What are the real reasons for red zone issues?

droopdog7

Reaction score
And no, it's not the lack of running IMO. I don't have the stats but I'd speculate that many runs inside the 10 result in no yards or a loss. Probably averaging less than two yards a carry in that situation. I'm sure someone who knows how to find the stats can confirm or prove me wrong. Either way, I am of the belief that a run that probably won't score, and may not get you any yards at all, is mostly a wasted opportunity to take a shot at the end zone.

I think the QB is part of the problem as he doesn't appear to be especially comfortable throwing the ball inside when we're between the 20's. I'd guess that these throws are made even more difficult inside the 10. They develop very quickly and the QB has to be able to make quick decisions, one thing we know dak does not excel at.

Some of it has been just plain unlucky. Beasley drops and easy one. Other big plays inside the 10 have been called back by penalty. I thought he pass last game to gallup was extremely well executed but somehow, gallup did not see the pass. And let's go back to penalties; they've killed us there too many times.

I'm saving play calling for last. Everyone complains about it. But the way you can tell no one really knows what they're saying is that many of the complaints are not consistent. Of course more people want more runs but like I said, I don't believe that the solution (or else a preschooler could have found it). Some people want to run zeke up the middle, some want to run outside, some want a read option. Basically whatever did not work that last play was the wrong one even though we've seen many of them fail recently.

In terms of passing, some wants slants, some want fades, some want picks. Well, the truth is none of us really know what they're running on pass plays unless it's a fade. We all saw how lucky we got on cooper's last TD. Basically, the db can take away a slant or a fade if they decide to do it (last play not withstanding). But the bottom line on play calling is that most fans don't really know what they're looking at, aside from the fact that it didn't work. Now, this is not to say the play caller should get no scrutiny. His job is to help the team score. I just think complaining about specific plays we should or should not run is pointless and always hindsight thinking.

So in the end, I place part of the blame on the qb that is not so good at executing passes in tight spaces, and he often holds the ball too long, leading to sacks or penalties. I place part of the blame on the OC because the buck stops with him but I'm not going to pretend like I know what he should do differently (because I don't). And I place part of the blame on luck. I mean, how many times have we had a first and 10 right at the 10 yard line this year? Seems like a lot.

Vandyr

Reaction score
Play calling.

I don't really find fault with Dak for the red zone woes, because the play calling is so atrociously bad. How often do you see them line up on the 5 yard line like they're making a deep play down field? Who plans for long developing routes inside the 20? Why would you ever be on the goal line with an empty backfield? The Cowboys has the most vanilla play calling in the league, and it really shows in the red zone.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You lose Dez and Witten in an offseason, it's going to affect your red zone production. It didn't help we were playing a really good red zone defense last week.

It's a personnel limitation right now. Either get the TEs involved, remember Cole Beasley is on the roster, or hope that this is an area where Tavon Austin gives you an option in single coverage now that he's back. It shouldn't take all that much for the running game along with Dak to be in play again, but right now, that's been taken away from us. Gotta find a serviceable third option.

BigD49

Reaction score
There's definitely some merit to your pints about us complaining either way - if we run it 3 times with Zeke and he gets stuffed, people will undoubtedly say we need to be less predictable and more creative. However, I think we can all agree that consistently throwing three passes on first and goal from the 5 is not a recipe for success with Dallas' personnel. We've done that many times, and many times we end up taking a sack or penalty which automatically forces us to settle for a FG. Need to get it addressed if we want to beat good teams.

Sydla

Reaction score
No playmaking TE. The OC isn't very creative to get guys open in the tightened RZ area. QBs shortcomings come home to roost.

These are in no particular order.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
And no, it's not the lack of running IMO. I don't have the stats but I'd speculate that many runs inside the 10 result in no yards or a loss. Probably averaging less than two yards a carry in that situation. I'm sure someone who knows how to find the stats can confirm or prove me wrong. Either way, I am of the belief that a run that probably won't score, and may not get you any yards at all, is mostly a wasted opportunity to take a shot at the end zone.

I think the QB is part of the problem as he doesn't appear to be especially comfortable throwing the ball inside when we're between the 20's. I'd guess that these throws are made even more difficult inside the 10. They develop very quickly and the QB has to be able to make quick decisions, one thing we know dak does not excel at.

Some of it has been just plain unlucky. Beasley drops and easy one. Other big plays inside the 10 have been called back by penalty. I thought he pass last game to gallup was extremely well executed but somehow, gallup did not see the pass. And let's go back to penalties; they've killed us there too many times.

I'm saving play calling for last. Everyone complains about it. But the way you can tell no one really knows what they're saying is that many of the complaints are not consistent. Of course more people want more runs but like I said, I don't believe that the solution (or else a preschooler could have found it). Some people want to run zeke up the middle, some want to run outside, some want a read option. Basically whatever did not work that last play was the wrong one even though we've seen many of them fail recently.

