What are the real reasons for red zone issues?

Brooksey

Reaction score
@brooksey1 In 1995, 52% of all red zone plays outside the 3-yd were either touches or targets for Emmitt. This year, 43% of all red zone plays outside the 3-yd line have been touches or targets for Zeke.

Thank you, how does that compare to 2016/17? Zeke doesn't score near the TD's Emmitt did.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
And no, it's not the lack of running IMO. I don't have the stats but I'd speculate that many runs inside the 10 result in no yards or a loss. Probably averaging less than two yards a carry in that situation. I'm sure someone who knows how to find the stats can confirm or prove me wrong. Either way, I am of the belief that a run that probably won't score, and may not get you any yards at all, is mostly a wasted opportunity to take a shot at the end zone.

I think the QB is part of the problem as he doesn't appear to be especially comfortable throwing the ball inside when we're between the 20's. I'd guess that these throws are made even more difficult inside the 10. They develop very quickly and the QB has to be able to make quick decisions, one thing we know dak does not excel at.

Some of it has been just plain unlucky. Beasley drops and easy one. Other big plays inside the 10 have been called back by penalty. I thought he pass last game to gallup was extremely well executed but somehow, gallup did not see the pass. And let's go back to penalties; they've killed us there too many times.

I'm saving play calling for last. Everyone complains about it. But the way you can tell no one really knows what they're saying is that many of the complaints are not consistent. Of course more people want more runs but like I said, I don't believe that the solution (or else a preschooler could have found it). Some people want to run zeke up the middle, some want to run outside, some want a read option. Basically whatever did not work that last play was the wrong one even though we've seen many of them fail recently.

In terms of passing, some wants slants, some want fades, some want picks. Well, the truth is none of us really know what they're running on pass plays unless it's a fade. We all saw how lucky we got on cooper's last TD. Basically, the db can take away a slant or a fade if they decide to do it (last play not withstanding). But the bottom line on play calling is that most fans don't really know what they're looking at, aside from the fact that it didn't work. Now, this is not to say the play caller should get no scrutiny. His job is to help the team score. I just think complaining about specific plays we should or should not run is pointless and always hindsight thinking.

So in the end, I place part of the blame on the qb that is not so good at executing passes in tight spaces, and he often holds the ball too long, leading to sacks or penalties. I place part of the blame on the OC because the buck stops with him but I'm not going to pretend like I know what he should do differently (because I don't). And I place part of the blame on luck. I mean, how many times have we had a first and 10 right at the 10 yard line this year? Seems like a lot.

The field constricts to make it harder to run and putting more bodies between the QB and the receivers. That's why you need misdirection plays to create space on the outside. I was watching some of the Kansas City game the other day where all the receivers were sent one way across the field, creating traffic, while the running back slipped out of the backfield the other way for an easy throw and catch for the TD. We tend to run between the tackles when we run the ball and either attempt fade routes or to have our receivers navigate through the traffic.

sulu1701

Reaction score
Exactly right!

Heck, I know what's coming, sitting on my couch! If Noah Brown is on the field, there's a pretty good chance it's going to be a run. Oh, and when there's an empty backfield, I'm pretty confident in guessing it's a pass.

And above all, no matter how well Zeke and the running game may be doing, the OC cannot help himself but to call plenty of passing plays, often in the worst times and situations.
What drives me crazy is throwing a 3 yd pass on 3rd and 15 and then punting

DandyDon52

Reaction score
well when is the last time dallas ran 3 times in a row, and without using the stupid jumbo, no wr formation ??
They havent done it once all year.
Make defense defend the pass then run it either with dak, elliot, or the jet sweep or reverse etc.

I like what chicago has done recently, they used a lineman to be like the fridge, he runs it in for td.
Then week or 2 later they line up again like he is going to run it in and it is a fake handoff, and they throw to a OL who never
caught a pass before, and he makes good catch, TD !
That is being innovative, and executing it properly.

links18

Reaction score
OL aint what it used to be. Playcalling is atrocious. Oh, and the short field limits the possibility of scoring with YAC.

links18

Reaction score
Failure to utilize TEs and the FB we traded for, who is also a TB.

