What Can Brown Do You For You?

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
He was not running towards the returner and making no real effort to get into the play. I'm not going to come down on Brown over a pre season penalty, he did it and was flagged for it as the rules state but I hope in a real game situation he is smart enough to know better. Part of what makes teams like the pats successful is they do not do things to beat themselves, Dallas players have to be smart enough not to do things that can get them beat.
He was running towards the play. You can see what you want but the kicker was headed towards the action

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He was running towards the play. You can see what you want but the kicker was headed towards the action

I watched the game, I saw what took place. That punter was no where near the play. It cost the Cowboys 15 yard!!! It is the rule not a matter if you like the rule or not and it is stupid plays like that, that can cost a team. It is pre season no big deal in regular season giving a team an extra 15 can cost you.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I watched the game, I saw what took place. That punter was no where near the play. It cost the Cowboys 15 yard!!! It is the rule not a matter if you like the rule or not and it is stupid plays like that, that can cost a team. It is pre season no big deal in regular season giving a team an extra 15 can cost you.
Didn't say he was close. I said he was running towards the returner which is a factual statement

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Didn't say he was close. I said he was running towards the returner which is a factual statement

It is against the rules, I don't know how else to explain it and if he or someone else does it during a game they will be flagged 15. I don't necessarily even agree with the rule but I have watched this team shoot themselves in the foot over the last several years by doing stupid things that cost you in a game. I would hope the coaches address it with Brown and the team so that they can avoid doing things like this.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
It is against the rules, I don't know how else to explain it and if he or someone else does it during a game they will be flagged 15. I don't necessarily even agree with the rule but I have watched this team shoot themselves in the foot over the last several years by doing stupid things that cost you in a game. I would hope the coaches address it with Brown and the team so that they can avoid doing things like this.
Not sure why you are talking about the rules, i haven't said 1 thing about rules. Let me say it again then perhaps you will understand........

I said the punter was running towards the action. Not sure how else i can explain it. That being said if you just want the last word you can have it

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Not sure why you are talking about the rules, i haven't said 1 thing about rules. Let me say it again then perhaps you will understand........

I said the punter was running towards the action. Not sure how else i can explain it. That being said if you just want the last word you can have it

People are missing the fact that the kicker was running towards the returner. Noah was doing his job and i like the fact he played. Giving effort from a rookie is never a bad thing

His job is not to commit stupid penalties. I mention the rules because that is what players must abide by and what he did was wrong and can be costly to the team.

haleyrules

Reaction score
So if there is a blocking rule or exception of kickers, punters and QB's during a runback, the NFL should have an option for these players to immediately take a knee in transition (or run off the field) during the play so they do not get hit. IMO any player running towards the returner is fair game as long as the block is legal.
Absolutely. Otherwise fair game!!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Absolutely. Otherwise fair game!!

except that is not the case and he is not fair game. To me it makes no difference of view points. The rules are in place as is and players must play within the rules or else the team is going to get hit with a costly penalty.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
RULE SUMMARY VIEW OFFICIAL RULE
PLAYERS IN A DEFENSELESS POSTURE

It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.

1. Players in a defenseless posture are:
    1. A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass (passing posture)
    2. A receiver attempting to catch a pass who has not had time to clearly become a runner. If the player is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player
    3. The intended receiver of a pass in the action during and immediately following an interception or potential interception. If the player is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player.
      Note: Violations of this provision will be enforced after the interception, and the intercepting team will maintain possession.

4. A runner already in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped
    5. A kickoff or punt returner attempting to field a kick in the air
    6. A player on the ground
    7. A kicker/punter during the kick or during the return (Also see Article 6(h) for additional restrictions against a kicker/punter)
    8. A quarterback at any time after a change of possession (Also see Article 9(f) for additional restrictions against a quarterback after a change of possession)
    9. A player who receives a “blindside” block when the path of the offensive blocker is toward or parallel to his own end line.
    10. A player who is protected from an illegal crackback block (see Article 2)
    11. The offensive player who attempts a snap during a Field Goal attempt or a Try Kick
  2. Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
    1. forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the initial contact is lower than the player’s neck, and regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenselessplayer by encircling or grasping him
    2. lowering the head and making forcible contact with the crown or ”hairline” parts of the helmet against any part of the defenselessplayer’s body
    3. illegally launching into a defenseless opponent. It is an illegal launch if a player (i) leaves both feet prior to contact to spring forward and upward into his opponent, and (ii) uses any part of his helmet to initiate forcible contact against any part of his opponent’s body. (This does not apply to contact against a runner, unless the runner is still considered to be a defenselessplayer, as defined in Article 7.)
Note 1: The provisions of (b) do not prohibit incidental contact by the mask or helmet in the course of a conventional tackle or block on an opponent.

Note 2: A player who initiates contact against a defenseless opponent is responsible for avoiding an illegal act. This includes illegal contact that may occur during the process of attempting to dislodge the ball from an opponent. A standard of strict liability applies for any contact against a defenseless opponent, even if the opponent is an airborne player who is returning to the ground or whose body position is otherwise in motion, and irrespective of any acts by the defenseless opponent, such as ducking his head or curling up his body in anticipation of contact.

Penalty: For unnecessary roughness: Loss of 15 yards and an automatic first down. The player may be disqualified if the action is judged by the official(s) to be flagrant.

http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/defenseless-player/

BigD16

Reaction score
Mercy. Was that a shot. Hope the coaches teach the kid that was a NO NO. But hey, the kid "got some spunk".
mean_cowboys.0.gif
What flop. Brown should've hit him harder.

NotForLong

Reaction score
This is why he got penalized.

Basically they were calling unnecessary roughness because it was nowhere near the play, but I think that is a crappy call. If the returner breaks a few tackles...the punter is another potential tackler.

I think it is BS myself.
It was weak. Brown doesnt get any points for stalking the punter then laying a hit on him in preseason. I am not proud if that hit. I am actually embarassed