What are your minimum expectations for 2021 season right now?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
10 wins, anything less than that is a failure as far as I am concerned. #TiredOfMediocracy

I get your view. Understand completely.

But then again, what if Dak, Zeke, T. Smith, Collins, Cooper, Gallup and Diggs are have season ending injuries? (And yes I know that's extremely unlikely).

Then they won't get 10 wins probably, but that won't be the fault of the players, coaches or the owner/gm.

Judging the season has to wait until it's over...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I get your view. Understand completely.

But then again, what if Dak, Zeke, T. Smith, Collins, Cooper, Gallup and Diggs are have season ending injuries? (And yes I know that's extremely unlikely).

Then they won't get 10 wins probably, but that won't be the fault of the players, coaches or the owner/gm.

Judging the season has to wait until it's over...

I think if any team lost that many key players the results would be the same.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Dak sniffers predictably setting the bar low

the people who spent a year telling us Dak is elite and should be paid 40+ million/y now telling us if this elite QB leads us to 9-7 it will be an overachievement

can’t make this stuff up

My only head scratching, logic defying confusion is based on why to pay a QB this contract after the last full year plus 4 games as a starter, his record is 9-11.
And the simplest of all stats of measuring his TD to int ratio against .500 or above teams vs. poor teams clearly identifies that he has "extreme" problems against any defense that is average or above.

For the supporters; if your foundation is based on him being elite and deserving of said contract, shouldnt the bare minimum expectation or standard response be "I expect Dak to win a lot of shootouts this year, regardless of the defenses he faced.?"

That is what I would expect out of a supporter who does not already have a built in excuse system.

Just my opinion though.

We all got'em.

Gonna be fun to read once Smith, Collins or both gets hurt, lol.

Last I checked no one here gave Dak his contract - Jerry did.

I don't blame folks for hoping for the best since Dak isn't going anywhere. Some folks need to talk themselves into hope, some don't. Calling them "Dak sniffers" says more about the person using the term than their intended target(s).

I don't think it made any difference whether the Cowboys paid Dak or let him walk. QB hasn't been the reason this team comes up short year after year (decade after decade). It's an easy excuse for people who don't know what they're watching or have their own form of rationalization since the Jones Boys aren't going anywhere, either.

The albatross around the Cowboys neck is not a player. That should be obvious to everyone after 25 years and only two constants in place. I see no reason to expect significant changes in results as long as they are in place.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
And that's the point. If you set an expectation and the injuries happen, your expectation is null and void, so I don't do one anymore...

True, when people make prediction including those who cover the NFL it is done with health of the team being relatively good. We all know every team will take on some injuries over the course of the season. Having said that I went into 2020 with high expectation for this team and injuries clearly played a big part in the disappointing season. Heading into this season my expectation are the same as they were heading into last season which was high, winning the NFC East and making it to the NFC Championship game with a shot at a trip to the SB. Only thing different is the health of this team.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I don't blame folks for hoping for the best since Dak isn't going anywhere. Some folks need to talk themselves into hope, some don't. Calling them "Dak sniffers" says more about the person using the term than their intended target(s).

I don't think it made any difference whether the Cowboys paid Dak or let him walk. QB hasn't been the reason this team comes up short year after year (decade after decade). It's an easy excuse for people who don't know what they're watching or have their own form of rationalization since the Jones Boys aren't going anywhere, either.

The albatross around the Cowboys neck is not a player. That should be obvious to everyone after 25 years and only two constants in place. I see no reason to expect significant changes in results as long as they are in place.

so players are not responsible for this play? I get the fact that Jerry like any GM is where the buck falls in the end but players and coaches play a big part in winning football game. Did Jerry bring in enough talent for those winning teams in 2014, 2016, 2018? I have no problem with the heat Jerry takes it goes with the job. However players and coaches also share in success and failure

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok I know it is early, but I figure the draft will only give team 1 or 2 starters at most.
So what is the minimum season record you would accept as a step forward over last season?
I will say 10-7 , that would be a distinct improvement over last season.
Anything less I would have to consider a failure by coaches , FO , and players, and Dak.

Now 10-7 may get team into playoffs, and it may not, so I am not going to say they have to make playoffs,
but I do sort of expect that they should .
The thing is winning the division may be the only way a east team gets in playoffs, but one of the east teams
may have a good season, and do better than 10-7. You cant count on them being as bad as last season.

Dallas in 2020
AFC DIV 1-3
NFC DIV 1-3
SOS 2-0
DIV 2-4
Las Vegas Raiders H
Kansas City Chiefs Road
Los Angeles Chargers Road

NFC DIV 2-2
Tampa Bay Buccaneers Road
New Orleans Saints Road
Atlanta Falcons H
Carolina Panthers H

SOS GAMES 1-1

Minnesota Vikings Road
Arizona Cardinals H

NFCE GAMES 4-2

17th game 0-1 by this would put them at 10-7 , if 16 games then 10-6
Dallas would have to be real good team to do better than 10 wins.
I gave a loss on the last game as people here are saying it would be NE, and dallas has
always done poorly in the last game of season.
But that could be another win just as easily, if they are improved, so I could see 11 wins too.
So I will change that to 10 or 11 wins as my minimum expectation.

