CFZ What Dallas needs is a Road Grader Mentality

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score
Wow was it great back then! Even in the dark days of Landry's end, there was a pure roadgrader on the Cowboys' OL. He would blow open holes for Hershel Walker, which led to an NFC rushing championship in 1988. On plays where he was a pulling guard, defensive players would be blown away like a snowplower blows away snow.

He was the key run blocker for Emmitt Smith early in his career. He was a tough, strong dude, always ready to play, every game. Remember him, Nate Newton?

Then, Larry Allen joined in as starter in 1995, and Troy had double roadgraders. Wow, could those guys roadgrade, 1773 yards for Emmit and 25 rushing TD'S. Troy did not have to throw. That is why his passing stats are not so prolific. He had the OL to dominate.

I have seen what the Cowboys have seen in Tyler Smith, he is a road grader. He hurts the defenders. Even at his tender age, he has enormous NFL strength to open lanes for the Boys' RB's. He has been given advanced coaching attention.

Last years' OL performance was the worst I have seen in many years. Some young OLmen need several years of seasoning before they become very effective starters, like Doug Free. He sat behind Marco Colombo and learned the game, got stronger, developed instincts. Nowadays, we rush players onto the field too soon and coming from college they are not ready.

We were spoiled by T FRED who came from Wisconsin and was the best center we ever had from the outset. He was a generational Center talent. Biadascz is still a baby, still learning, getting stronger, and hopefully better. He had major operations to a hip and a shoulder, which obviously had compromised his strength. If not for those operations, he would have been a 2nd round pick. I am hoping now, in this year, we will see this young talent finally emerge at full strength, to show us the same talent he used to be as a dominating center at Wisconsin.

Connor Williams was not a road grader at guard. He also was being beat so many times that he held to avoid a sack. With my expectations that Tyler Smith at LG will be a hit as a roadgrader, a star in dominating the point of attack, and an expected spike in Biadascz's performance, I truly foresee a vast improvement in the OL and a running game which will not be controlled by opposing defenses.

Lastly, remember Jake Ferguson from Wisconsin. Somehow Wisconsin players seems to be better in the Pros. Jake can really catch the ball. He has an enormous football IQ. He is a smart and clutch player. He is much better receiver than Schultz was coming out of Stanford. Jake will make a significant contribution as a rookie.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Wow was it great back then! Even in the dark days of Landry's end, there was a pure roadgrader on the Cowboys' OL. He would blow open holes for Hershel Walker, which led to an NFC rushing championship in 1988. On plays where he was a pulling guard, defensive players would be blown away like a snowplower blows away snow.

He was the key run blocker for Emmitt Smith early in his career. He was a tough, strong dude, always ready to play, every game. Remember him, Nate Newton?

Then, Larry Allen joined in as starter in 1995, and Troy had double roadgraders. Wow, could those guys roadgrade, 1773 yards for Emmit and 25 rushing TD'S. Troy did not have to throw. That is why his passing stats are not so prolific. He had the OL to dominate.

I have seen what the Cowboys have seen in Tyler Smith, he is a road grader. He hurts the defenders. Even at his tender age, he has enormous NFL strength to open lanes for the Boys' RB's. He has been given advanced coaching attention.

Last years' OL performance was the worst I have seen in many years. Some young OLmen need several years of seasoning before they become very effective starters, like Doug Free. He sat behind Marco Colombo and learned the game, got stronger, developed instincts. Nowadays, we rush players onto the field too soon and coming from college they are not ready.

We were spoiled by T FRED who came from Wisconsin and was the best center we ever had from the outset. He was a generational Center talent. Biadascz is still a baby, still learning, getting stronger, and hopefully better. He had major operations to a hip and a shoulder, which obviously had compromised his strength. If not for those operations, he would have been a 2nd round pick. I am hoping now, in this year, we will see this young talent finally emerge at full strength, to show us the same talent he used to be as a dominating center at Wisconsin.

Connor Williams was not a road grader at guard. He also was being beat so many times that he held to avoid a sack. With my expectations that Tyler Smith at LG will be a hit as a roadgrader, a star in dominating the point of attack, and an expected spike in Biadascz's performance, I truly foresee a vast improvement in the OL and a running game which will not be controlled by opposing defenses.

Lastly, remember Jake Ferguson from Wisconsin. Somehow Wisconsin players seems to be better in the Pros. Jake can really catch the ball. He has an enormous football IQ. He is a smart and clutch player. He is much better receiver than Schultz was coming out of Stanford. Jake will make a significant contribution as a rookie.
We drafted another road grader 37th overall in 2002 in Andre Gurode, they called him the "road grader" at the University of Colorado.
I believe Tyler Smith without even taking a snap in TC yet is already so much more deserving of the title.
TS will be the Road Grader type OL that we have been missing.
Ferguson I have high expectations for as well.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
While it's nice to recall how fortunate we were as a road-grading offense in the past, it's tough to assume a road-grading determination without the road graders to make it happen. There's no doubt how blessed we were in the decades we've left behind. Nevertheless, the progress that begs to materialize lies ahead. We can only hope to return to those good times.

This modern era of the Cowboys OL doesn't really compare with what we've been fortunate enough to enjoy in the glorious past, when our former offensive lines afforded the offensive running lanes to go through. Tyron needs a capable backup, and the center position sorely needs more proficient help, also.

