t hit home yet. Dallas added two DL that are years past their prime and last year was run all over in games with the rushing game. To be honest, I think both of the new DL are rotational players at this point. They made great names for themselves early in their careers, but name recognition may be all they have left at this point. At the LB position, I think LVE will be fine if he returns to the level of play he played at during his rookie season. I think Jaylon’s play depends on LVE’s return. The DE position is totally up in the air depending on reinstatement.

jnday

Reaction score
Big fan of stacked chips on the Dline with Griffen who I think could be a great piece in a quality rotational role.. think he’s still a 10sacj guy who defiantly can be an upgrade from Quinn in the run defense department
They can cut Crawford to sign Griffen and it would be a massive upgrade without effecting the salary cap very much.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I think the reality of how the DL was addressed hasn’t hit home yet. Dallas added two DL that are years past their prime and last year was run all over in games with the rushing game. To be honest, I think both of the new DL are rotational players at this point. They made great names for themselves early in their careers, but name recognition may be all they have left at this point. At the LB position, I think LVE will be fine if he returns to the level of play he played at during his rookie season. I think Jaylon’s play depends on LVE’s return. The DE position is totally up in the air depending on reinstatement.
Reinstatement for those guys maybe less effective than the other two new guys.

Rotating them and praying they last all season is 'iffy'.

But I'm with you.

So much depends on Lamb at this point.

If taking him and not quality young DL help bites us in the you know where..

turn out the lights the party is over.