What do you think Dak will do?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Excellent question. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't sign the tag. That injury has to be in the back of his mind influencing his thoughts. In the NFL, you're always in danger of a career ending injury. While 37 million is a lot of money, it pales in comparison to what he could make over a career.

Another question is, does he value being a Cowboy over money? How about being a part of a better overall team over money?

The next few weeks will be interesting.
I agree and 37M is a lot until that's compared to 120M at the minimum. And he has an agent that wouldn't try to sell him on signing the tag, might be just the opposite.

Think about this. That ankle is his plant foot, the one in back that he can't see what's coming behind him or getting blocked into him. That's tricky for any right handed QB but he gets rolled up on that ankle and that could be it. Is he willing to take that risk for 37M or wait and take it for 100M+ guaranteed?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree the hiring of Nolan is on McCarthy however would not fire him just as I would not have fired Jimmy for hiring Dave Shula as our OC when he got here, once Shula was fired and Norv Turner was brought in to replace him did the offense start to click. I put full responsibility on McCarthy for the hire but at least it was McCarthy hire not Jerry or Stephen.
And we were celebrating McC getting to hire his own staff.

SaltyNovice

CowboysRangers
Reaction score
I think I am in the minority here...I have a feeling he is done in Dallas.

I can’t understand why this is dragging out.
My gut tells me the same. I just don't feel like Dak really wants to be here. He sees greener pastures and a better life somewhere else. And someone will probably give him what he wants. He is just walking through the process that the NFL has set up for players that are good enough to get top position money and don't want to stay where they are. I think he wants out of the circus..."the greats show on earth" JMO

flyinghorse

Reaction score
Sign Another Tag On Tuesday......C’mon If They Were Going To Put A Contract Together For Dak They Would Of Done It By Now....Tuesday Tag Time

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he refuses to sign the tag, I believe he goes back to the same situation at 37 mil for the next tag. Not sure.
They would never do that, public opinion is too important to Booger and he's catching most of the heat for not getting this done. A tag is a form of failure, how long do they want to continue to fail?

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's how he's wired. I think his Mom instilled that in him. He has this uncommon confidence about himself and was able to step in as the DC QB as a rookie and that is not an easy task.

He also didn't dodge the question when asked about the ancillary events taking place at the games and I like that about him. His Mom should be proud of the man she raised.

The one thing I don't like is his comment that everyone can get paid. It is not his job to manage the cap for them but that was an ignorant comment because his contract will directly affect other Cowboys players but that's the case with all of these QB's. There is no such thing as a home team discount form any player unless that is forced on him as it was Brady.

We see this as a team sport but it really isn't, every player is playing for himself and how much he can make while he can make it. Wouldn't have been any different back in the 60's and 70's, good luck keeping GB, DAL, MIN, PIT, KC and OAK together with FA.

I think using the word "greedy" toward Prescott is wrong. Every player should go to the wall to max out his earning power while playing. It is not their job to manage the cap.

Totally agree with the entirety of your post. As a footnote, it's not Dak's fault that Jerry and Stephen don't manage more efficiently than they do. Dak is simply doing what he must do to ensure his just rewards. Yet, I really hope he shows an inclination to allow his team a chance to find success by not demanding more than they can handle. I'm sure Jerry and Stephen are doing their best. They're just not good enough at what they do. That's certainly no fault of Dak. Todd France made it a point to remind our FO of their shortcomings and he's correct in saying so. I just hope this thing works out for the best, after all is said and done. ;)

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
They would never do that, public opinion is too important to Booger and he's catching most of the heat for not getting this done. A tag is a form of failure, how long do they ant to continue to fail?

I agree that a tag is a failure and a big hit to the cap. If they can get Dak signed I can promise his salary cap hit year 1 will be well below 37 million. The contract will of course escalate season by season but so will the cap. Fully expect to see an out in the deal within the 1st 2 years and restructuring if Dak and this team are challenging for a title.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As long as that player isn't interested in winning, then you are correct. If that player wants to win, then the cap is his job, just as it is every player. Mahomes signed a 10 year deal because it was his job to make the cap manageable. Brady signed for 25 mil because it is his job to make the cap manageable.

Coach, I think what you've missed is that the Cowboys aren't asking Dak to play for peanuts, the 35 mil/season contract is already maxed out. Dak wants more than the max.
I wouldn't use that Mahomes deal as an example of anything. That deal will last for maybe 3 years before it gets redone, just like GB is going to do for Rodgers.