There's much improvement to be seen in the weeks that lie ahead in accomplishing any chances of a return to our former road-grading mentality. Let's cross our fingers for that blessing to return. Hopefully, our pass protection will return more adequately. Maybe the final cuts will help to reach that goal. Stephen has yet to live up to his words to fortify even more adequately than at present. Let's hope he doesn't forget that.

Last edited:

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
The Cowboys need five road graders. So I'm going to repeat my fluff all the way to the 2023 draft. Should have drafted OT Abraham Lucas in the 2nd, not DT Sam Williams.

ESisback

Reaction score

I agree. You’ll likely be scoffed at.

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score
Sam Williams reminds me of Harvey Martin, a superior speed pash rusher who wrecked havoc on opposing offenses. The RDE needs a speed pass rusher. A superior RDE pass rush is a blessing to DB's. They cause premature throws, off-balance throws, and higher trajectory throws, in addition to intimidating sacks. Sam has rare athletic speed.

For the OL, I wonder why a Penn State starting guard drafted in the 3rd round has not been able to make it, Connor McGovern.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

• Yes, they needed more power; however, the Rams & 49ers in recent years have had great running games and most seasons with just ok overall OL talent.
  • Rams
    • The 2018 season Rams didn't really have any wow OLinemen.
      • However, their running game got them to the Super Bowl with a sub-par QB.
      • They did it will scheme and near-perfect execution.
      • They played an entire season without a missed start by an OLineman.
    • In 2021 I think OT Andrew Whitworth was their only OL to have ever made a Pro Bowl and he was 40 years old playing in the Super Bowl.
  • 49ers
    • They did added multi-time Pro Bowler Trent Williams last year but 2021 was his 1st time to make 1st team All-Pro at age 33.
    • They added OC Alex Mack in 2021 but he was considered on his last legs at age 36 and retired after the season.
    • OG Laken Tomlinson was a bust in Detroit. A former 1st round pick was traded for a 5th after only 2 years with the Lions.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sam Williams reminds me of Harvey Martin, a superior speed pash rusher who wrecked havoc on opposing offenses. The RDE needs a speed pass rusher. A superior RDE pass rush is a blessing to DB's. They cause premature throws, off-balance throws, and higher trajectory throws, in addition to intimidating sacks. Sam has rare athletic speed.

For the OL, I wonder why a Penn State starting guard drafted in the 3rd round has not been able to make it, Connor McGovern.
Connor McGovern's issues are difficult to understand.
  • He appears to have the required physical ability.
    • More power than Connor Williams and has good foot quickness.
    • Unfortunately, when they benched CW for penalties, CM was a disaster.
    • He did dumb things like try to put his shoulder pads into the waist area of a defender.
    • Once an OL has their head down, their toast, unless it's something like a 3rd and 1 run play.
  • At OC, they don't trust him to shotgun snap.
    • He played some snaps late in some games at OC in 2021 and they had zero shotgun snaps on all of those plays.
    • In college he used a reverse grip on the ball when playing OC.
      • Normal: Front tip of ball facing up prior to the snap.
      • McGovern: Front tip of ball facing down prior to the snap.
      • This made spirals on shotgun snaps impossible.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Its a very good question

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Connor McGovern's issues are difficult to understand.
  • He appears to have the required physical ability.
    • More power than Connor Williams and has good foot quickness.
    • Unfortunately, when they benched CW for penalties, CM was a disaster.
    • He did dumb things like try to put his shoulder pads into the waist area of a defender.
    • Once an OL has their head down, their toast, unless it's something like a 3rd and 1 run play.
  • At OC, they don't trust him to shotgun snap.
    • He played some snaps late in some games at OC in 2021 and they had zero shotgun snaps on all of those plays.
    • In college he used a reverse grip on the ball when playing OC.
      • Normal: Front tip of ball facing up prior to the snap.
      • McGovern: Front tip of ball facing down prior to the snap.
      • This made spirals on shotgun snaps impossible.
Very good answer

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They didn't spend 160M on a QB and 1st round picks on WR's for that type of offense and the OC is not that kind of OC.

The Niners and Eagles love to run the ball but even they don't road grade, they use schemes and matchups.

If a team is going to try and have that type of offense, they have to have a very stout D, especially against the run.

Creeper

Reaction score
I agree with the overall premise, the Cowboys should focus on defense and running the football. I think Dak is a good QB but he cannot be relied upon to throw the football 40 times per game.

But the Cowboys hamstring themselves when building their roster because they refuse to use free agency to get better, and honestly, they have not been very aggressive in the draft. There were times when the Cowboys could have traded up to get a player and they stayed in place and missed their player. We'll see how it works out.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ferguson was not a much better receiver coming out of college than Schultz. I don't know where that comes from.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
We had that in 2014 and 2016. Got us all of 1 playoff win. What we need is to be more balanced than those teams were

Bingo!!!! again having flashy things on offense does not overcome giving up 5+ yards a carry in the playoffs. Last years 2 SB teams had very good defenses even if everyone wants to give the glory to the 2 QB's...

cowboyec

Reaction score
i think tyler smith has that neanderthal like physicality we need.
tyler smith will make us committ to the ground game.