Anything over that would be more than I expect
And on further thought, I think making the playoffs , as WC or div champ has to be included, unless
one of the other east teams just has a great season, and dallas doesnt get in as WC.
10-11 wins should get dallas in as a WC though?

10 wins and a much improved defense.

And it’s going to take me a while to get used to seeing a 17-game record!
:laugh:

Sydla

Reaction score
Given the issues in the division, they should be 10-7 or better and win the division IMO.

Note, I am not saying they are overly talented or anything like that, but they have enough, especially on offense, to be a factor in what is a division that still has a lot of questions.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Given the issues in the division, they should be 10-7 or better and win the division IMO.

Note, I am not saying they are overly talented or anything like that, but they have enough, especially on offense, to be a factor in what is a division that still has a lot of questions.

The NFC Least was undeniably the worst division in football, contending in it should be the lowest of expectations.

75boyz

Reaction score

I agree in principle with your opinion as to Jerry being the overall lion's share owner of blame scapegoat in this team's ongoing demise.

However, my fire triangle to NFL success also requires input from 2 additional elements in the Head Coach and starting QB.

These 2 play a slightly less significant role but the trio are all inter connected as with my fire triangle comparison.

Where I differ is with your point in sole accountability being given to Jerry. While I do believe his 3rd of the triangle far exceeds a 33 1/3 percent share, I still think the coaching and QB performance play a role in keeping the fire lit as well.

GM, HC and QB1. That's my 3.

No worries.

Nice post

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree in principle with your ownership/GM Jerry's role and acting as the overall blame scapegoat in this team's ongoing demise.

However, my fire triangle to NFL success also requires input from 2 additional elements in the Head Coach and starting QB.

These 2 play a slightly less significant role but the trio are all inter connected as with my fire triangle comparison.

Where I differ with you is in the coaching and QB play playing a role and should not be absolved of their roles/responsibilities in keeping the fire lit as well.

No worries.

Nice post

Not sure I would say less significant role since Jerry does not play the game. Jerry has never thrown an INT, never fumbled, never blew a coverage or never called a fake punt. Clearly Jerry as GM has to take a major portion of the blame but players, coaches share in it just as much and when I say players it is more than Dak. As QB he can only control so much and has zero to do with defensive production or lack of production from that unit. Jimmy Johnson told the team in the 90's that if they win a SB there will be enough credit to go around. By the same token failure is shared by all as well.

75boyz

Reaction score
Not sure I would say less significant role since Jerry does not play the game. Jerry has never thrown an INT, never fumbled, never blew a coverage or never called a fake punt. Clearly Jerry as GM has to take a major portion of the blame but players, coaches share in it just as much and when I say players it is more than Dak. As QB he can only control so much and has zero to do with defensive production or lack of production from that unit. Jimmy Johnson told the team in the 90's that if they win a SB there will be enough credit to go around. By the same token failure is shared by all as well.

Yeah,
You may have a point. Jerry ultimately hires and fires that Head coach and pays that QB. So he ultimately owns those 2 important decisions. That's why I gave him the most blame.

The HC and QB1's onfield performance are their sole responsibilities. So I don't know exactly how to apply percentage numbers to a group of 3 in this case but did want to specify that Jerry should get more blame than the other 2.

Nice post.

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I am just hoping we all make it to Draft day. When the next team trades up ahead of us we will lose half the Forum with despair.

Oh whoa is me..the sky is falling...just call me Mr. Chicken Little boys.
Only so many ways to configure the top 10 talent, so I worry about the first day like a worry about a rain cloud.
Minimal chance of rain, with a strong chance of sun shine.
Hows that for some strong smoke blowing towards a certain orifice?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah,
You may have a point. Jerry ultimately hires and fires that Head coach and pays that QB. So he ultimately owns those 2 important decisions. That's why I gave him the most blame.

While both the HC and QB1's onfield performance are their sole responsibilities. So I don't know exactly how to apply percentage numbers to a group of 3 in this case but did want to specify that Jerry should get more blame than the other 2.

Nice post.

I would just go beyond HC and QB. You will win as a team and lose as one, QB controls only so much and has nothing to do with how the defense performs. Back in the 90's we could all point to Jimmy, the triplets but that team across the board offense, defense and special teams all raised their games and made plays. This team across the board needs to stand up and talk accountability in their play, you don't have to be a star player to make big contributions to your team.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Only so many ways to configure the top 10 talent, so I worry about the first day like a worry about a rain cloud.
Minimal chance of rain, with a strong chance of sun shine.
Hows that for some strong smoke blowing towards a certain orifice?
My concern is that things went so well last year at the draft. That Jerrah will try to force something if he gets a chance. The fact he has stated he wants Pitts means teams are going to bai t him into some moves to take Pitts and we will be asking each other What happened for 12 months.