In terms of passing, some wants slants, some want fades, some want picks. Well, the truth is none of us really know what they're running on pass plays unless it's a fade. We all saw how lucky we got on cooper's last TD. Basically, the db can take away a slant or a fade if they decide to do it (last play not withstanding). But the bottom line on play calling is that most fans don't really know what they're looking at, aside from the fact that it didn't work. Now, this is not to say the play caller should get no scrutiny. His job is to help the team score. I just think complaining about specific plays we should or should not run is pointless and always hindsight thinking.

So in the end, I place part of the blame on the qb that is not so good at executing passes in tight spaces, and he often holds the ball too long, leading to sacks or penalties. I place part of the blame on the OC because the buck stops with him but I'm not going to pretend like I know what he should do differently (because I don't). And I place part of the blame on luck. I mean, how many times have we had a first and 10 right at the 10 yard line this year? Seems like a lot.
Upon digesting the contents of Yer' THREAD HEADER ,ALONE!
The tune-age of
ALICE COOPER'S
" I'M 18"
immediately leapt/springed offa' my Forehead
o_O

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Some of everything. What play do you call when zeke is getting stuffed and the QB either can't or won't make the needed throws to open receivers in very tight situations? Easy to blame play calling due to windows being smaller, Dak holds the ball not wanting to force it into a a semi covered WR. Dak has trouble connecting the back shoulder fade so Linehan is hamstrung on calling some plays that fit Dak here. Hopefully they continue to work on it after practices.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
We ranked 3rd and 6th in RZ TD% the last two years with the same QB, OC, and RB. So there's obviously more to it than those first two factors you listed.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Play design and or play calling and execution on the players part.

Sydla

Reaction score
1st and goal at the 3.

1st down: pass
2nd down: pass
3rd down: pass

Unforgivable.

1st down - Pass
2nd down - Elliott dive right up the gut for no gain
3rd down - Prescott dump off, 5 yards short of the end zone

aikemirv

Reaction score
You lose Dez and Witten in an offseason, it's going to affect your red zone production. It didn't help we were playing a really good red zone defense last week.

It's a personnel limitation right now. Either get the TEs involved, remember Cole Beasley is on the roster, or hope that this is an area where Tavon Austin gives you an option in single coverage now that he's back. It shouldn't take all that much for the running game along with Dak to be in play again, but right now, that's been taken away from us. Gotta find a serviceable third option.

It was a nice play to Bealsey from the 5. Beasley flattened out and Dak threw towards the back of the endzone. Such a small detail but Dak looked like he wanted to throw deeper over the LB and Beasley felt the gap and flattened out

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's definitely some merit to your pints about us complaining either way - if we run it 3 times with Zeke and he gets stuffed, people will undoubtedly say we need to be less predictable and more creative. However, I think we can all agree that consistently throwing three passes on first and goal from the 5 is not a recipe for success with Dallas' personnel. We've done that many times, and many times we end up taking a sack or penalty which automatically forces us to settle for a FG. Need to get it addressed if we want to beat good teams.

Can you point to an occasion where this offensive coordinator has ever "run it 3 times with Zeke"?

:huh:

Heck, I can point back to this most recent game, in the third quarter backed up in our own end of the field where the idiot called for a shotgun pass on first down when Zeke was having a great day. That led to a sack and a second and fifteen, obvious passing play where Dak was picked and the Eagles handed the ball at the Cowboys 2-yard line. That's absolutely brainless play calling on full display right there. And it allowed a team that wasn't close to being in the game to get in the game.

Classic Linehan.
:facepalm:

droopdog7

Reaction score
We ranked 3rd and 6th in RZ TD% the last two years with the same QB, OC, and RB. So there's obviously more to it than those first two factors you listed.
Well, part of it is regressing to and away from the mean (which I think just happens). The one caveat, which others have mentioned and I did not think about, is the TE situation.

droopdog7

Reaction score
Can you point to an occasion where this offensive coordinator has ever "run it 3 times with Zeke"?

:huh:

Heck, I can point back to this most recent game, in the third quarter backed up in our own end of the field where the idiot called for a shotgun pass on first down when Zeke was having a great day. That led to a sack and a second and fifteen, obvious passing play where Dak was picked and the Eagles handed the ball at the Cowboys 2-yard line. That's absolutely brainless play calling on full display right there. And it allowed a team that wasn't close to being in the game to get in the game.

Classic Linehan.
:facepalm:
Unless you're at the 1 or 2 yard lines, I'd say three straight runs almost never happens with ANY team.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

The O-line has a hand in the lack of RZ success as well. They should be able to move the D enough for Zeke to get a few yards at least once.