What could we get for Lawrence and Cooper?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Why do fans always want to trade away proven players who are at the top of the roster for draft picks? Makes zero sense at all.

You would rather see the team over pay and get themselves in cap trouble later? I mean, we don't even know what Cooper wants to get paid. What if he wants 20 Million a season as well? We know that DLaw wants 25 million per on a long contract. Unfortunately, it's not like the old days when you could lock up guys for careers and pay them with no cap ramifications. I miss those days too.

Rayman70

Reaction score
DLaw was a Godsend and a great 2nd round pick for us. We never talk about that do we? That would be giving the F.O. and staff too much credit.. lol... Where would we have been if not for drafting him? If we lose him, all parties involved lose. Not to mention, the Dallas fans. DLaw and his agent need to sign the tag, then get the surgery pronto..and work out a longterm deal. A trade would be catastrophic in the short term...meaning, the next 2 years.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I have been saying it for years everybody wants to mimic the great Bill Belichick but they don't want to do the Dirty Work. Without a defensive tackle pressure up the middle I don't care how good the edge is. I have no issues getting rid of Lawrence. Trade him when the value is there. That is the beauty of the Patriots they know when to get rid of the player before the player even knows what's happening

I agree, the Pats may be the very best in terms of understand the value of their players. It's also interesting that you bring up the value of the DT. As Cowboy Fans, this should be ingrained in us. Tom Landry, perhaps the greatest of all Cowboys, always believed that you could not field a great Defensive Unit unless you had Great play from the DT Position. He believed that DTs made the Defense go. We've gotten really far away from that, these past few years. As teams have gone more towards passing, the need to dominate and control the interior, has become more and more devalued, seems like. It's really a shame to me but I guess you can't pay everybody and so we don't value that position as much, seems like.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I agree, the Pats may be the very best in terms of understand the value of their players. It's also interesting that you bring up the value of the DT. As Cowboy Fans, this should be ingrained in us. Tom Landry, perhaps the greatest of all Cowboys, always believed that you could not field a great Defensive Unit unless you had Great play from the DT Position. He believed that DTs made the Defense go. We've gotten really far away from that, these past few years. As teams have gone more towards passing, the need to dominate and control the interior, has become more and more devalued, seems like. It's really a shame to me but I guess you can't pay everybody and so we don't value that position as much, seems like.
I love Tom Tom Landry's offencive line stand up hold hands get down in unison. I wonder how many people remember that

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
One step forward and 3 steps back.
We have the youngest starting team in the league last season. I love it William McClay has been doing . This is not the same old Cowboys

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'd rather have football players on my squad than money players and I'm sorry I don't have time to explain the difference but I think you probably know it.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Not many remember Tom Landry teams anymore. Fewer and fewer every year I'm afraid.
Overseas in the military all you could get was the Cowboys. How can you not love the star and what it represents. Mister cowboy. I told people draft most Worthy. I got slammed. They say no draft for need a draft best player. My Philosophy is most Worthy. Talent need character. I can't stress character enough

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I have nerve damage from the military are you speaking text I apologize sometimes my posts get gobbled the wording I do my best to proofread it. My fingers sting when I type. I'm thrilled to be back on the forum I miss my old Landry's hat from the old form

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I remember Bill Parcells tell him people most don't know what it means to get it. Jason Witten gets it Bob Lilly gets it I'm sure there's many more in between Zack Martin is my new Mister cowboy. He's a guy I call most Worthy.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Problem: Lawrence is injured and wants a huge contract, Gregory probably isn't back this year, and now Crawford has issues. DE is looking bad for us, with a great dline draft.

Solution?: Flip Cooper. Trade Lawrence. Use picks for the dline. Free up 40mil per year.

Question: Could we get a 1st out of each? Maybe a 1st plus?

We gave up a first for Cooper. And I think he's exceeded expectations. Shouldn't he be worth more now?

If you thought that giving up a 1st for Cooper was a good deal for us last year, shouldn't it be an even better deal now for the team we trade Cooper to?

And for Lawrence, wasn't he considered in the top few free agents in the league? I'd expect that to net more than Cooper.

*If* you think the Cooper deal was good for us, shouldn't we get two 1sts plus out of trading Cooper and Lawrence?

I'd be happy with that with a dline heavy draft to build with.
You would get 1-15 this season.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I always hate to see these kinds of threads because after all of these years, I know what's coming. So rather then adding to the pile on, I will just say that perhaps the poster has a point. I don't think you lose Cooper if at all possible but we don't know what the contract expectations might be and we don't know if we will be able to sign him. He has significant value, probably more now then when we traded for him. We could definitely get more for him then what we gave up.

As far as DLaw, his future is on him to me. He's not getting top money IMO. I think the team has already probably made a decision on what they are willing to give up, JMO. Trading him might also be an option, if not a necessity. If he won't play on the Tag, then I don't think there is an option. He has value, moving him saves us a lot of cap and probably allows for signing and resigning some important pieces.

I think it would be wise for all of us to continue to keep our options open.

Honestly, the OP's post is a silly idea, but if I were to answer honestly, I would say the only reason to do something like this would be if some other team were dumb enough to way overpay for these players, in other words, if we totally fleeced them. That would be something like two first round picks for Cooper and a first and a second for Lawrence, plus some above average players, and maybe throw in their sexiest cheerleader, then it could be worth it. In other words, if some other team is a major idiot, it could be worth doing. But it's a hypothetical, because that's not happening.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
What we could most likely get for Lawrence and Cooper is regret for having let go them go to begin with. Desperate moves, more often than not, beget regret. Figuring out ways to relieve yourself of your most valuable players is pathetically devoid of good sense. Talented players are a blessing to those who know enough to appreciate it. Let's try to be reasonably close to rational, ok?

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Problem: Lawrence is injured and wants a huge contract, Gregory probably isn't back this year, and now Crawford has issues. DE is looking bad for us, with a great dline draft.

Solution?: Flip Cooper. Trade Lawrence. Use picks for the dline. Free up 40mil per year.

Question: Could we get a 1st out of each? Maybe a 1st plus?

We gave up a first for Cooper. And I think he's exceeded expectations. Shouldn't he be worth more now?

If you thought that giving up a 1st for Cooper was a good deal for us last year, shouldn't it be an even better deal now for the team we trade Cooper to?

And for Lawrence, wasn't he considered in the top few free agents in the league? I'd expect that to net more than Cooper.

*If* you think the Cooper deal was good for us, shouldn't we get two 1sts plus out of trading Cooper and Lawrence?

I'd be happy with that with a dline heavy draft to build with.
:thumbdown:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Honestly, the OP's post is a silly idea, but if I were to answer honestly, I would say the only reason to do something like this would be if some other team were dumb enough to way overpay for these players, in other words, if we totally fleeced them. That would be something like two first round picks for Cooper and a first and a second for Lawrence, plus some above average players, and maybe throw in their sexiest cheerleader, then it could be worth it. In other words, if some other team is a major idiot, it could be worth doing. But it's a hypothetical, because that's not happening.

There is another reason. It could be that cap limitations force you to consider something like this as well. That too is a possibility.

Verdict

Reaction score
DLaw was a Godsend and a great 2nd round pick for us. We never talk about that do we? That would be giving the F.O. and staff too much credit.. lol... Where would we have been if not for drafting him? If we lose him, all parties involved lose. Not to mention, the Dallas fans. DLaw and his agent need to sign the tag, then get the surgery pronto..and work out a longterm deal. A trade would be catastrophic in the short term...meaning, the next 2 years.

He didn't do much until his contract year. He's a valuable player but let's not act like he's been all world since day 1.