BermyStar

Reaction score
Because you stressed minimum... I gotta say 6 wins. We got hell road games, division games are a toss up and our defense will have to prove themselves. My reasonable expectation is 9 wins. My optimistic expectation is the offense sh*** on everyone and we win 12 (13 since we play 17 now).

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Ok I know it is early, but I figure the draft will only give team 1 or 2 starters at most.
So what is the minimum season record you would accept as a step forward over last season?
I will say 10-7 , that would be a distinct improvement over last season.
Anything less I would have to consider a failure by coaches , FO , and players, and Dak.

Now 10-7 may get team into playoffs, and it may not, so I am not going to say they have to make playoffs,
but I do sort of expect that they should .
The thing is winning the division may be the only way a east team gets in playoffs, but one of the east teams
may have a good season, and do better than 10-7. You cant count on them being as bad as last season.

Dallas in 2020
AFC DIV 1-3
NFC DIV 1-3
SOS 2-0
DIV 2-4
Las Vegas Raiders H
Kansas City Chiefs Road
Los Angeles Chargers Road

NFC DIV 2-2
Tampa Bay Buccaneers Road
New Orleans Saints Road
Atlanta Falcons H
Carolina Panthers H

SOS GAMES 1-1

Minnesota Vikings Road
Arizona Cardinals H

NFCE GAMES 4-2

17th game 0-1 by this would put them at 10-7 , if 16 games then 10-6
Dallas would have to be real good team to do better than 10 wins.
I gave a loss on the last game as people here are saying it would be NE, and dallas has
always done poorly in the last game of season.
But that could be another win just as easily, if they are improved, so I could see 11 wins too.
So I will change that to 10 or 11 wins as my minimum expectation.

Anything over that would be more than I expect
And on further thought, I think making the playoffs , as WC or div champ has to be included, unless
one of the other east teams just has a great season, and dallas doesnt get in as WC.
10-11 wins should get dallas in as a WC though?

With the contract Dak got i expect he shows what he is paid for. That means being able to beat great defenses. And win games without bigger support from the rest of the team.

With that my minimum expectation for 2021 is to:

- beat all division opponents twice
- beat all medicore to good teams (Falcons, Panthers, Broncos, Chargers, Vikings, Raiders)
- beat at least 3 good to great teams (TB, KC, Saints, Cardinals)

but with our bad defense in mind i have to lower my expectations and would accept:

- 1 loss against WFT
- 1 loss against the medicore to good teams
- lose against 3 good to great teams

so my minimum expectation for the season is 12-5.

I want to mention that these are my expectations only because of the way our QB got paid.
Its not how good i think this team is nor its designated QB1.
With that said i do expect a season record between 6-11 to 8-9.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
My minimum expectations for this upcoming season are throwing up at least only 12 times all year watching this defense. That's an improvement over my 2 per game minimum last year. But this year we have an extra game so i may be pushing it here.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
With the contract Dak got i expect he shows what he is paid for. That means being able to beat great defenses. And win games without bigger support from the rest of the team.

With that my minimum expectation for 2021 is to:

- beat all division opponents twice
- beat all medicore to good teams (Falcons, Panthers, Broncos, Chargers, Vikings, Raiders)
- beat at least 3 good to great teams (TB, KC, Saints, Cardinals)

but with our bad defense in mind i have to lower my expectations and would accept:

- 1 loss against WFT
- 1 loss against the medicore to good teams
- lose against 3 good to great teams

so my minimum expectation for the season is 12-5.

I want to mention that these are my expectations only because of the way our QB got paid.
Its not how good i think this team is nor its designated QB1.
With that said i do expect a season record between 6-11 to 8-9.
ok I liked this post, it did make me laugh when I first read it, but clearly you put some thought into it, I like that.
About dak and his pay, sadly paying dak a large amount cant make him play any better than he did before.
Dak is dak, what we saw before is all he can do. In fact dallas will be lucky if he gets back to where he was before he was hurt.

I think it will take some time for him to get back in playing shape , both physical and mental.

- beat all division opponents twice,,,,,, I dont think they can sweep the division, 4-2 is best they will do
- beat all medicore to good teams (Falcons, Panthers, Broncos, Chargers, Vikings, Raiders)....... 4-2 is best they will do
- beat at least 3 good to great teams (TB, KC, Saints, Cardinals).....this is possible, but 2-2 more likely
- 1 loss against WFT.......they can do this lol :D
- 1 loss against the mediocre to good teams.....they can lose more than this!;)
- lose against 3 good to great teams.......they can do this too! :D