What Does Noland Think about the Nose Tackle?

rwalters31

Reaction score
We have seen how other teams have invested into the Nose tackle position with great success. So, what is the past of Noland defenses on Nose Tackles?

Praxit

Reaction score
..kidding me, when he see's Hill. He will think there's 2 JJwatts in that guy. ;)...

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Gee, he's a guy who has often used the 3-4 as a coordinator. He likely can't do that here right off the bat as it doesn't fit our personnel. However, if you favor a 3-4, even when you run 4-3 you are going to be very interested in having a trashcan full of dirt type guy at the nose.

garyo1954

Reaction score
The only place Mike Nolan has run a 4-3 was Atlanta. That defense picked 46 passes in three years. He finished 12th in DVOA his first year, but began to transition to a 3-4 which caused the defense to regress.

The only thing we know we know is he prefers big defensive linemen on the interior.

Asked about his Atlanta defense, “There are probably more good quarterbacks in the league than there has ever been,” Nolan said. “Outside of pass rush, the secondary is where the quarterback attacks you the most. It’s real important to have a good secondary.”

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We have seen how other teams have invested into the Nose tackle position with great success. So, what is the past of Noland defenses on Nose Tackles?
A true nose tackle only exists in a 3-4 defense. We have a 4-3 defensive scheme with DTs at the 1 and 3 tech positions. This is the same defensive scheme Nolan had in Atlanta. So expect Nolan to keep the 4-3 scheme. No true nose tackle.

pacboyX

Reaction score
The only place Mike Nolan has run a 4-3 was Atlanta. That defense picked 46 passes in three years. He finished 12th in DVOA his first year, but began to transition to a 3-4 which caused the defense to regress.

The only thing we know we know is he prefers big defensive linemen on the interior.

Asked about his Atlanta defense, “There are probably more good quarterbacks in the league than there has ever been,” Nolan said. “Outside of pass rush, the secondary is where the quarterback attacks you the most. It’s real important to have a good secondary.”

Wait a coach that actually values the safety position...my dreams have come true lol

sdfidaho

Reaction score
3-4 or 4-3, it doesn’t matter to me. Whatever Nolan wants, which will probably be a hybrid.
What I want for this interior DL are some huge/strong/nasty men that will own the line of scrimmage. Instead of the undersized “athletic” projects that can supposedly play multiple positions, but end up getting pushed around in the trenches by our opponents OL.

conner01

Reaction score
I think some get to wrapped up in size. I want Aaron Donald or JJ Watt type player, every team does
But neither of those guys are really huge
They’re great players
If you just want a fat guy who can’t impact the pass at all then you take away more than you gain
Just get good DT’s and the size will take care of itself

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
In fairness to the OP, Dallas has always had easily confused named players lol. We literally had a player named Jimmie Jones during the Jimmy Johnson/Jerry Jones hey day lol. Oh and Dallas played in Irving with a stud WR named Irvin:laugh:

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
From what I've read he likes the BIG Boys. 315 or better. Also Green bay has always under McCarthy had huge nose tackles. Also heard that might be the first pick coming in next years draft. Of which I wouldn't mind. I have always said start with your huge run stopper then Linebacker to safety. That would be my first 3 picks in the upcoming draft first then I'd probably take a tight end. And once again!! My safety may have to wait unless I can get one by free agency. Can't rebuild the whole defense in one year unfortunately:banghead: