What Deion Sanders is doing is wrong

RaZon

Reaction score
A 5 star recruit who can play big time college football should, they need the best NCAA football has to offer, you look across the field and there stands Notre Dame, USC, Alabama, Oklahoma,Clemson. To try and steer a young player away from that experience to play at a Jackson State in front of maybe 12, 000 fans is just wrong and not fair to the kid.

Ya need to make memories and you only got one shot at it, who doesn't remembe that game with the Fighting Irish, the Trojans, the Crimson Tide, the Sooners, who remembers a game vs the Florida A&M Rattlers?

Bigdog

Reaction score
It’s the kid choice of where he wants to go to school. If he feels more comfortable to get his education at Jackson St and play football there the so be it. Who are we to say what he should do with his future.

RaZon

Reaction score
It’s the kid choice of where he wants to go to school. If he feels more comfortable to get his education at Jackson St and play football there the so be it. Who are we to say what he should do with his future.

Why do we have guidance counselors and what kid really knows what is best for them? Isn't that what parents are for?

So pass up on playing in a National Championship game, pass up on looking up in the stands and 100,000 are looking back. I'd want my kid to have the best NCAA football can offer,. that's isn't Jackson State.

My son wanted a tattoo on his neck.......need I go on?

Bigdog

Reaction score
Why do we have guidance counselors and what kid really knows what is best for them? Isn't that what parents are for?

So pass up on playing in a National Championship game, pass up on looking up in the stands and 100,000 are looking back. I'd want my kid to have the best NCAA football can offer,. that's isn't Jackson State.

My son wanted a tattoo on his neck.......need I go on?
That is what you want. Maybe that is not what the kid want. One of the thing that I remember getting recruited was asked to me was do you want to play or do you want to sit for a few years and then have a chance to play when you are a junior or senior. Some kids just want to play as early as they can in college and not have to wait behind some olde players.

RaZon

Reaction score
That is what you want. Maybe that is not what the kid want. One of the thing that I remember getting recruited was asked to me was do you want to play or do you want to sit for a few years and then have a chance to play when you are a junior or senior. Some kids just want to play as early as they can in college and not have to wait behind some olde players.

So going to a small school that nobody cares about, your exploits going unnoticed by the media, not even a bowl game. Playing in front of small crowds is what you would recommend, ok man.

My kid is playing big time football, it's only fair to him to give him the best. This is one of those.....memories for a lifetime thing. I want it to be LSU not Savannah State,

Bigdog

Reaction score
If that is what a kid wants then sure. It his decision, not mine. Your there for an education and sports come secondary. I will not vicariously live through my kid or any kid. It is their choice. If I push them to go to a school or play a sport they don’t want to then I am just hurting them and our relationship. Like I said it is not what I want; it is what they want.

RaZon

Reaction score
If that is what a kid wants then sure. It his decision, not mine. Your there for an education and sports come secondary. I will not vicariously live through my kid or any kid. It is their choice. If I push them to go to a school or play a sport they don’t want to then I am just hurting them and our relationship. Like I said it is not what I want; it is what they want.

Don't think you are getting what is going on here. Deion Sanders the football coach at Jackson State is taking a kid who can play for any school in the nation and taking him away from big time NCAA football to play small time nobody cares football. You don't really seem to get the big difference there.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Don't think you are getting what is going on here. Deion Sanders the football coach at Jackson State is taking a kid who can play for any school in the nation and taking him away from big time NCAA football to play small time nobody cares football. You don't really seem to get the big difference there.
I do get it and that is the kids choice to do that. I had teammates in college who were high school All-Americans and they went to division 3 schools to play because they felt more comfortable at the college and wanted to play right away. I just think it is all about the person feels is the best fit for him.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I just think you and I have a different opinion about this and that is fine. I don’t necessary agree with yours but I do respect it.

RaZon

Reaction score
I do get it and that is the kids choice to do that. I had teammates in college who were high school All-Americans and they went to division 3 schools to play because they felt more comfortable at the college and wanted to play right away. I just think it is all about the person feels is the best fit for him.

Would this kid even think of a small school if not for Deion is what this is about. No doubt being a 5 star recruit he has gotten letters from big time programs that is what 5 star will do. So why would he turn his back on Alabama, Clemson for small time football, yep....Deion.

High school all americans passing up big time NCAA football for D3 football, really? What schools?

