News: What Are Rico Gathers’ Goals After “Agonizing” Year On Injured Reserve?

CCBoy

Reaction score
What Are Rico Gathers’ Goals After “Agonizing” Year On Injured Reserve?
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...-goals-after-“agonizing”-year-injured-reserve

...After so much time away from the field, Gathers says he’s focused on refining his technique and following his assignments from new tight ends coach Doug Nussmeier.

He fully understands he needs a full, productive summer to help his transition grow.

“I’ve got to make sure I’m healthy and make sure I’m able to be on somebody’s 53-man roster,” he said...

This is one player who's career is dependent upon how well a new tight ends coach does with him...

Billyd

Reaction score
Transition..This is coach speak for crummy blocking!

Billyd

Reaction score
IT may work..I just dont like us releasing a guy that can catch the ball...Especially that big..

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
Transition..This is coach speak for crummy blocking!
The blocking thing goes into the whole adapting your scheme to your players strengths. Them not hanging onto a physical freak like Gathers because he can't block would be like cutting Shaq because he can't shoot free throws. I'm pretty sure that blocking is learned and can be improved. It's not like Tebow's terrible throwing mechanics that would've taken him literally 1000s of throws to correct. Dak just needs to put up jump balls all day to Rico...

Billyd

Reaction score
Guys, its not my job, its the coachez job, and its up to Rico to prove he is willing to duet..Right, the way they have coached him..Im not the one who has may have lost trust..Further this may be all a calculated risk..

Billyd

Reaction score
The deal with Barwin is the interesting thing he does to Heath..Yes he didnt have to work back to his qb, He didnt have to body heath catching the ball either..Guy was a wr in college..He may have some skill we are unaware of..We dont have enough data to know!

Xelda

Reaction score
Win us a Super Bowl should be his top priority.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
IT may work..I just dont like us releasing a guy that can catch the ball...Especially that big..

Agreed.

So he's not great a blocking? Neither was Tony Gonzales, but he's the all time reception and td leader for tight ends. Would be nice if he can be as good a blocker as Witten was, but if he can't? Then use him more as a wide receiver. Besides, the offense is built around Zeke, not sure even if the Cowboys had Gronk the tight end would be a big part of the offense....