CFZ What does it take to win a Super Bowl?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
A lot of things. The talking heads searching for clicks will attribute every win or every loss to the QB. It’s just what they do. They’re paid to create controversy. But it takes more than the QB to make it to the big dance. You have to have a good running game. You have to have good receivers. You have to have good tight ends (this is really important for the female fans), I kid, I kid. And most importantly on the offense you have to have a really good offensive line. No QB, even the elite ones, can be consistently elite without that kind of team. Just look at how Brady, Rogers, Mahomes, Burrows and Jackson are doing. Now, look at how the Cowboys, Giants, Eagles and Vikings are doing. They’re playing well without elite QB’s.

You also have to have a better than average defense. Deficiencies in any of these areas will hamper your team just look at the elite QB’d teams I’ve mentioned.

Now look at the Bills. Middle of the pack running game and the #1 passing offense along with the #2 defense in the NFL. An elite QB like Allen, Mahomes, Rogers, Brady can overcome weaknesses in one are but they can’t overcome weaknesses in multiple ares of the team. Just can’t do it. I haven’t even touched on coaching which is another aspect of the team that must be good.

My point is that no matter how good your QB is, it takes a complete team to win a Super Bowl. Not just 1 player.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only way we ever win an SB is if our Defense develops into the 85 Bears or 2000 Ravens defense.
With what were paying our bus-driving QB GL trying to keep and sign the talent required for the above defenses.....

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Praxit

Reaction score
.....if I may add. Lots of unknown variables also come in to play.

But first, you must have a good team.

We have a good team. Main problem solved.

Then come all................................those.......................variables.

TWOK11

Reaction score
Also, the “complete team” theory is a myth. Lots of incomplete teams have won SBs. 17 times a team outside the top 5 in overall team efficiency has won it, and 6 times a team outside the top 10 did it. The “best team” by such metrics only wins the SB about 40% of the time in the NFL, much lower than the NBA or MLB. And this is largely because total team efficiency metrics don’t differentiate data based on what wins you games consistently. If you have the #1 rushing attack and #1 rush defense, you total team efficiency will be pretty high but you don’t throw the ball well or stop the pass well you’ll probably still finished at or below .500.

Five things generally define SB winners, in addition to luck with respect to injuries, regular season schedule difficulty, playoff matchups, etc:

A very efficient and explosive passing game
A very good passing efficiency defense
A good turnover margin
A good pass blocking OL
A high adjusted yards per play

All but 3 SB winners in the last 25 years has finished the season top 5 in at least 4 of those 5 categories. The 3 that didn’t finished #1 or #2 in 3 of the them.

Pass the ball well, generate explosive plays, stop the pass and create turnovers. That along with good fortune is how SBs are won.

RayA

Reaction score
The only way we ever win an SB is if our Defense develops into the 85 Bears or 2000 Ravens defense.
With what were paying our bus-driving QB GL trying to keep and sign the talent required for the above defenses.....
I’d be happy if our defense resembled the 2002 Bucs!

Bigdog

Reaction score
To have more points than the other team at the end of the game. Seriously though I think if you have a good defense you don’t need a really good qb. 2002 Ravens come to mind. Also a good coach and a role players who know their roles. But to top it off you need a discipline team that doesn’t make stupid penalties

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Matthew Stafford won the SB last year. Anything can happen.

Stafford proved that if a QB can put up numbers and has the right team around them they can win a Super Bowl despite leading the league in INT’s.

diamonddelts

Reaction score

Every post of his must have a Dak reference. 52 weeks per year. 365 days a year. 8,760 hours per year. PappyDog gon' pappy.