What are you pros and cons of Deuce Vaughn

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not looking for whining about the player/pick. What are the pros and cons of Deuce Vaughn

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Well I'm skeptical. The things he was so easily able to do in college will be far more difficult in the pros. His size is a severe limitation. While he is super quick, he lacks top end speed. I view him as a very limited gadget player. Maybe he gives you something in the return game. When he goes on the field as a running back, a large portion of the playbook will be immediately lost. He is not a complete back. A total liability in pass protection.

He's a feel good pick now, and I'm sure he will look like an all-pro in the pre-season against rookies. He will make some spectacular plays no doubt. My bold prediction is he will last 2-3 seasons, but be off the team after that. I really hope I'm wrong, but there is a reason so many teams passed on him for so many rounds in the draft. Micah would squash him like a bug.

timb2

Reaction score
Cons- Lack of size will hurt him with injuries also a liability on blitz protection.

Will get lost when Kids Camp buses leave because people will mistake him for a 3rd grader and counslers will push him on the bus.

Security will harass him thinking he is some 10 year old trying to sneak into the Cowboys locker room for autographs

Pro- We don't need Rowdy as a mascot anymore Deuce becomes our new mascot.

Deuce can help the big guys tie their shoes without even bending over.

Helps the psyche of KaVonte Turpin from thinking he is too small to play.

Can eat free at Denny's thinking he is a kid.

The Cheerleaders will be able to babysit him.

Last edited:

timb2

Reaction score
More

CONS- When at the Hotels they will put an Amber Alert out on him thinking he is a lost child.

At the weight room, you won't need much weights for him, maybe 5lbs or 10 lbs dumbbells.

He scores a touchdown and the other Cowboys throw him into the Salvation Army bucket and he can't get out.

PROS- The Cowboys kids shop gets a jersey custom made for him

When at McDonalds he can play on the playground.

Verdammung

Reaction score
Pros
  • Workhorse back for a team that finished ranked 14th.
  • Good production; including against #5 Alabama in the bowl game & twice against #2 ranked TCU.
  • Great patience.
  • Cutter.
  • Legitimate route running ability.
  • Only credited with one fumble on his 2022 season.
Cons
  • You may not have known this, but the dude is 5'5". Short with short arms & light weight.
  • Limited role in protection and with his size it's safe to assume he's going to be subpar in protection for his career.
  • Lacks the power to be an every-down between the tackles NFL runner.

timb2

Reaction score
Pros

If Deuce ever gets hurt and you need a stretcher,you can have a little red wagon or a baby stroller instead to cart him off the field

morasp

Reaction score
Pros
Highly productive as a rusher and receiver.
Despite his size he was Surprisingly durable in college against top competition playing in 27 games with 528 rushing attempts and 91 receptions in his last two seasons
Brian Schottenheimer has had success with smaller backs in the past with Darren Sproles.
Hard worker with a chip on his shoulder

Cons
Blitz pickup.

visionary

Reaction score
Guy may be short but he’s been very productive against top competition so you take a shot late

What impresses me the most about his highlights is that he may not be the fastest but he does not lose speed when he changes direction so he ‘plays faster’ than other players

Here’s hoping he can be our Sproles lite

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Well I'm skeptical. The things he was so easily able to do in college will be far more difficult in the pros. His size is a severe limitation. While he is super quick, he lacks top end speed. I view him as a very limited gadget player. Maybe he gives you something in the return game. When he goes on the field as a running back, a large portion of the playbook will be immediately lost. He is not a complete back. A total liability in pass protection.

He's a feel good pick now, and I'm sure he will look like an all-pro in the pre-season against rookies. He will make some spectacular plays no doubt. My bold prediction is he will last 2-3 seasons, but be off the team after that. I really hope I'm wrong, but there is a reason so many teams passed on him for so many rounds in the draft. Micah would squash him like a bug.
Mostly this. Maybe he's Darren Sproles, but odds of that are pretty low.

I don't think his pass protection or being a "complete" back matters much, but he's not really explosive even though he's quick. Despite his quickness, I don't know how well he's going to be able to generate chunk plays.

reddyuta

Reaction score
the only problem with him is how much space he can get from the Oline,he will manfucature a lot of yards if he is given space to make guys miss.i cant wait for TC to see how he does against our D.

Ekspozed

Reaction score

I don't think his pass protection or being a "complete" back matters much, but he's not really explosive even though he's quick. Despite his quickness, I don't know how well he's going to be able to generate chunk plays.
He's got juice. He can get to a spot quick. He's absolutey fast enough for the nfl.

Carter

Reaction score

Guy scored a 90 yard shotgun run TD against Bama and people complain about his explosiveness and end speed.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Not looking for whining about the player/pick. What are the pros and cons of Deuce Vaughn
Cons: How his lack of size makes him a liability in pass pro. To me, that's it. And you can work around this for a RB in a limited scat-back role.

With that said, we'll have to see. His size is such an extreme case, you just never know. But otherwise, he is a complete RB.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
He's got juice. He can get to a spot quick. He's absolutey fast enough for the nfl.
He's fast enough, in some ways, sure. But for a guy who is going to 6 touches a game, the opportunities to make big plays are going to be very limited. Without top-end speed, it's much more difficult to turn those into big chunks.
Guy scored a 90 yard shotgun run TD against Bama and people complain about his explosiveness and end speed.
Alabama didn't have NFL speed on defense and he didn't have to do anything but run in a straight line. Lots of RBs house that.

Ekspozed

Reaction score
He's fast enough, in some ways, sure. But for a guy who is going to 6 touches a game, the opportunities to make big plays are going to be very limited. Without top-end speed, it's much more difficult to turn those into big chunks.

Alabama didn't have NFL speed on defense and he didn't have to do anything but run in a straight line. Lots of RBs house that.
You know Tony pollard 40 is 4.52?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
PROS
- Can be a legit weapon on limited snaps
- Very good receiver; 116 receptions, 1280 yards, 11 YPC, 9 TDs
- Great acceleration and elusive open field runner

CONS
- Limited ceiling
- Cannot do all the things a bigger back can

Deuce is gonna be one of the more interesting guys to watch this preseason. I think he’ll make 1-2 memorable plays. It takes a creative OC to maximize his abilities efficiently.

Ekspozed

Reaction score
Tony is ~30 lbs heavier with a faster combine 40 than Vaughn's pro-day 40. Tony ran a 4.41 at his pro day and had better pro-day numbers across the board.
Combine shows they are similar speed. Idc about pro day numbers.
If they are similar speed and tony pollard is fast enough then...

And the 30 lbs heavier doesn't matter we are talking about if he is fast enough not if he is big enough

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Combine shows they are similar speed. Idc about pro day numbers.
If they are similar speed and tony pollard is fast enough then...

And the 30 lbs heavier doesn't matter we are talking about if he is fast enough not if he is big enough
Deuce didn't run at the combine. Tony's 4.52 40 was at the combine, Deuce ran 4.56 at his pro day.

The 30 lbs matters when it comes to running through arm tackles, which TP does routinely on big plays. Virtually no big plays in the NFL happen without a broken tackle, especially from running backs.