What are some options at safety-fa/draft?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Throughout this week, we have learned that Dan Quinn scheme is primarily the Cover 3. No, he won't use it on every play, every series, but that is his preferred coverage scheme.

The Cover 3 basically has three players back in zone coverage: both the corners on the outside and the free safety covering the deep middle, where the strong safety is lined up inside the box. A rangy, free safety is required for this scheme. Many believe this position is most important for a cover 3 scheme.

What are a few free agency and draft options that fill this need:

Free Agency

Forget about any big names-have to sign Dak and the cap may go down. Have to consider players with some baggage:

-Earl Thomas (Character concerns)
-Malik Hooker (Lack of Durability)
-D. Kazee (Coming off major injury-played on both Quinn/Whitt in Atlanta)
-Tashaun Gibson (Age)
-Xavier Woods* (could bring him back on a low level contract)

*Donovan Wilson-better fit as a strong safety, but did play a lot of FS this yr and has legitimate instincts and ball skills.

Draft

Not a great year needing a safety, especially a centerfield Free Safety:

-Moehrig TCU (Probably is taken at the top of rd 2) A Jessie Bates type player
-Grant UCF (Can play either spot, struggles with taking bad angles)
-LeCounte (known to be a type of safety who is an excellent communicator, lines everyone up
-Cisco Syracuse(has a ton of interceptions, but also gives up a to of big plays)
-Gillespie Missouri (no career interceptions, but very balanced player)

Best course of action would be adding 1 veteran and pairing him up with a FS prospect or pairing him with the best safety prospect available.

Uncle_Hank

Reaction score
I think it's going be too hard to rely on the draft to fix the safety position. The best guy in the draft is going to go anywhere from the back of the first to the top of the second, which means we'd have to get pretty lucky. I say sign a top safety in FA and then sign another bridge player to compete with Wilson. If Moehrig or someone falls to you in the draft, that's a bonus.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think it's going be too hard to rely on the draft to fix the safety position. The best guy in the draft is going to go anywhere from the back of the first to the top of the second, which means we'd have to get pretty lucky. I say sign a top safety in FA and then sign another bridge player to compete with Wilson. If Moehrig or someone falls to you in the draft, that's a bonus.

They haven't spent big fa dollars on anyone for years, outside of in-house options. With Dak needing to be resigned, whole secondary basically gone, it's highly unrealistic they sign a tier 1 safety starter. You are right about Moehrig, probably won't be there in the 2nd rd, but they still have to address the need. Find a way to stablize the position and groom a long-term answer at the position.

Uncle_Hank

Reaction score
They haven't spent big fa dollars on anyone for years, outside of in-house options. With Dak needing to be resigned, whole secondary basically gone, it's highly unrealistic they sign a tier 1 safety starter. You are right about Moehrig, probably won't be there in the 2nd rd, but they still have to address the need. Find a way to stablize the position and groom a long-term answer at the position.

Honestly, with the way the next league year is going, they might as well restructure a few big contracts and get serious about adding talent to the defense. I know it's bad in the long term, but this is a black swan event that is impacting everybody equally. If the other 31 teams are forced to do something similar, then you're not really at a competitive disadvantage anymore (In a few years, I mean. Everyone is going to be screwed either now or later).

I'll be shocked if they don't restructure Tank, Amari, and Zeke. Just do it and put a good defense on the field for once. What other option is there?

cowboyec

Reaction score
i hope they finally address this spot in the draft.
trevon moehrig,tcu
adarius washington,tcu
jevon holland,oregon
richard lecounte,georgia
richie grant,ucf
mike brown,miami oh

just gimmie one of'm:thumbup:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Honestly, with the way the next league year is going, they might as well restructure a few big contracts and get serious about adding talent to the defense. I know it's bad in the long term, but this is a black swan event that is impacting everybody equally. If the other 31 teams are forced to do something similar, then you're not really at a competitive disadvantage anymore (In a few years, I mean. Everyone is going to be screwed either now or later).

I'll be shocked if they don't restructure Tank, Amari, and Zeke. Just do it and put a good defense on the field for once. What other option is there?

Well there are some whispers they may release Tyron to create 10 million in space. I don't think that is likely, but do expect some restructures to open up more cap space. However, they have many needs, just not at safety.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
If they want a true free safety. The only guys on film that showed anyway deep range that I saw is Moehrig, Washington, and Cisco. Cisco looked the most not ready and I wouldnt draft him and expect him to win the job. The other two I would. Grant and Lecounte have to show that they have the athleticism at the combine to play single high since they didnt show it in college.

Hamsah is good but I'm a Donovan Wilson guy. Dont need a strong safety. Holland didnt impress me. Wiggins strong safety. I think thats it

FA. If it isnt Maye, or marcus williams its nothing. We arent even going to attempt simmons.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If they want a true free safety. The only guys on film that showed anyway deep range that I saw is Moehrig, Washington, and Cisco. Cisco looked the most not ready and I wouldnt draft him and expect him to win the job. The other two I would. Grant and Lecounte have to show that they have the athleticism at the combine to play single high since they didnt show it in college.

Hamsah is good but I'm a Donovan Wilson guy. Dont need a strong safety. Holland didnt impress me. Wiggins strong safety. I think thats it

The free safety class is rather shallow. Almost have to overdraft to secure one of the good ones. Highly doubt Moehrig makes it to 42.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
The free safety class is rather shallow. Almost have to overdraft to secure one of the good ones. Highly doubt Moehrig makes it to 42.
I think we can trade back into round 2 for washington/lecounte/grant depending on how they time in drills. I think everything depends on those times where they go. Juan Thornhill wasnt hyped as a second rounder until that 40 time he ran

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Just get better.

Don't have these rigid, failed philosophies on free agency and/or not drafting a Safety high.

Also, reevaluate the way you have scouted, graded, and coached Safeties. Xavier Woods was never good. Darian Thompson is pedestrian. Jeff Heath was so overrated. Donovan Wilson showed promise and you still refused to play him until you had to.

Something (or someone) is way off here.

timb2

Reaction score
Safeties I like in this draft

FS
1- James Wiggins Cincinnati
2- Ritchie Grant Central Florida
3- Caden Sterns Texas

SS
1- Paris Ford Pittsburgh
2- Brenden White Rutgers
3- Joey Blount Virginia

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Safeties I like in this draft

FS
1- James Wiggins Cincinnati
2- Ritchie Grant Central Florida
3- Caden Sterns Texas

SS
1- Paris Ford Pittsburgh
2- Brenden White Rutgers
3- Joey Blount Virginia
I forgot about Sterms as far as true free safeties. Wiggins is a SS though.

SMASHMOUTH9473

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the safety from Middle Tennessee State. I think his name is Blankenship

fivetwos

Reaction score
Woods will be back when no one else in the league offers him a dime.

Can see that coming a mile away.

His film is somewhere between awful and mediocre and he didn't help himself with his mouth.

They are proud of getting all those starts out of a 6th round pick though. This way they can continue to tell themselves how well they draft.

Meanwhile he is a large part of the problem.

Wonder if Quinn promised to fix him in order to get a job, just like some others who told Jerry what he wanted to hear for a paycheck.