What do you want

glimmerman

Reaction score
The problem though is if you pay him less than wentz, his number still went up after the wentz deal. Maybe before it was 27, but With everything he’s historically achieved as the qb of america’s Team, are his agents really ready to proclaim he’s worth 5m$ less a year than a guy who never even plays? With how many 30m+ QBs there are now, it would be shockingly to me personally if he refused that money and took sub-Cousins valuations. He’ll be a 30 guy, even if it is technically less than carson.
30 would make me comfortable. Give him a good signing bonus and guaranteed amount.

John813

Reaction score
I don't think they want to go into the season without a deal in place.

If you look at all of the spin coming out about Prescott in OTA's and Moore's plays making the players happy and add to that the most optimistic owner in the NFL, they get the deal done before camp. He doesn't want anything but a forward lean going into the season. And the FO wants to shut down the Dak talk before camp and get everyone resigned to the reality.

However, having said that, they don't know this forum. We still have posters complaining about what they paid Romo 5 years ago.

Definitely possible. Way I see it, Dak has way more tape than Romo in 2007 when they first extended him during the bye week.
However, this deal will be massive, and I think with Stephen having more say into the contracts now they very well could go back and forth with his agent for a long time, similar to D-Law's situation. If it wasn't for his shoulder surgery timeframe, or D-Law siding with SJ on the phone, that saga could still be ongoing now, like the Clowney situation.

This time of year there's always a positive spin in Big D. Hell, we had positive spin on guys like David Arkin and Bill Nagy during MC/TC years ago during their rookie year.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think that is exactly where their head is right now. Like you said, keeping the band together.
You and I know that they can’t afford to keep everyone. Sign what you can and continue to draft well.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Most of us have been around to witness our team with a crappy QB.... we've had too many to mention. Dak is far from crappy. Pay him and let's go get our 6th SB. Is overdue!
We had Romo and it was the same thing. Some hates him and some loves him. He had his problems but was like you said far from crappy.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
30 would make me comfortable. Give him a good signing bonus and guaranteed amount.
Funny, not too long ago we had posters going ballistic about giving him 25M. And they think this is not the effect of the QB market. If he gets 30M, it won't be long until he's out of the top 10 paid QB's. And guys like Aikman, Montana, Elway, Marino and Kelly are just in shock. All were better than any but Brady back in their day and look at what just a hump QB is getting.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I am thinking in between. Definitely less than Wilson and if his agent thinks he is getting that then if I and the FO then he is playing out his rookie deal and getting tagged. He had to come down to earth. And ya know maybe he isn’t looking for record breaking deals. He is gonna he set for life after his signing bonus anyways. Lol. And with what he is set to make this year a signing bonus and guaranteed money may mean a lot.

To me its like most of these contracts going back to Dez Bryant, they wait for the market to set. It has now and they will give Dak roughly what Wilson and Wentz got but with more guaranteed than Wentz but more money built into incentives than Wilson. The main difference is Dak won't have outclauses built in like Wentz.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Funny, not too long ago we had posters going ballistic about giving him 25M. And they think this is not the effect of the QB market. If he gets 30M, it won't be long until he's out of the top 10 paid QB's. And guys like Aikman, Montana, Elway, Marino and Kelly are just in shock. All were better than any but Brady back in their day and look at what just a hump QB is getting.
Lol. Still posters here wanting to pay 25 or less. Was likely never going to happen. 30 is almost low market value now. Heck Dak could roll the dice and refuse to sign and play out his rookie deal to let the market go up. With the way this team is shaping up and being healthy so far Dak can stay the same and have better numbers.

Techsass

Reaction score
I think he'll get signed and it will be fair to both sides.

Obviously they're offering less than they expect to pay him right now. Think Tank's deal. Why? Heck if I know. Our FO seems obsessed with drama.

Another consideration is that Jason isn't getting extended & the top candidates are split on coaching Dak.

glimmerman

Reaction score
To me its like most of these contracts going back to Dez Bryant, they wait for the market to set. It has now and they will give Dak roughly what Wilson and Wentz got but with more guaranteed than Wentz but more money built into incentives than Wilson. The main difference is Dak won't have outclauses built in like Wentz.
I am assuming a blend of the 2 with more on Daks side. Seeing what he is getting paid this year in the last year of his rookie deal I would tempt him with big signing bonus money. That instant money. Forget that 16 million up front Dak... how does 25 sound. Gets some of the guaranteed off our plate right.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol. Still posters here wanting to pay 25 or less. Was likely never going to happen. 30 is almost low market value now. Heck Dak could roll the dice and refuse to sign and play out his rookie deal to let the market go up. With the way this team is shaping up and being healthy so far Dak can stay the same and have better numbers.
Yep but I do believe he wants to get this done and behind him and let's not forget, he's one of the few QB's in his dream job, this is the job he always wanted since he was a kid.

