What are the real reasons for red zone issues?

ESisback

Reaction score
And no, it's not the lack of running IMO. I don't have the stats but I'd speculate that many runs inside the 10 result in no yards or a loss. Probably averaging less than two yards a carry in that situation. I'm sure someone who knows how to find the stats can confirm or prove me wrong. Either way, I am of the belief that a run that probably won't score, and may not get you any yards at all, is mostly a wasted opportunity to take a shot at the end zone.

I think the QB is part of the problem as he doesn't appear to be especially comfortable throwing the ball inside when we're between the 20's. I'd guess that these throws are made even more difficult inside the 10. They develop very quickly and the QB has to be able to make quick decisions, one thing we know dak does not excel at.

Some of it has been just plain unlucky. Beasley drops and easy one. Other big plays inside the 10 have been called back by penalty. I thought he pass last game to gallup was extremely well executed but somehow, gallup did not see the pass. And let's go back to penalties; they've killed us there too many times.

I'm saving play calling for last. Everyone complains about it. But the way you can tell no one really knows what they're saying is that many of the complaints are not consistent. Of course more people want more runs but like I said, I don't believe that the solution (or else a preschooler could have found it). Some people want to run zeke up the middle, some want to run outside, some want a read option. Basically whatever did not work that last play was the wrong one even though we've seen many of them fail recently.

In terms of passing, some wants slants, some want fades, some want picks. Well, the truth is none of us really know what they're running on pass plays unless it's a fade. We all saw how lucky we got on cooper's last TD. Basically, the db can take away a slant or a fade if they decide to do it (last play not withstanding). But the bottom line on play calling is that most fans don't really know what they're looking at, aside from the fact that it didn't work. Now, this is not to say the play caller should get no scrutiny. His job is to help the team score. I just think complaining about specific plays we should or should not run is pointless and always hindsight thinking.

So in the end, I place part of the blame on the qb that is not so good at executing passes in tight spaces, and he often holds the ball too long, leading to sacks or penalties. I place part of the blame on the OC because the buck stops with him but I'm not going to pretend like I know what he should do differently (because I don't). And I place part of the blame on luck. I mean, how many times have we had a first and 10 right at the 10 yard line this year? Seems like a lot.

It’s like I always say...death by a 1,000 cuts! Plenty of blame to go around, but IMHO, it’s primarily the three you mentioned: QB, OC and plain old luck.

Flamma

Reaction score
I think the QB is part of the problem as he doesn't appear to be especially comfortable throwing the ball inside when we're between the 20's. I'd guess that these throws are made even more difficult inside the 10. They develop very quickly and the QB has to be able to make quick decisions, one thing we know dak does not excel at.

Dak is ok until he's inside the 10. Especially inside the 5 he's not making the pass. Teams know this so their stuffing the run. But the play calling is bad too. They have to know Dak is not making that pass from around the 5 yard line, so why do they keep trying it? Better off running it again even if first down didn't gain anything. Or a quick screen, swing pass, Dak run.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s well known that Sean Lee is so effective because he knows what’s coming. Execution much more important than trickery.

Reread for accuracy. Nobody's talking about "trickery".

droopdog7

Reaction score
Reread for accuracy. Nobody's talking about "trickery".
Trickery was my word. You want them to try to not be so obvious with what they're doing. My point is, that's not the most important element of a successful play because other teams can pretty much diagnose what you're going to do most of the time. And guess what? Noah Brown as caught a few passes so obviously not always a run.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Problem is Zeke is not part of the redzone plan unless were on the 2. Here's a clue Linehan...See Emmitt Smith on the 90's Cowboys

Brooksey

Reaction score
We ranked 3rd and 6th in RZ TD% the last two years with the same QB, OC, and RB. So there's obviously more to it than those first two factors you listed.

How many plays go to Zeke outside the 2-3 yard line vs.Emmitt Smith in the 90's run?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trickery was my word. You want them to try to not be so obvious with what they're doing. My point is, that's not the most important element of a successful play because other teams can pretty much diagnose what you're going to do most of the time. And guess what? Noah Brown as caught a few passes so obviously not always a run.

Yeah, two catches in 68 snaps. Thank you for proving my point for me.

