What are everyone's favorite Christmas films?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Shall we debate what comprises a Christmas film first? I consider any film that takes place during Christmas but not necessarily about Christmas, a Christmas film. This includes Die Hard, Die Hard II, Lethal Weapon, Inside Moves, Gremlins and Harry Potter.

The standard ones I watch every year are Fred Claus, The Grinch, Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, It's A Wonderful Life (always held to the last one to watch), A Christmas Carol, Scrooged, Rudolph, Bad Santa and Santa Claus and about every other year I'll watch The Polar Express and the Santa Clause ones with Tim Allen. The one I never watch is A Christmas Story because the narrator's voice irritates me.

I also watch Lord of the Rings around this time because of the release dates and they remind me of Christmas but this year will be different as I will watch all 10 Star Wars films leading up to the culmination with The Rise of Skywalker. My older son was 5 when he first saw Star Wars and he and his younger brother have grown up, with me, experiencing the most unusual journey through film in my lifetime.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Christmas Vacation
A Christmas Story
Elf
The Santa Clause
The Santa Clause II

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Shall we debate what comprises a Christmas film first? I consider any film that takes place during Christmas but not necessarily about Christmas, a Christmas film. This includes Die Hard, Die Hard II, Lethal Weapon, Inside Moves, Gremlins and Harry Potter.

The standard ones I watch every year are Fred Claus, The Grinch, Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, It's A Wonderful Life (always held to the last one to watch), A Christmas Carol, Scrooged, Rudolph, Bad Santa and Santa Claus and about every other year I'll watch The Polar Express and the Santa Clause ones with Tim Allen. The one I never watch is A Christmas Story because the narrator's voice irritates me.

I also watch Lord of the Rings around this time because of the release dates and they remind me of Christmas but this year will be different as I will watch all 10 Star Wars films leading up to the culmination with The Rise of Skywalker. My older son was 5 when he first saw Star Wars and he and his younger brother have grown up, with me, experiencing the most unusual journey through film in my lifetime.

A Christmas film is whatever reminds you of the season. I don't think it necessarily has to have anything to do with the holiday. I like to watch Hildegard Withers films in December. I have no idea why they appeal to me around Christmas, but they do.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd have to say that there are no wrong answers on this one.

But I have a bunch that I make it a point to watch.

All of the Claymation specials.
A Christmas Story (already watched)
Christmas Vacation (already watched)
It's a Wonderful Life
Scrooged
A Christmas Carol
Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol (another else remember WPIX Channel 11?)
March of the Wooden Soldiers (if I can find it)

HungryLion

Reaction score
I'd have to say that there are no wrong answers on this one.

But I have a bunch that I make it a point to watch.

All of the Claymation specials.
A Christmas Story (already watched)
Christmas Vacation (already watched)
It's a Wonderful Life
Scrooged
A Christmas Carol
Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol (another else remember WPIX Channel 11?)
March of the Wooden Soldiers (if I can find it)

Yes. We recently bought Rudolph, the year without a Santa Clause and Santa Clause is coming to town on DVD.

it was a great investment. The old Rankin/bass holiday specials are great.