What do you want

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
If "every team has a better plan" (idiocy of course, but I'll play along) we can have him play out his contract this year and let him test FA. No one will pony up 20-25 mill/yr and we should be able to sign him for cheap

Yay!

I literally just said that will chance by free agency next year, just as QB situations do on multiple teams every single year. Or did you quote a post you didn’t read?

As for right now, Name me one team who doesn’t have a QB better or at least more invested in than Mike White/Cooper Rush. Make a list. Show me how much idiocy I have in doubting the great Cooper.

MyUserName

Reaction score
Everyone saying 25 million a year is all they would pay is a nice thought but he won’t settle for that. Would you if you were him.

You can bet there is trade value there. And if we released him do you think a team wouldn’t grab him up and pay him.
A) the guy was a fifth rounder, and while he’s played more like a second rounder, he hasn’t shown me he has much ceiling left. So yes, he should take it. It’s a helluva lot more than he’d have made in the CFL or sacking groceries. Plus it saves cap for them to keep/add quality talent around him.

B) there may be a bad team in a smaller market or less prestigious organization that would pay him, but who cares? If that’s what he wants, see ya!

C) I have zero faith his numbers or play will reach Romo level, so draft someone else next year and tell him he can go make his $$$ somewhere else. No reason he can’t be replaced with a second third tounder in 2020.

Techsass

Reaction score
A) the guy was a fifth rounder, and while he’s played more like a second rounder, he hasn’t shown me he has much ceiling left. So yes, he should take it. It’s a helluva lot more than he’d have made in the CFL or sacking groceries. Plus it saves cap for them to keep/add quality talent around him.

B) there may be a bad team in a smaller market or less prestigious organization that would pay him, but who cares? If that’s what he wants, see ya!

C) I have zero faith his numbers or play will reach Romo level, so draft someone else next year and tell him he can go make his $$$ somewhere else. No reason he can’t be replaced with a second third tounder in 2020.
I get it that you don't think Dak is our guy, but he's pretty much on par with the #1 & #2 picks in his draft class. Why do you think we can get a 2nd or 3rd rounder to do as well as has?

glimmerman

Reaction score

I respect your opinion totally.

But..

A - The FO is sold on him and are going to pay him franchise money. Market value is set. 32-34 per year. If I were JJ and convinced and sold on the kid then I would try to front end load it and get all the guaranteed money paid ASAP. We have cap room this year and next. I at least want to keep Cooper and Jaylon next.

Flamma

Reaction score

There are a couple of teams, but the Dolphins aren't one of them. At least not for another few seasons. The Dolphins just acquired first round pick Josh Rosen. They have him for almost nothing over the next 3 years.

Bengals would be high on the list. At the moment I can't think of any others that are as definite as the Bengals. That's not a lot of demand.

InTheZone

Reaction score
No one hates Dak, and if you're going include those that do it's going to be a very very small percentage.

If this team is willing to pay "market value" then I don't see what the rush is to sign him now instead of letting him play out his final year. He'll get market value either way, correct? So if there's once again no major progression in his game on game day, not practice, walk away.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are a couple of teams, but the Dolphins aren't one of them. At least not for another few seasons. The Dolphins just acquired first round pick Josh Rosen. They have him for almost nothing over the next 3 years.

Bengals would be high on the list. At the moment I can't think of any others that are as definite as the Bengals. That's not a lot of demand.
Dolphins said as they made the trade that this doesn't preclude them from taking a QB in the next draft so they are not all in on Rosen. I am not sure any team is all in on their QB in that draft except CLE. BUF and NYJ could go shopping again in 2020. If a team doesn't have 20M+ in a QB, why not? Better class of QB's coming up this next draft than this last one.

The prove it time for QB's has shrunk and if Dak hadn't had that unreal rookie year, they might be looking as well. Whatever they give him will only have them on the hook for the guarantee and that should max out around 4 years.

If Prescott were to hit the open market, I think we would be surprised at the interest and how much he could get.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Yep, my Dak thread. I am sure there isn’t but a few.

So what is it that you want from the FO. Honestly, we are for the most part all Cowboys fans on here and some obviously like Dak and some obviously hate Dak. But one thing we share is we want to win.

Either way the FO is convinced he is to be our franchise QB and are going to pay him and he will get market price which is 30-32 million an year. Judging from what Wilson and now wentz got. He don’t have the experience Wilson has or the ring. So I can’t see him getting that money. And wentz has a ring but he didn’t win the SB he was on the team at the time.

So what do you want, our FO to let him play out his contract and maybe use the tag on him if he gets better, then maybe sign him.

Cut him or trade him and tank a season to get a high draft pick or blow a draft up to trade up to get a high pick QB that you never know if they are gonna pan out.

Everyone saying 25 million a year is all they would pay is a nice thought but he won’t settle for that. Would you if you were him.

You can bet there is trade value there. And if we released him do you think a team wouldn’t grab him up and pay him.

Can’t wait to hear the responses. It’s the offseason so yeah.

Im replying to the thread title.. what I want is advancement to the the NFC Championship game,, just that chance to return to the SB..

