What did everyone think about Seattle blatantly breaking the rules to block Minnesota’s FG on Monday

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
The problem is that while the NFL piles on the idiot rules they still can't get obvious things like this right. Clown League.

I think Byron has gotten a couple of these over the years. I recall feeling that one was pretty ticky tack.

This one could not have been more obvious. Even if you're unclear on the rule, you can't miss how unfootball like it looked. And they didn't.

But how then do refs pile together and still get the call wrong? Nobody knows what the hell their jobs are.
This should get fixed right away. Refs miss things. This type play needs to be reviewable. If Seattle does this crap vs us in the Playoffs, and wins on a late FG block, some of you might realize how blatantly illegal and unethical this play is!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I'm not so sure it was leverage. Could have been. Could have been hands down to maintain balance. Usually something like that is always called when the player puts his hands up high and vaults up. In this case I just his hands go down and to his side.
Rewatch it. It was definitely leverage.

Flamma

Reaction score
I watched it again. He did not use his hands to leap. He had already jumped before his hands went down. He also barely touched those guys. He basically used them for balance.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I thought DLaw got screwed...thats what I thought watching that.

as for the recovery/non-recovery in our game...they had 4Qtrs to do something about it.There were bad calls...thru out...on both sides...BUT OUR DEFENSE HELD THEM TO 68 TOTAL YDS AND 0 PTS IN THE 1ST HALF....no guarantee they score there....they didnt the entire 1st half.
The right team won.....eagles didnt lose that game.....refs didnt lose that game...
DALLAS WON IT.
:starspin:BEAT indy:starspin:
Yep, scores in a game seem to dictate other future scores in a game. Even if Philly scored 7 there it does not mean they would have won by 7. It simply does not work that way.

I think they become like an alternate reality - the game may have gone completely different - no telling the outcome.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If you were allowed to step on your teammates backs, guys would be using their teammates to launch themselves over the line, like circus tigers. FG percentages would go down to 25%, and someone would probably break their back when an O lineman comes up and flips a guy.
I was exaggerating.........a bit. :laugh:

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I don’t get people wanting a fine for a team because the refs didn’t call an obvious penalty
Every team pushes the envelope till the refs make the call
CB’s grab as much as the refs let them. Receivers fake accidentally running into them on passing routes
Letting air out of the ball, bugging the other teams, that’s cheating
Using leverage right in front of the ref on a play that won them the game was a gamble that it wouldn’t get called
Anger should be at those who’s job it is to call the penalty
Organizations should not be practicing plays that are blatantly illegal. Like one poster said, that didn’t even look like a football move. Also refs can’t see everything. Simple fix, everything is reviewable. This would not slow game down much at all because coaches would still only have so many challenges. All FG attempts should be reviewed though( there is a lot of stuff going on the refs can’t see)

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
To me the missed call is like Speeding, if you don't catch me or pull me over then no foul. lol It was a bad call and a costly call for Minn, it took away their last chance in a close game
What if Seattle beats us in the Playoffs with that illegal play on a 20 yard FG? How will you feel?

conner01

Reaction score
Organizations should not be practicing plays that are blatantly illegal. Like one poster said, that didn’t even look like a football move. Also refs can’t see everything. Simple fix, everything is reviewable. This would not slow game down much at all because coaches would still only have so many challenges. All FG attempts should be reviewed though( there is a lot of stuff going on the refs can’t see)
I don’t know about everything reviewable but that play seems like it should be
I doubt they practiced it all week with leverage since the penalty is servers
I suspect they practiced to just leap over but that rarely works

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I thought every scoring play is reviewed.?

I know there was no call on the infraction..

but honestly..

What a missed call.
I guess it’s not a scoring play unless the FG is good. I think every FG attempt should be reviewable. It’s crazy Minnesota could not challenge that play.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I thought they got lucky getting away with it. Like the Cowboys got lucky when they fumbled that kickoff, the Eagles clearly recovered and they still retained the football.
Completely different situations. We made a physical mistake and fumbled. No cheating involved! The refs had no conclusive evidence who recovered the ball, so we kept possession.

Seattle purposely practiced and executed an illegal play and got away with it because the refs didn’t see the play, and the play was not reviewable.

The Seahawks cheated we did not!!!

visionary

Reaction score

mmohican29

Reaction score
Seattle is coached to break the rules. They all look for any way to get away with breaking them. The officials and the NFL are responsible once again for the blatant favoritism that keeps happening for Seattle.

This is pretty much true.

Their Defensive philosophy is grab and hold every down, to the point where the official must accept it or the game goes nowhere.
Their stadium is loud as it is, and it is no secret that they pump in additional noise over the PA. The league needs the 12th Man mystique, so they have never addressed it.

Don't get me wrong, Seattle is a very good team. But indeed there is much steeper than average disadvantage to playing them in their building.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Penalty: (for (a) through (h)): Loss of 15 yards from the succeeding spot or whatever spot the Referee, after consulting
with the crew, deems equitable. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down.

(o) Jumping or standing on a teammate or opponent to block or attempt to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick.
(p) Placing a hand or hands on a teammate or opponent to gain additional height to block or attempt to block an opponent’s
kick or apparent kick, or in an attempt to jump through a gap to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick.

(q) Picking up a teammate to block or attempt to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick.
(r) Running forward and leaping across the line of scrimmage in an obvious attempt to block a field goal or Try Kick, or
apparent kick, unless the leaping player was in a stationary position on the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped. A
player, who is behind the line of scrimmage before or at the snap, may run forward and leap, provided he does not cross
the line of scrimmage or land on players.

Nope you are wrong

I mean this is textbook leverage. I've seen odd calls where a player that tries to hurdle and trips gets called for it, you saw Lawrence get flagged for something on the extra point that was wild.

This IS leverage. There is no debate here.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Plus the Goedert PI on the long touchdown. Now they ended up scoring a TD on that drive anyway but that was a horrific call.

Bad call yes.

Horrific call? No.

Gregory's PF was bad as well.
Tyron Hold was pretty bad.
Zeke's helmet call was bad.

3rd down on opening drive was a terrible non PI that wasn't even discussed.

We caught a break or two, but so did the Eagles all night, and especially when they were clinging to life. We had some touchy calls that were apparently visible to very few for Philadelphia.

The correct team; ie: the better team- won this game.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Rewatch it. It was definitely leverage.

I don't know what people are looking at to say his helmet didn't rise. It's clear as day to me. He put his hands on them, and head pops up as he swings over.

But even if the head didn't seem to pop up in some angle, the center of mass certainly does as he swings the legs up while propped on other players. Center of mass is the relevant point to look at for elevation from leverage.

The leverage was used to get his legs to clear other players, not his head.