Bigdog

Reaction score
Would this kid even think of a small school if not for Deion is what this is about. No doubt being a 5 star recruit he has gotten letters from big time programs that is what 5 star will do. So why would he turn his back on Alabama, Clemson for small time football, yep....Deion.

High school all americans passing up big time NCAA football for D3 football, really? What schools?
Tufts University, Amherst College, Ithaca College, Messiah College, University of Chicago. They didn’t do it for football but for soccer. May not have the same flair as football but still lots of kids do it especially when they pass up playing at powerhouses like Clemson, Notre Dame, Georgetown where they can play in front of thousands of people. Got give credit to Deion for getting the kid to come to Jackson St although the kid should not to a school solely on the coach since the coach might not be there the whole time your there.

Last edited:

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
Those kids do have a chance to play in big schools. The thing about those big schools is that they tell the kids when and what position they will play most of the time.

With a small school like Jackson St and Deion, he can promise that they can play in multiple positions which will enhance their chance at the NFL because it not only display the skillset, but willingness to learn and perfect a secondary position (I believe it was announced the cb will be playing wr as well). Also, small schools would put their best players that will help them win and not based on the position the player play.

RaZon

Reaction score
Tufts University, Amherst College, Ithaca College, Messiah College, University of Chicago. They didn’t do it for football but for soccer. May not have the same flair as football but still lots of kids do it especially when they pass up playing at powerhouses like Clemson, Notre Dame, Georgetown where they can play in front of thousands of people. Got give credit to Deion for getting the kid to come to Jackson St although the kid should not to a school solely on the coach since the coach might not be there the whole time your there.

So playing vs obviously less talented athletes is the way to go? Playing in front of 12. 000 instead of 80,000 is a good thing?

Ok man if you say so.

RaZon

Reaction score
Those kids do have a chance to play in big schools. The thing about those big schools is that they tell the kids when and what position they will play most of the time.

With a small school like Jackson St and Deion, he can promise that they can play in multiple positions which will enhance their chance at the NFL because it not only display the skillset, but willingness to learn and perfect a secondary position (I believe it was announced the cb will be playing wr as well). Also, small schools would put their best players that will help them win and not based on the position the player play.

So you are a 5star recruit out there vs no star recruits in front of small crowds with no national interest at all. Well my son won't be playing at Jackson State with letters from Alabama, Georgia, Clemson right over there.

I often think back to my high school football days, those few write ups in the local paper, my picture in the paper. When my son thinks back at his football life I want him thinking about that game vs Alabama not Alabama A&M.

Last edited:

Bigdog

Reaction score
So playing vs obviously less talented athletes is the way to go? Playing in front of 12. 000 instead of 80,000 is a good thing?

Ok man if you say so.
I didn't say it but that is what some athletes want and it is their decision. Some people go to college for the overall experience and not for the admiration of playing big time sports.

RaZon

Reaction score
I didn't say it but that is what some athletes want and it is their decision. Some people go to college for the overall experience and not for the admiration of playing big time sports.

I had a feeling you weren't getting this. This kid is a......5star recruit.....his thing is NFL football, he's not going to any college for .....overall experience. This is about getting ready for pro football. Playing less talented athletes isn't how it's done and every time the NFL deals with any HBCUers it's always.....well the level of opposition wasn't the best, hmmmm?

Deion has no business trying to steal any kid way from big time NCAA football.

csirl

Reaction score
I kmow a kid who chose a small school over some bigger programmes. Kid has issues with academics, but was good in one subject. The smaller college had a course he was interested in and suited his academic talents. Took a full scholarship to the small college. Was fortunate as he had a serious knee injury later and had to stop playing. Had the course to fall back on and got his degree.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
So pass up on playing in a National Championship game

How many NFL players played in an National Championship game?

Let the kid go to college where he wants. If he doesn't want to stay there, transferring is relatively easy. You get one time transfer to not sit out. who cares

RaZon

Reaction score
How many NFL players played in an National Championship game?

Let the kid go to college where he wants. If he doesn't want to stay there, transferring is relatively easy. You get one time transfer to not sit out. who cares

So you really think this kid thought.......I need to go to Jackson State for my education and NCAA football experience? I would wager he had never heard of Jackson State until Deion come calling.

If this kid is a 5 star recruit he has no business at a Jackson State, pretty much a common sense thing. What does he gain playing small time football, yep....nothing.

Memories are a big deal, I have mine, so he will think back on his days vs Alcorn when it could have been Auburn, What a memory taking down Alabama State when it could have been Alabama.