Brooksey

Reaction score
When inside the five give it to Zeke. We dont have to always to run a goalline package everytime. Spread Wideouts out wide so that the defense has to spread out and if their is no safety help Dak can test the defense by changing the play or pretending to change the play to see if they want to guard vs the pass or keep the box loaded vs zeke.in my opinion we run too much goalline with Zeke inside the five. We sometimes need to change the style or personel and just run the ball. When we get inside the five and it's Zeke running we always have two to three tightend everytime! The tight ends we have dont block well. This is an area where Witten is missed. Just run two or three receivers sometimes and run the football inside the five or at least the ten
:hammer:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
It's scheme.

Dallas needs to do things like spread it out, 4, 5 wide at times down there.. get creative with a no-huddle, stuff like that...

They're just so predictable and not getting it done because of that.

They also need to be aggressive in the red zone early on.

kskboys

Reaction score
And no, it's not the lack of running IMO. I don't have the stats but I'd speculate that many runs inside the 10 result in no yards or a loss. Probably averaging less than two yards a carry in that situation. I'm sure someone who knows how to find the stats can confirm or prove me wrong. Either way, I am of the belief that a run that probably won't score, and may not get you any yards at all, is mostly a wasted opportunity to take a shot at the end zone.

Some of it has been just plain unlucky. Beasley drops and easy one. Other big plays inside the 10 have been called back by penalty. I thought he pass last game to gallup was extremely well executed but somehow, gallup did not see the pass. And let's go back to penalties; they've killed us there too many times.

I'm saving play calling for last. Everyone complains about it. But the way you can tell no one really knows what they're saying is that many of the complaints are not consistent. Of course more people want more runs but like I said, I don't believe that the solution (or else a preschooler could have found it). Some people want to run zeke up the middle, some want to run outside, some want a read option. Basically whatever did not work that last play was the wrong one even though we've seen many of them fail recently.

In terms of passing, some wants slants, some want fades, some want picks. Well, the truth is none of us really know what they're running on pass plays unless it's a fade. We all saw how lucky we got on cooper's last TD. Basically, the db can take away a slant or a fade if they decide to do it (last play not withstanding). But the bottom line on play calling is that most fans don't really know what they're looking at, aside from the fact that it didn't work. Now, this is not to say the play caller should get no scrutiny. His job is to help the team score. I just think complaining about specific plays we should or should not run is pointless and always hindsight thinking.

So in the end, I place part of the blame on the qb that is not so good at executing passes in tight spaces, and he often holds the ball too long, leading to sacks or penalties. I place part of the blame on the OC because the buck stops with him but I'm not going to pretend like I know what he should do differently (because I don't). And I place part of the blame on luck. I mean, how many times have we had a first and 10 right at the 10 yard line this year? Seems like a lot.
Since we had these same problems w/ Romo, why are you pointing so hard at Dak? Just curious.

droopdog7

Reaction score
And my point is "so what"? Besides, it's not like we've only throw twice in 68 snaps. That's just the number of catches.
Well, since the problem has actually been up and down with Romo and Dak, I think that suggests it is complicated (which is what I am trying to convey). As for Dak, it seems to me he's not the quickest to make a read and let it go, which is what you need to be inside the 10 especially.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I think, probably gonna get ripped for this thought but it's been awhile. so here goes.

Dallas should line up Rico in the back field behind a FB, and give him the ball..............he may not even need a FB.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, since the problem has actually been up and down with Romo and Dak, I think that suggests it is complicated (which is what I am trying to convey). As for Dak, it seems to me he's not the quickest to make a read and let it go, which is what you need to be inside the 10 especially.

And I certainly wouldn't disagree with you on that. That plays a part in the struggles as well. But we're dealing with multiple issues here, and not just one.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Oline is the biggest problem. Cant run, hard to pass.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
@brooksey1 In 1995, 52% of all red zone plays outside the 3-yd were either touches or targets for Emmitt. This year, 43% of all red zone plays outside the 3-yd line have been touches or targets for Zeke.

T-RO

Reaction score
As has been stated, we were a top red zone team the last two years. So what’s changed?

Pretty easy to answer: No aerial Dez, no savy Witten and most importantly (IMO) the qualilty of the road-graders up front has dropped off.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
If this is a real question you are not a real cowboys fan.