What direction would you take if the team is wiped out at S?

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
This is considered a deep safety draft - a position not usually given top priority. It's more likely there is enough depth at S still left at 58 that we consider going another route with the idea that a solid S will be there later. The FO has been known to do this. It's the same logic they used when they went Taco instead of CB in the 1st Rd two years ago and they ended up with Chido and Lewis, which worked out ok from the CB perspective (jury still out on Taco).

bodi

Reaction score
if all the safties are gone then I look for decent OT

Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama State
Trey Pipkins, OT, Sioux Falls

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
This is considered a deep safety draft - a position not usually given top priority. It's more likely there is enough depth at S still left at 58 that we consider going another route with the idea that a solid S will be there later. The FO has been known to do this. It's the same logic they used when they went Taco instead of CB in the 1st Rd two years ago and they ended up with Chido and Lewis, which worked out ok from the CB perspective (jury still out on Taco).
Good comparison, but you have it backwards.

In 2017, they needed a DE and CB. That draft was deeper at CB, so they went DE first, banking on still getting a CB they liked in the 2nd and it worked.

This year, there's a need on the DL and S. This draft is DEEP at DL....deeper than S. The draft is actually top heavy with safeties more so than deep overall. So it makes much more sense to wait on DL and grab the S at #58.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I hate not having a sixth, this is a deep draft and there are a lot of day three guys that could have a real chance to make the team. We'll just have to disagree on Saunders I wouldn't be surprised if he was there at 90. But If someone falls to us out of the first you bet I'm all in.

I think they're realistically zeroed in on three guys.
1. Rapp
2. Thornhill
3. Allen

Allen was not on the visit list...

bodi

Reaction score
These guys at 58?

yup

this from walter

Height: 6-5. Weight: 322. Arm: 34.38. Hand: 10.63.
40 Time: 5.05. 10-Yd: 1.81. Three Cone: 8.34.
Bench: 21. Vertical: 29.5. Broad: 8-7.
Projected Round (2019): 2-3.
4/13/19: Last year, ***USER-BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1*** was first to report that North Carolina A&T offensive tackle Brandon Parker had impressed NFL scouts and was a legit pro prospect. Parker went to the Senior Bowl and did well enough there to end up being a third-round pick in the 2017 NFL Draft. This year, team sources told me that Howard could follow a similar track. Howard has drawn positive reviews from area scouts. He had some struggles in Mobile against the better competition, but showed developmental potential. Howard is a really good athlete with excellent size, quality length, and a natural build. He could develop into a good starting left tackle if he lands with the right team.

Read more: http://***USER-BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1***/draft2019OT.php#ixzz5lqYSTuQ1

Read more at http://***USER-BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1***/draft2019OT.php#q0T5u8pPWBIlaxXS.99

Trey Pipkins, OT, Sioux Falls - REally like this kids size
Height: 6-6. Weight: 309. Arm: 33.88. Hand: 9.63.
40 Time: 5.12. 10-Yd: 1.75. Three Cone: 7.61.
Bench: 16. Vertical: 33.5. Broad: 9-6.
4/13/19: Pipkins was in the running with Syracuse defensive tackle Chris Slayton as the best player at this year's East-West Shrine. The 6-foot-7, 307-pound Pipkins has good length and a nice build to him. He showed nice feet in the position drills, and also used his size, length, and strength to tie up edge rushers in the pass-rushing one-on-ones. Pipkins faces a big jump in competition, but after some developmental time as a backup, he could be a starter. After his strong week in St. Petersburg, team sources said they thought that Pipkins would be a second- or third-round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

David Edwards*, OT, Wisconsin
Height: 6-6. Weight: 308. Arm: 33.38. Hand: 9.75.
40 Time: 5.28. 10-Yd: 1.80. Three Cone: 7.69.
Vertical: 25.5. Broad: 8-3.
Projected Round (2019): 3-5.
4/13/19: Some team sources are very down on how Edwards played in 2018. "He played like s--t," one AFC national scout texted me. They have given him grades on the second day of the 2019 NFL Draft and feel that he wasn't nearly as good as his 2017 performance. Edwards is a right tackle for the NFL. He should have returned to school to improve before going pro, but he decided to enter the 2019 NFL Draft.