Brady had no choice and Kraft said so. Brady wanted to stay in NE and for Garoppolo to be gone.

I agree that's a ton o dough but I do not think this is just about the money. That QB pecking order is real in the NFL and it doesn't start with rings but with dollars. That's why Rodgers isn't happy, his ego will not allow for it. And I am not calling these guys out for ego because that is a trait of the position and all the greats had it.

These is something magical about France and 2024 and having Prescott as complete FA, he wants the tag to be removed from the options the team would have with his QB then.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My gut tells me the same. I just don't feel like Dak really wants to be here. He sees greener pastures and a better life somewhere else. And someone will probably give him what he wants. He is just walking through the process that the NFL has set up for players that are good enough to get top position money and don't want to stay where they are. I think he wants out of the circus..."the greats show on earth" JMO
I think there is something to that. His dream job was DC QB and he's done that and maybe he's tired of the circus and would prefer a change.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
He’s come this far so if I’m him and playing on the tag and going to FA and getting paid by someone.

I wish I knew what Mike’s thoughts on this whole thing are. That would be amazing to get his feel.
I'm with you on this. I mean, does the head coach not have an opinion on this important issue. After all, its his job that is on the line, not Jerry and Stephen.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Dak will probably sign the tag & will be gone next season IF Dallas doesn't give him a contract.

visionary

Reaction score
What do you think Dak is gonna do??

Follow the money

He will either hold out to get 40 million/y over 3-4 year deal or play on the tag and leave next year

Jerry will most likely give in and give him the 4 year deal

If I’m the Cowboys, if he does not sign a 5 year deal then he has shown me he has nothing for the team and I draft a QB at 10 (or higher) and trade him once he signs the tag

phildadon86

Reaction score
Sign Another Tag On Tuesday......C’mon If They Were Going To Put A Contract Together For Dak They Would Of Done It By Now....Tuesday Tag Time
Deadlines make deals. The Cowboys dont have the room too tag him. This weekend is going to be very interesting.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
They would never do that, public opinion is too important to Booger and he's catching most of the heat for not getting this done. A tag is a form of failure, how long do they want to continue to fail?
I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of Jerry being sensitive to public opinion.

This is the guy who:
Fired Tom Landry.
Fired Jimmy Johnson.
Reached way out there to draft Quincy Carter as the QB of the future.
Stuck with Romo when Tony was the whipping boy for fans and media.
Signed TO which played a role in driving away the best coach he ever hired.
Has made it a habit of signing/drafting reclamation projects.
Drove away the best coach he ever hired. Twice.
Stuck with Garrett for a decade.
Has ignored the cries of "pay the man" from fans and media.
Has ignored for 25 years the legitimate criticisms of his record as a GM.

The only time I can recall that Jerry seemed to give a hoot about public opinion was when he passed on Moss because of alleged character issues which ironically lead to a negative opinion of him from fans and media.

I guess it could be said that Jerry does care about the end goal of being perceived as a legitimate football man but he has consistently ignored public opinion in his effort to achieve that.

Hell, Dak probably would have already gotten his contract if the general public opinion was, don't pay the man. Against the grain and doing things his way is how Jerry has always rolled.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Let's go Dak! I think he signs a 4 year deal. He will make top dollar but we will structure it to push money further down and absorb a bigger hit in year four. Fortunately we will have most of the guaranteed money accounted for by then and we can either extend him or part ways without total cap devastation. It will still be a chunk but not catastrophic.

No way we do a 3 year deal and no way he does 5. Of course I've been wrong before.
um so if he signs 4 yr deal soon why did he not sign the 5 last year> its the same thing!!? if they were that close as they tried to imply as they just missed the deadline why not on the first day to start up negotiations again was it not signed..??

far more going non with this then years..now if hes pushing for 3 makes more sense. That hanging it up , jerry would jump at 4 because that was the intent on 5 last season. Who knows im over all this, i truly dont care anymore what they do..

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
What do you think Dak is gonna do??

I think he'll be tagged and then signed before the draft, or at worst before July deadline

Dak has more leverage over Dallas than maybe any player has ever had over any team. He's getting his money unless Jerry goes Al Davis and would rather lose than give in