What do you think Dak will do?

CWR

Reaction score
um so if he signs 4 yr deal soon why did he not sign the 5 last year> its the same thing!!? if they were that close as they tried to imply as they just missed the deadline why not on the first day to start up negotiations again was it not signed..??

far more going non with this then years..now if hes pushing for 3 makes more sense. That hanging it up , jerry would jump at 4 because that was the intent on 5 last season. Who knows im over all this, i truly dont care anymore what they do..

I think you answered your own question. Dak "pushes" for 3, Jerry pushes for 5, and they settle on 4. Of course you also asked "who knows," and its certainly not me. I'm taking a wild guess.

nobody

Reaction score
Good question, I have been wondering how he will treat the tag, if they use it. His agent wanted that left out, according to a report, so they don't like the tag, probably dislike it more than I do.

Does he sign it before the draft or put pressure on them that he might actually not sign it? It is unthinkable to us to consider that he wouldn't play for 37M for 1 season but is it to Prescott and his agent?

If they tag him and he doesn't sign by the draft, they need to draft a QB. It will give them leverage negotiating.

If they do tag him, can they rescind it as long as he hasn't signed it? It might be a good draft strategy if they're done with his demands. Tag him and if he doesn't sign rescind it right after they draft a QB so other teams aren't sure if the Cowboys will be after a QB in the draft or not.

Personally, if Dak says it's all about the length of the contract, then offer 32/year for 3 years OR 36/year for 4-5 years. His choice. No negotiations past that.

montgod

Reaction score
I think he is gonna ride it out and sign franchise tag at the last minute and play on it again and leave next year. There is a small chance, he might budge a little if it gets to that point (signing tag) cause he has seen the risk firsthand of getting injured and possibly losing the opportunity all together.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
My gut tells me the same. I just don't feel like Dak really wants to be here. He sees greener pastures and a better life somewhere else. And someone will probably give him what he wants. He is just walking through the process that the NFL has set up for players that are good enough to get top position money and don't want to stay where they are. I think he wants out of the circus..."the greats show on earth" JMO
The only circus is here at CZ

kskboys

Reaction score
I wouldn't use that Mahomes deal as an example of anything. That deal will last for maybe 3 years before it gets redone, just like GB is going to do for Rodgers.

Brady had no choice and Kraft said so. Brady wanted to stay in NE and for Garoppolo to be gone.

I agree that's a ton o dough but I do not think this is just about the money. That QB pecking order is real in the NFL and it doesn't start with rings but with dollars. That's why Rodgers isn't happy, his ego will not allow for it. And I am not calling these guys out for ego because that is a trait of the position and all the greats had it.

These is something magical about France and 2024 and having Prescott as complete FA, he wants the tag to be removed from the options the team would have with his QB then.
Why not? The Mahomes deal is what a QB does if he wants to win. The deal Dak is begging and whining for is the deal you do if winning isn't your goal.

And of course it will be reworked, that's the whole point, to be able to rework it to stay in contention. Or get there, whatever the case may be. Long term deals help a team. Short term maxed out deals hinder a team.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
My gut tells me the same. I just don't feel like Dak really wants to be here. He sees greener pastures and a better life somewhere else. And someone will probably give him what he wants. He is just walking through the process that the NFL has set up for players that are good enough to get top position money and don't want to stay where they are. I think he wants out of the circus..."the greats show on earth" JMO
Indeed, we can all ***** and moan from a fan base perspective,, but Dak retained his boy Todd for a reason.
Dak could care less about Jerry and this franchise and this fan base, Dak just stacking cash.
Lets all just try and be real here

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I think he'll be tagged and then signed before the draft, or at worst before July deadline

Dak has more leverage over Dallas than maybe any player has ever had over any team. He's getting his money unless Jerry goes Al Davis and would rather lose than give in
If they tag him the 37 mil hit immediately goes on the books. Then by March 19th they'll have to get under it. They can restructure some folks to get under the cap but that would leave nothing left for FA and barely enough to sign the draft picks. That's why I think he'll get signed before Tuesday. I'm not capologist and maybe there's other things they can do I'm not aware of but no doubt the 37 mill tag is going to prevent the team from improving other than via the draft.

pete026

Reaction score
Totally agree with the entirety of your post. As a footnote, it's not Dak's fault that Jerry and Stephen don't manage more efficiently than they do. Dak is simply doing what he must do to ensure his just rewards. Yet, I really hope he shows an inclination to allow his team a chance to find success by not demanding more than they can handle. I'm sure Jerry and Stephen are doing their best. They're just not good enough at what they do. That's certainly no fault of Dak. Todd France made it a point to remind our FO of their shortcomings and he's correct in saying so. I just hope this thing works out for the best, after all is said and done. ;)
Now that ain't Bull!

plasticman

Reaction score
I think he's going to have a great season regardless of his contract status. No way he's going anywhere else.

CWR

Reaction score
I think he is gonna ride it out and sign franchise tag at the last minute and play on it again and leave next year. There is a small chance, he might budge a little if it gets to that point (signing tag) cause he has seen the risk firsthand of getting injured and possibly losing the opportunity all together.

