What do Erst, Kelsey and Gronk have in common?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
A QB that considers them primary targets.

And how does this make their QB elite?

By allowing their QB to exploit match ups that favor their style of play.

I watched the games this weekend and saw what a difference an offensive TE can make to their offense.

Our TEs are a legacy of the WR by Committee approach that failed so miserably up until the Cooper trade.

I really believe until DAK has his Witten replacement...

we will never be productive enough offensively to win big games in the playoffs.

When the defense takes away Zeke and dares you to beat them passing..

then that is what you have to do.

I am hoping we can find a TE in FA as drafting has never worked except with Witten.

To me we are one FS and one TE way from being a top 4 team.

The FS thing has been discussed ad nausium. So not here.

Comments?

Batman1980

Reaction score
You mean Ertz, Kelce and Gronkowski? They're all ridiculously talented, although Gronk is fragile and doesn't block. We don't have a TE like that on this roster. I say go get Cook and draft one early that can vacuum up middle of the field targets like Witten used to.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the requirement is that a TE be a star in his first season then we will never have a replacement for Witten. By that standard, Witten himself wouldn’t have met the requirement.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
If the requirement is that a TE be a star in his first season then we will never have a replacement for Witten. By that standard, Witten himself wouldn’t have met the requirement.
I did not use the word 'star'.

You did.

Would I like one of those guys.,sure.

But I am discussing the style of play a good TE allows you to play..

not whether he is all pro or not.

It's just an observation.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Jarwin is still a TE2, as is Swaim. Schultz is a TE3 as is, Gathers is practice squad fodder. Cook or Brate would be my preference in free agency to replace Swaim and then a draft pick from the 2nd round. Would probably not be a reach, this is a very deep TE class but we'll want the type that can win you games.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score

I watched the games this weekend and saw what a difference an offensive TE can make to their offense.

Our TEs are a legacy of the WR by Committee approach that failed so miserably up until the Cooper trade.

we will never be productive enough offensively to win big games in the playoffs.

I am hoping we can find a TE in FA as drafting has never worked except with Witten.

Comments?
How you doing brother? Hope everything is good

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I did not use the word 'star'.

You did.

Would I like one of those guys.,sure.

But I am discussing the style of play a good TE allows you to play..

not whether he is all pro or not.

It's just an observation.

You used Ertz, Gronkowski and Kelse as the examples, and you have dismissed the current TEs after their first year. If they don’t have to be a star, then why would we dismiss the current guys? They clearly came on nicely toward the end of the season.

lukin2006

Reaction score

Comments?

We need an elite TE...

ItzKelz

Reaction score
You mean Ertz, Kelce and Gronkowski? They're all ridiculously talented, although Gronk is fragile and doesn't block. We don't have a TE like that on this roster. I say go get Cook and draft one early that can vacuum up middle of the field targets like Witten used to.
This is totally false. In fact I give Gronk props for becoming primarily a blocking TE because that was in the best interest of the team and not complaining about it.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

Comments?
Stephen Jones agrees with you. I also believe Dak throwing style favors TE and a scat back. Let's see what are front office does.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I mean you’re right. They usually are their QB’s primary targets.

That being said, they are all extremely talented players, whose skill set, dictates that they are deserving of being the offenses go-to-guy.

The same could have been said for Witten for many years, particularly on 3rd downs.

The problem for us is, we don’t have a TE who is worthy of that right now.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Comments?

I think Kelce would've been fine in Dallas, but they took Gavin Escobar in that draft instead. The Chiefs took Kelce 16 picks later.

LovinItAll

Reaction score

This comment makes you unqualified to ever again make any point about NFL football. Aside from the fact that he blocks like the beast he is, even the announcers noted his blocking proficiency during the game yesterday.