Edwards is a quality run blocker who has strength and can manipulate defenders in the ground game. He does not have the feet, quickness or athleticism to be a left tackle in the NFL. Against BYU, Edwards really struggled to handle Corbin Kaufusi, getting bull rushed into the quarterback, knocked on his butt, and giving up some critical pressures late in BYU's road upset. He also had ugly performances against Michigan and Northwestern.

8/28/18: Edwards had a quality 2017 season as the right tackle for the Badgers. He is a tough run blocker who is strong at the point of attack. For the NFL, Edwards needs to improve his pass protection and his ability to take on speed rushers.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Anywhere where you could conceivably get a starter or heavy role player. Practically nothing would be off the table.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Allen was not on the visit list...
Does not matter, they did at least meet with him at the Senior Bowl is some capacity.

He is a "safe" player that may not have needed to be vetted a lot.

The Official 30 list is not always what Dallas does. They might would like it, but with the #58 pick, they would have to be geniuses to bring it every guy that they might have a shot at nearly 60 players in.

Sydla

Reaction score
yup

this from walter

Height: 6-5. Weight: 322. Arm: 34.38. Hand: 10.63.
40 Time: 5.05. 10-Yd: 1.81. Three Cone: 8.34.
Bench: 21. Vertical: 29.5. Broad: 8-7.
4/13/19: Last year, ***USER-BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1*** was first to report that North Carolina A&T offensive tackle Brandon Parker had impressed NFL scouts and was a legit pro prospect. Parker went to the Senior Bowl and did well enough there to end up being a third-round pick in the 2017 NFL Draft. This year, team sources told me that Howard could follow a similar track. Howard has drawn positive reviews from area scouts. He had some struggles in Mobile against the better competition, but showed developmental potential. Howard is a really good athlete with excellent size, quality length, and a natural build. He could develop into a good starting left tackle if he lands with the right team.

Read more: http://***USER-BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1***/draft2019OT.php#ixzz5lqYSTuQ1

Read more at http://***USER-BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1***/draft2019OT.php#q0T5u8pPWBIlaxXS.99

Trey Pipkins, OT, Sioux Falls - REally like this kids size
Height: 6-6. Weight: 309. Arm: 33.88. Hand: 9.63.
40 Time: 5.12. 10-Yd: 1.75. Three Cone: 7.61.
Bench: 16. Vertical: 33.5. Broad: 9-6.
4/13/19: Pipkins was in the running with Syracuse defensive tackle Chris Slayton as the best player at this year's East-West Shrine. The 6-foot-7, 307-pound Pipkins has good length and a nice build to him. He showed nice feet in the position drills, and also used his size, length, and strength to tie up edge rushers in the pass-rushing one-on-ones. Pipkins faces a big jump in competition, but after some developmental time as a backup, he could be a starter. After his strong week in St. Petersburg, team sources said they thought that Pipkins would be a second- or third-round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

David Edwards*, OT, Wisconsin
Height: 6-6. Weight: 308. Arm: 33.38. Hand: 9.75.
40 Time: 5.28. 10-Yd: 1.80. Three Cone: 7.69.
Vertical: 25.5. Broad: 8-3.
Projected Round (2019): 3-5.
4/13/19: Some team sources are very down on how Edwards played in 2018. "He played like s--t," one AFC national scout texted me. They have given him grades on the second day of the 2019 NFL Draft and feel that he wasn't nearly as good as his 2017 performance. Edwards is a right tackle for the NFL. He should have returned to school to improve before going pro, but he decided to enter the 2019 NFL Draft.