Good point, he's seen this risk. I believe it hasn't been a heavy yet. Most involved seem to think he will be fine, and he's still a bulldozer. BUT, if he manages to get injured again this year he will be labeled, and it will cost him.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why not? The Mahomes deal is what a QB does if he wants to win. The deal Dak is begging and whining for is the deal you do if winning isn't your goal.

And of course it will be reworked, that's the whole point, to be able to rework it to stay in contention. Or get there, whatever the case may be. Long term deals help a team. Short term maxed out deals hinder a team.
Main reason is that's the Chiefs, been to the NFCCG 3X and SB 2X and keeping Hill and Kelce are paramount to their success within this window.

If the Cowboys were in this same situation, we do not know what Prescott would do. Can you imagine the endorsement opportunities? He's got more than any QB now on a team with a mediocre record.

But this is not the case. The Cowboys have been handing out contracts like they're candy to a DE, RB, WR and LB and are they even close to sniffing a SB? Why should Prescott cut management a deal when they have yet to prove they can assemble anything but an average team. They going to take the savings and apply that like KC or NE have? Who is Prescott going to save on this 6-10 team by giving a deal other than maxing out what he can while he can.

Has any player really cut management a deal so they could acquire better talent? Ware could have done that but why would he? He got his jewelry by leaving these incompetents. He had already wasted enough time with these people.

So, the question is does Prescott feel that way? He doesn't want a long term deal because he wants a ring and the only way to get that is to move to another team? The only way we've seen any players cut a deal is to try and get that ring and most of them had already made good money.

ksk, Prescott has 4 years of watching this management squander the opportunity of the most affordable QB in the league. Posters want him to cut a deal for them, not himself. He's doing what all of them do, taking care of #1.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What do you think Dak is gonna do??
Hey, it's Friday night! He'll have some fun!

Maybe a little Mexican food and margaritas, some karaoke, a few games of cornhole, then a 2 am stop at the Waffle House before going home.

CWR

Reaction score
It's how he's wired. I think his Mom instilled that in him. He has this uncommon confidence about himself and was able to step in as the DC QB as a rookie and that is not an easy task.

He also didn't dodge the question when asked about the ancillary events taking place at the games and I like that about him. His Mom should be proud of the man she raised.

The one thing I don't like is his comment that everyone can get paid. It is not his job to manage the cap for them but that was an ignorant comment because his contract will directly affect other Cowboys players but that's the case with all of these QB's. There is no such thing as a home team discount from any player unless that is forced on him as it was Brady.

We see this as a team sport but it really isn't, every player is playing for himself and how much he can make while he can make it. Wouldn't have been any different back in the 60's and 70's, good luck keeping GB, DAL, MIN, PIT, KC and OAK together with FA.

I think using the word "greedy" toward Prescott is wrong. Every player should go to the wall to max out his earning power while playing. It is not their job to manage the cap.

Great post brutha. I agree, with all but one probably hypocritical comment. At a certain point I personally (as a player) would be concerned about winning. Not just because it's the ultimate team goal, but because with wins comes recognition and endorsements and more income. Dak can have a monumental contract and still leave the team modest flexibility. That should his goal in my humble opinion.

kskboys

Reaction score
Main reason is that's the Chiefs, been to the NFCCG 3X and SB 2X and keeping Hill and Kelce are paramount to their success within this window.

If the Cowboys were in this same situation, we do not know what Prescott would do. Can you imagine the endorsement opportunities? He's got more than any QB now on a team with a mediocre record.

But this is not the case. The Cowboys have been handing out contracts like their candy to a DE, RB, WR and LB and are they even close to sniffing a SB? Why should Prescott cut management a deal when they have yet to prove they can assemble anything but an average team. They going to take the savings and apply that like KC or NE have? Who is Prescott going to save on this 6-10 team by giving a deal other than maxing out what he can while he can.

Has any player really cut management a deal so they could acquire better talent? Ware could have done that but why would he? He got his jewelry by leaving these incompetents. He had already wasted enough time with these people.

So, the question is does Prescott feel that way? He doesn't want a long term deal because he wants a ring and the only way to get that is to move to another team? The only way we've seen any players cut a deal is to try and get that ring and most of them had already made good money.

ksk, Prescott has 4 years of watching this management squander the opportunity of the most affordable QB in the league. Posters want him to cut a deal for them, not himself. He's doing what all of them do, taking care of #1.
Of course, that's all obvious. That's why my conclusion, Dak is either really really dumb or doesn't want to be here. I'm leaning toward the latter.

CWR

Reaction score

But this is not the case. The Cowboys have been handing out contracts like their candy to a DE, RB, WR and LB and are they even close to sniffing a SB? Why should Prescott cut management a deal when they have yet to prove they can assemble anything but an average team. They going to take the savings and apply that like KC or NE have? Who is Prescott going to save on this 6-10 team by giving a deal other than maxing out what he can while he can.

Also a good point lol. If a player was to go that route I can only imagine the frustration when his team doesn't love up to their end of the bargain. It makes the idea a leap of faith for sure.