This team rostered is better and was better than the Vikes and Eagles.. horrible coaching/game plan was the factor, can we over come that negative variable, with some improved staff.

This roster is not the issue.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Im replying to the thread title.. what I want is advancement to the the NFC Championship game,, just that chance to return to the SB..

This team rostered is better and was better than the Vikes and Eagles.. horrible coaching/game plan was the factor, can we over come that negative variable, with some improved staff.

This roster is not the issue.
I totally agree with you. JG has hit his ceiling as a HC. I have said before that our players have to win despite some of the staff. Once you get to then playoffs then teams and talent is more even across the board so coaching and game planning and being able to make adjustments comes into play, and we lack there.

Moore has been put into place to provide a change to the predictability and JJ has even said if his changes aren’t being put into place that Moore needs to let him know. That was a direct shot at JG. JJ not renewing his contract says a lot also.

snapper

Reaction score
Yep, my Dak thread. I am sure there isn’t but a few.

So what is it that you want from the FO. Honestly, we are for the most part all Cowboys fans on here and some obviously like Dak and some obviously hate Dak. But one thing we share is we want to win.

Either way the FO is convinced he is to be our franchise QB and are going to pay him and he will get market price which is 30-32 million an year. Judging from what Wilson and now wentz got. He don’t have the experience Wilson has or the ring. So I can’t see him getting that money. And wentz has a ring but he didn’t win the SB he was on the team at the time.

So what do you want, our FO to let him play out his contract and maybe use the tag on him if he gets better, then maybe sign him.

Cut him or trade him and tank a season to get a high draft pick or blow a draft up to trade up to get a high pick QB that you never know if they are gonna pan out.

Can’t wait to hear the responses. It’s the offseason so yeah.

I want:

1. Proven winner.
  2. Leader.
  3. Dependable.
  4. Durable.
  5. Coachable.
If he meets these standards, sign him.

Section446

Reaction score
I'd rather let him play out this season, even if it means we'll have to pay him $5 million more a year if he does well. To this point, he's proven that he can start in the league, but he hasn't taken the next step that you want your franchise QB to take.

Also, if he has a bad year, I have to assume that we'll be in line for a new HC. Who's to say that the new HC wants Dak as his QB? It just seems like the right thing to do to wait another year before locking him in.

Techsass

Reaction score
I'd rather let him play out this season, even if it means we'll have to pay him $5 million more a year if he does well. To this point, he's proven that he can start in the league, but he hasn't taken the next step that you want your franchise QB to take.

Also, if he has a bad year, I have to assume that we'll be in line for a new HC. Who's to say that the new HC wants Dak as his QB? It just seems like the right thing to do to wait another year before locking him in.
The very fact that they sound so sure about signing Dak makes me question just how hot JG's seat really is.

I think Dak is going to keep getting better at it, much like Wilson did.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I do not see anyway they don't sign him to a longer term deal because of the lack of options and I agree with that.

Does anyone here think the Dallas Cowboys are going to tank for a QB? Can you see the headlines and sports talk shows with that and you fans that buy tickets, are you on board with that? Ridiculous to even suggest it. Booger, Goodell and the rest of the owners wouldn't allow it.

So the next option is to package and trade up for a "sure thing " QB like Herbert or Tua or Lawrence the next year. There's only a couple of problems with that. First, assume the teams at the top of the draft don't want a QB and then assume the teams that do and what they'd be willing to give up. Want to get into a trading contest with them with this front office? And just how many teams would be vying for the chance to pick them? Think teams like NO, LAC and PIT aren't thinking about the next QB? There are no sure things but if Herbert and Tua have just improved seasons and look for Tua to get a hell of a lot more exposure because If Saban starts pulling him in the first half, good luck with recruiting stud QB's, the price for trading, if that is even a possibility, is going to be as high as the trade to pick Ricky Williams, only all of this year's picks won't do, have to dip into 2021.

Like it or not, Dak Prescott is the QB for the next 3-5 years and look at the guarantee and divide that by 4 and that's the hook. He's got a 66% win percentage and 2 of 3 division titles with a mediocre defense. What other QB has that in the last 3 seasons?

I am not saying he's great but he is not as bad as the Dakaters make him out to be either and not allowing for improvement in not only him but the offense in general, is showing nothing but they just flat don't want him, for whatever reason.

I am resigned to this happening and just hope it gets done soon so the venom can fly, the "there is no hope" threads can run and we can get back to something else like Elliott's contract. I see there is less resistance to that than the QB and that might be the biggest mistake this team can make. Especially if that costs the team a good top 10 cover corner.
Coach, you used to like the Drama. Lol

It’s these type of conflicts that drives activity on a fan forum.

But I agree. I think they want to get a deal done before Camp but somethings preventing them now. My hunch is it’s Coopers deal. What if we cant sign Cooper. What is Daks value without Cooper? We got a glimpse of that last year.

And what if Elliott is suspended? How does that effect Daks value . What does our offense under Dak look like in the onset without Elliott and or Cooper? We might look the fools for signing him to a Top 5 contract.

I have a feeling there’s several factors like these delaying a deal and giving FO reason for pause.