Edwards is a quality run blocker who has strength and can manipulate defenders in the ground game. He does not have the feet, quickness or athleticism to be a left tackle in the NFL. Against BYU, Edwards really struggled to handle Corbin Kaufusi, getting bull rushed into the quarterback, knocked on his butt, and giving up some critical pressures late in BYU's road upset. He also had ugly performances against Michigan and Northwestern.

8/28/18: Edwards had a quality 2017 season as the right tackle for the Badgers. He is a tough run blocker who is strong at the point of attack. For the NFL, Edwards needs to improve his pass protection and his ability to take on speed rushers.

The question was more in line with the idea that we have to use yet another premium pick on an OL. That would give us 3 first round picks on OL, two second round picks and then a guy in Collins who probably would have been a first round pick.

You don't (or shouldn't) need to invest that much to cobble together a good OL.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does not matter, they did at least meet with him at the Senior Bowl is some capacity.

He is a "safe" player that may not have needed to be vetted a lot.

The Official 30 list is not always what Dallas does. They might would like it, but with the #58 pick, they would have to be geniuses to bring it every guy that they might have a shot at nearly 60 players in.

The post I responded to said they had zeroed in on 3 players will Allen as one of the 3.

Obviously they might draft a player at #58 that didn't visit but it's a stretch to say they've zeroed in on Allen. The lack of a visit just makes it more of a stretch.

bodi

Reaction score
The question was more in line with the idea that we have to use yet another premium pick on an OL. That would give us 3 first round picks on OL, two second round picks and then a guy in Collins who probably would have been a first round pick.

You don't (or shouldn't) need to invest that much to cobble together a good OL.

I under stand that

Mr_437

Reaction score
I always look at the financial angle, if S is wiped out, DT is the next position. Every DT contract is up after this season, Cowboys have to add at one guy, and he needs to be good.

You can get a RB off the scrap heap, TE, WR room is full, OT I could see as a dark horse, CB would be acceptable considering BJ n AB contracts and DE cause solid talent could slip.

DT - Allen
CB - Oruwariye
DE - Ferguson
OT - I have no clue

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
BPA at position of need, which would probably be Deebo even when we weren’t wiped out.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If Safety is wiped out, I personally think they'll look at the best CB, especially one with safety experience. Other words, the best player of need ......CB, TE, DT

One thing for sure, Jerry gunning for the HIGHEST value possible with 58, even with the risk. I can see him saying had him ranked as a first rounder (lol).

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
The Cowboys have been in this position many times needing a safety to fall to their selection in round 2. It's never happened as Safeties are always in high demand, usually come off the board within the top 10 picks of the round.

If the team is indeed wiped out at the position, which direction would you like them to take:

-Best player available on their board, any position
-Best player at a need position
-Select a player higher as they don't believe he will be there at 90
-Try to trade back to acquire another day 3 selection

I would take the best player available, no matter which position.
I would trade back.

Take 58 and see if we can get a #1 in 2020 or at least a higher 2nd.

We are set at safety for now as well as DL.

We need backup RB and LBer.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I always look at the financial angle, if S is wiped out, DT is the next position. Every DT contract is up after this season, Cowboys have to add at one guy, and he needs to be good.

You can get a RB off the scrap heap, TE, WR room is full, OT I could see as a dark horse, CB would be acceptable considering BJ n AB contracts and DE cause solid talent could slip.

DT - Allen
CB - Oruwariye
DE - Ferguson
OT - I have no clue

Agreed, and RIP Nipsey

DanA

Reaction score
It comes down to individuals but I suspect if safety was wiped out we might have a corner highest on our board. I just don't see a good DT being there at 58.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I would have said DL, but as the chips fall it kinda looks like the bottom of the 2nd is sorta no mans land in value. Value looks like it'll extend as far as top 50 picks, then a little dropoff, then picks up as you get into the 3rd a bit.

So, TE or CB probably. If theres a run on DL and safeties, there will probably be a guy or two left that's good value. Like Sternberger/Knox or that Penn State CB/Bunting.