What do you think of McCarthy as HC thread

cowboyec

Reaction score
solid hire.
good coach.
excited to see the analytics dept he wanted to bring with him at his next stop get implemented here.
very forward thinking....innovative ideas.

biggest thing for me...helps Dak and our in game adjustments improve over night.

excited to see his staff.

:starspin:COWBOYS:starspin:

the_h0wey

Reaction score
You are already drinking the Kool aid. He had elite QB's to work with. Of course he has had a lot more success. Won't be the case here.. even though I do love Dak. He isn't elite though.
I'm drinking the Kool aid because I'm excited we have a coach that isn't Garrett, and has some major skins on the wall. Favre threw 29 picks the year before McCarthy got to Green Bay. He was huge in helping resurrect his career. Rodgers was NFL ready day 1 right? Wrong. He developed under McCarthy. He has a history of success with the QB's. He is a HUGE upgrade from Garrett. I'm sorry we weren't able to bring back Jimmy or Parcells. For what is out there this is a good hire

John813

Reaction score
TBD.

Think change was needed, but we'll see how this goes. Don't hate or love it.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
When Lincoln Riley, Dan Mullen, and Marvin Lewis are names thrown around then you can’t be too upset with Mike McCarthy. He was probably the most accomplished available candidate. Green Bay had like an 8 year stretch with winning seasons, a super bowl, some NFC Championship appearance. Yes he had Rodgers, but this has the potential to be the most talented overall team he’s ever worked with imo.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
He's basically another Jason Garrett.
Exactly my thought. He was ran out of GB after players complained about his offense being predictable and unimaginative. Just like Garrett.

After dealing with Jimmy and Parcells, I'm thinking Jerry doesn't want a headstrong HC anymore. He doesn't want his authority being challenged. That's why he keeps hiring nobodies and puppets.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
As i mentioned in the other thread.

- People are going to give rodgers all the credit for their SB. As yourself this though, What "talent" did mccarthy ever have on those teams but rodgers. Half the years he had no defense, no oline and no running game. When was the last "great" GB running back you've heard of.

- I would argue at times he ONLY had rodgers and made the playoffs 9 of 13 years.

- Guy commands instant respect because of that ring. How many SB winning coaches have we hired for this franchise in the last 20 years. This is a change from the norm.

- People are going to say "his offenses are just like garret". Our teams including this year was top 10 in offense and defense. That wasn't the issue. The issue came to game management, lack of preperation and lack of adjustments in close games.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'll wait and see. It depends on the staff he installs and how he impacts the draft.
:hammer: this is my only concern.. now we wont truly know the schemes as they arent going to announce it to the NFL prior to sept 1st lol but yes whos going to be his OC/DC/ST coach thats what I want to know..

any holdovers from this staff?

I just saw MM is targeting Mike Nolan for DC..not bad

mathew1184

Reaction score
I think its a good hire, we now have a Super Bowl winning head coach..feels pretty cool.

Im excited about it and when I saw the news, I was relieved it wasnt some semi succesful coordinator we hadnt heard about.

Turkish-Cowboy

Reaction score
It will be interesting if the Green Bay Packers win the Superbowl this year what the reaction around here would be. :facepalm:
While I think they will not be able to make it tp the SB, they now do have a coach in Lafleur who is a great one. That doesn't and wouldn't make MM a bad coach.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
Let’s see if he gets to pick his own staff, if he does, then I haven’t a problem with hiring him... I’m ok with him keeping Moore and see if they can work together, but we need a complete change at DC.

cml750

Reaction score
He definitely checks my main box for qualification in that he is not a Garrett.

That being said, I like his resume. I have no doubt he will be a huge upgrade to Jerry's decade long mistake. I hope they hire some good coordinators and he takes us to the promised land.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
As i mentioned in the other thread.

- People are going to give rodgers all the credit for their SB. As yourself this though, What "talent" did mccarthy ever have on those teams but rodgers. Half the years he had no defense, no oline and no running game. When was the last "great" GB running back you've heard of.

- I would argue at times he ONLY had rodgers and made the playoffs 9 of 13 years.

- Guy commands instant respect because of that ring. How many SB winning coaches have we hired for this franchise in the last 20 years. This is a change from the norm.

- People are going to say "his offenses are just like garret". Our teams including this year was top 10 in offense and defense. That wasn't the issue. The issue came to game management, lack of preperation and lack of adjustments in close games.

On the Rodgers thing. People need to drop it. Many great coaches and QBs did nothing

ultron

Reaction score
People look at the 2017-2018 Packers & how McCarthy's run ended, and perhaps it leaves a sour taste in their mouth, but if you look at it from an unbiased perspective - Quite frankly those Packers teams literally had almost next to no talent outside of d0uche stache [Rodgers]. This is probably the most talented roster that McCarthy has perhaps ever had & the guy has coached in 18 playoff games!! What other coach out there has that much playoff experience & a winning playoff record?

Also as far as Aaron Rodgers recent comments go, you need to think about the source - this guy doesn't even talk to or have a relationship with his OWN FAMILY!!!!! That to me speaks volumes about a person.

JMPearson

Reaction score
Brings new offensive scheme which we have not had since 2007 and is much needed. Rounding out staff his huge if he gets Lewis and some other guys from that Ravens tree I will be happy.

Maybe Boys will go get a safety

McCarthy tends to be pass happy though he did have Rodgers