And let's not forget, the part the players play with the NFLPA in driving the prices up. That's why they set a floor on what vets could take if they just wanted to get a ring.

There are dynamics here at work behind the scenes that do not involve us with agents and the NFLPA. The game behind the game.

glimmerman

Reaction score

Obviously they're offering less than they expect to pay him right now. Think Tank's deal. Why? Heck if I know. Our FO seems obsessed with drama.

Another consideration is that Jason isn't getting extended & the top candidates are split on coaching Dak.
I hate the fact that a new HC comes in and wants his own QB. When you have a talented player at QB then you should be able to work with him. I also think it will be a fair deal for both sides.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yep but I do believe he wants to get this done and behind him and let's not forget, he's one of the few QB's in his dream job, this is the job he always wanted since he was a kid.

And let's not forget, the part the players play with the NFLPA in driving the prices up. That's why they set a floor on what vets could take if they just wanted to get a ring.

There are dynamics here at work behind the scenes that do not involve us with agents and the NFLPA. The game behind the game.
Very true. Maybe why JJ wants to get some of these players signed. Before the next CBA, things once again will change. They have these players making so much money it’s crazy.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't think that last sentence is really a factor. They already made an offer, what we don't know, if they had a candidate that wasn't on board and he was their top choice, if Garrett is even on the train yet, they would just let him play it out, get their coach, get their QB and pay Dak for one year's services. That would be a lot cheaper.

If they have Garrett on the train already and are talking to candidates, I think it is Dak is the QB, that is the job. Not many teams are willing to do what AZ was and I think that's going to blow up in their face. Not many HC's get to choose their QB.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yep, my Dak thread. I am sure there isn’t but a few.

So what is it that you want from the FO. Honestly, we are for the most part all Cowboys fans on here and some obviously like Dak and some obviously hate Dak. But one thing we share is we want to win.

Either way the FO is convinced he is to be our franchise QB and are going to pay him and he will get market price which is 30-32 million an year. Judging from what Wilson and now wentz got. He don’t have the experience Wilson has or the ring. So I can’t see him getting that money. And wentz has a ring but he didn’t win the SB he was on the team at the time.

So what do you want, our FO to let him play out his contract and maybe use the tag on him if he gets better, then maybe sign him.

Cut him or trade him and tank a season to get a high draft pick or blow a draft up to trade up to get a high pick QB that you never know if they are gonna pan out.

Everyone saying 25 million a year is all they would pay is a nice thought but he won’t settle for that. Would you if you were him.

You can bet there is trade value there. And if we released him do you think a team wouldn’t grab him up and pay him.

Can’t wait to hear the responses. It’s the offseason so yeah.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...l-irvin-amari-cooper-dak-prescott/1437714001/
^^ This

Sydla

Reaction score
The problem though is if you pay him less than wentz, his number still went up after the wentz deal. Maybe before it was 27, but With everything he’s historically achieved as the qb of america’s Team, are his agents really ready to proclaim he’s worth 5m$ less a year than a guy who never even plays? With how many 30m+ QBs there are now, it would be shockingly to me personally if he refused that money and took sub-Cousins valuations. He’ll be a 30 guy, even if it is technically less than carson.

Maybe, maybe not. He might have been a $30MM guy anyway which was the rumor before Wentz even signed his deal.

What could be at play here is the general obsession Eagles fans have with thinking they are always sticking it to Dallas.......... they took the TE before Dallas did type stuff. So they have convinced themselves in signing Wentz they also hurt Dallas. So frankly, I am not quite buying what they are selling. There were reports Dak wanted $30MM or more before Wentz even inked his deal.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not. He might have been a $30MM guy anyway which was the rumor before Wentz even signed his deal.

What could be at play here is the general obsession Eagles fans have with thinking they are always sticking it to Dallas.......... they took the TE before Dallas did type stuff. So they have convinced themselves in signing Wentz they also hurt Dallas. So frankly, I am not quite buying what they are selling. There were reports Dak wanted $30MM or more before Wentz even inked his deal.

But he wasn’t signed yet because they weren’t going to give it to him. This may change that

Sydla

Reaction score
But he wasn’t signed yet because they weren’t going to give it to him. This may change that

Maybe or maybe not. Again, you are likely overvaluing the effect Wentz's signing had because it's in your DNA to think the Eagles hurt the Cowboys.