BigD49

Reaction score
Pretty tough to say that when it's never happened then, eh?
:huh:

The sad fact is that despite all of their success elsewhere, this team ranks 30th in red zone touchdown scoring. That has been, and continues to be their undoing, and if it's not fixed and fixed soon, a potential championship season will go by the wayside.
Yeah I really don’t know what you’re trying to achieve with the nitpick game right now... OP said people will criticize the playcalling with 20/20 hindsight if we fail to score, regardless of what the actual playcalling was. I agree with that point and used a hypothetical to represent it. Is that okay with you?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah I really don’t know what you’re trying to achieve with the nitpick game right now... OP said people will criticize the playcalling with 20/20 hindsight if we fail to score, regardless of what the actual playcalling was. I agree with that point and used a hypothetical to represent it. Is that okay with you?

I'm not "nitpicking" anything, I'm pointing out a claim with no support, nothing more nothing less. It's nothing personal.

You used a baseless hypothetical. Complaining about something that you yourself admitted never happened.

I'm just pointing out how worthless a comment like that truly is. And you admitted it yourself.

BigD49

Reaction score
I'm not "nitpicking" anything, I'm pointing out a claim with no support, nothing more nothing less. It's nothing personal.

You used a baseless hypothetical. Complaining about something that you yourself admitted never happened.

I'm just pointing out how worthless a comment like that truly is. And you admitted it yourself.

Literally at no point was I complaining...I was responding directly the OP's point about people complaining about play calling and then you twisted my argument into something it wasn't. Thank god we have you patrolling the boards making sure no one uses hypotheticals to illustrate a point, you're a real hero. The hypothetical could have literally been anything, because the point is still the same: People will complain about the playcalling no matter what it is, if it is not successful. That was the claim, nothing more, nothing less. I think you should re-read what I originally posted because you seem to have some made up version of what I said in your head...what's worthless is your reading comprehension - get off your damn high horse pretending you get to decide what's worthless and what's not when you're not even correctly reading the comment

My entire post was a response to the following: "I'm saving play calling for last. Everyone complains about it. But the way you can tell no one really knows what they're saying is that many of the complaints are not consistent"

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Literally at no point was I complaining...I was responding directly the OP's point about people complaining about play calling and then you twisted my argument into something it wasn't. Thank god we have you patrolling the boards making sure no one uses hypotheticals to illustrate a point, you're a real hero. The hypothetical could have literally been anything, because the point is still the same: People will complain about the playcalling no matter what it is, if it is not successful. That was the claim, nothing more, nothing less. I think you should re-read what I originally posted because you seem to have some made up version of what I said in your head...what's worthless is your reading comprehension - get off your damn high horse pretending you get to decide what's worthless and what's not when you're not even correctly reading the comment

My entire post was a response to the following: "I'm saving play calling for last. Everyone complains about it. But the way you can tell no one really knows what they're saying is that many of the complaints are not consistent"

Great, I'll make a baseless, unsupported claim and say that nobody will ever complain about playcalling, no matter how bad it gets. Zero support for it, but I'll say it anyway.

Just because I can.

BigD49

Reaction score
Great, I'll make a baseless, unsupported claim and say that nobody will ever complain about playcalling, no matter how bad it gets. Zero support for it, but I'll say it anyway.

Just because I can.
You're a special character man....apparently the constant complaining about everything (including other people's posts) on this site is not enough evidence to support my wildly unsubstantiated claim. I'll leave you be so you can go find another post to focus your incessant whining on

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're a special character man....apparently the constant complaining about everything (including other people's posts) on this site is not enough evidence to support my wildly unsubstantiated claim. I'll leave you be so you can go find another post to focus your incessant whining on

Check yourself on the "whining". You're the guy that repeatedly revisited this conversation and can't bring themselves to let it go.

But sure, try to project your own faults and failings on someone else. It's a common trope.

BigD49

Reaction score
Check yourself on the "whining". You're the guy that repeatedly revisited this conversation and can't bring themselves to let it go.

But sure, try to project your own faults and failings on someone else. It's a common trope.
:lmao2:man you're actually too fun, might have to keep this going a bit longer. My "faults and failings" hahahaha get a grip man, its a football forum

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:lmao2:man you're actually too fun, might have to keep this going a bit longer. My "faults and failings" hahahaha get a grip man, its a football forum

And what? That somehow absolves you of acting poorly? While trying to place the blame everywhere except where it truly lies? You "get a grip".