What exactly does Garrett do?

waldoputty

Reaction score
This reminds me of employees who think the CEO doesn't "do" anything. Head coach oversees the entire staff and roster.

Granted, in Dallas the HC is neutered but that's a Jerry thing. JG's eventual replacement will do the same if he wants to keep his job.

u think jimmy the ceo would have allowed those timekeeping problems to persist?
or other problems like the absurd predictability

waldoputty

Reaction score
What did Jimmy do? What does Belichick do? I’m not saying Garrett is at their level - clearly he is miles from that - but lots of head coaches, including some highly successful ones - rely heavily on their coordinators and assistants. A head coach is much like a CEO - he indicates what he wants to see, but the underlines put the systems in place to make it happen.

yea, like the offense playcalling that even jerry cannot stand anymore and told moore to go to him if garrett gets in the way

Mannix

Reaction score
He brings in Billie Jean King to speak and provide inspiration to kids who are 50 years younger than her and wouldn't know how to hold a tennis racket. That is why he is so cutting edge....he is "fly"...you know, "dope" as the kids would say.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
offense
scheme design - moore given job to modernize offense to make it less predictable. jerry publicly said that moore needs to go to him if garrett tries to interfere with that
play calling - moore

defense
scheme - richard/marinelli
play calling - richard?

other areas
drafting - some input
clock management - often with disastrous results
press conferences - garrett
serving jones' upon demand - garrett
Garrett works his butt off. You need to more familiarize yourself with the day in the life of an NFL HC. You are only revealing your own ignorance by asking what he does. You don't have to like the man or want him to have the job he has but he does give 100% to this team.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
offense
scheme design - moore given job to modernize offense to make it less predictable. jerry publicly said that moore needs to go to him if garrett tries to interfere with that
play calling - moore

defense
play calling - richard?

other areas
drafting - some input
:facepalm:

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
He sets the vision for all aspects of the team and manages personalities. Ask the Steelers this year how difficult that is.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
I think most of the owners are meddling fools. Cleveland is a mess because of the ownership. The Raiders have long been a mess because of Al Davis. Even Kraft meddles with the team as has come to light with the Garoppolo trade and Brady's steroid doctor who is not actually a doctor being allowed around the team. Garrett does a good job of managing the mess. Look at what happened it Pittsburgh and Jacksonville this year. Even when Romo was hurt and the wheels fell off the bus things never got as bad as they did in Pittsburgh this year.

Please note. This is not an endorsement of Garrett. I am simply saying he does a pretty good job handling the main aspect of his position. It can be debated if this is enough or if someone else could do this and the other aspects of the job better. I am only saying Garrett does a good job of holding the team together which is actually a pretty important job.

Jipper

Reaction score
Another bash Garrett thread huh...i guess welcome to the off-season right.

You guys do realize no matter how much you hate him, he's not going anywhere until Jerry decides

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Another bash Garrett thread huh...i guess welcome to the off-season right.

You guys do realize no matter how much you hate him, he's not going anywhere until Jerry decides
And why this is all on Jerry. Somewhere along the line everyone tired of bashing on the core culprit.

Aven8

Reaction score
The best thing he does IMO is give all these young players a routine. They know what to expect each and every day.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm ready for a change from Garrett; however, Garrett is good at the things that made Wade Phillips a terrible Head Coach.

The players have always given great effort under Garrett. They quit on Wade.

Garrett eliminated the overwhelming sense of entitlement among the players that was prevalent under Wade.

Wade was a disaster in many press conferences. Garrett is boring but does not look like a deer in the headlights when difficult questions arrise.

The players generally treat Garrett like the Head Coach and many start to sound like him. Wade constantly referenced Jerry anytime he was questioned by the media and players referred to Jerry more than to the Head Coach when questioned about the team's direction, etc..

Dave Campo was similar to Wade; although he referred to Jerry as Mr. Jones instead of Jerry.

Chan Gailey's claim to fame as the Cowboys HC was convincing Jerry NOT to draft Randy Moss.

Stop it. Garrett is NOT a good HC by any stretch of YOUR imagination. Every other coach was better than Garrett you mentioned. They all knew football better than the hapless Garrett.

Garrett is the Chaz Green of coaches. You remember Chaz Green dont you?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
He sets up the team for the games. Once that arrives, the DC and OC take over. That's what 90% of head coaches do.

Problem is he doesn't do it very well...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Stop it. Garrett is NOT a good HC by any stretch of YOUR imagination. Every other coach was better than Garrett you mentioned. They all knew football better than the hapless Garrett.

Garrett is the Chaz Green of coaches. You remember Chaz Green dont you?

Campo went 5-11 three years in a row. Whether or not a coach has the players is immaterial, the head coach's job is to win. That's how they are ultimately judged. Garrett has won playoff games and division titles. Campo did not.

Now Campo was a good defensive coach, Phillips also. But to say they are better head coaches than Garrett, based on what head coaches are judged for, is inaccurate...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Campo went 5-11 three years in a row. Whether or not a coach has the players is immaterial, the head coach's job is to win. That's how they are ultimately judged. Garrett has won playoff games and division titles. Campo did not.

Now Campo was a good defensive coach, Phillips also. But to say they are better head coaches than Garrett, based on what head coaches are judged for, is inaccurate...
Yep

So regardless of Garrett’s weaknesses and inexperience in HC he’s had more success than previous coaches with more experience and better history of coaching like Parcells, Phillips, Gailey and Campo.

Which is Garretts greatest asset is his influence with Jethro and Son building a better culture despite his lack of coaching ability.

I seriously doubt we will find a better puppet.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
offense
play calling - moore

defense
play calling - richard?

other areas
drafting - some input
what does Pete Carrol Do? he claps ad chews gum at the same time
What does Matt Nagy do?
What does Pederson do? when Reich left, the offense seemed to struggle and Schwartz calls the defense.
What does Ron Rivera do?
what does John Harbaugh do?

you can say the same thing about most of the coaches in the NFL. most have OC and DCs that manage each side of the ball.

I can understand the hate for Garrett, which most should be directed at Jerry Jones, who is the decision maker in all of this and the "big Meddler". and if Moore goes to Jerry then that speaks volumes about the screwed up organization we have in Dallas, than focusing on Garrett

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

So a coach should make the playoffs and win playoff games with no talent? Whatever you say buddy. Garrett is horrid. His own owners actions bare that out.

Both Campo and Phillips were football minds that understood the game of football. Garrett has no clue about football.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
So a coach should make the playoffs and win playoff games with no talent? Whatever you say buddy. Garrett is horrid. His own owners actions bare that out.

Both Campo and Phillips were football minds that understood the game of football. Garrett has no clue about football.

1. When Romo went out what did people say about Garrett? "Great coaches win despite losing top players" So yes he's supposed to win WITH THE TALENT HE HAS. And talent is spread pretty evenly throughout the NFL, even with limited talent, 5-11 for 3 years in a row is pretty bad. I didn't say I just winning games and division titles and playoff games is what I judge Garrett by, it's what coaches are judged by by most.

2. And Garrett is "horrid"? Then what was Rich Kotite, 40-56 over 6 years? How about Hue Jackson, 11-44. Gus Bradley, 14-48. Romeo Crennel, 28-55. THOSE guys are "horrid".
Garrett is mediocre, no question, but if he's "horrid", I guess you'd rather have Campo and go 5-11 year after year? I'd rather have a Belichick or a Landry or a Tomlin, even. But compared to some, he's not.

Garrett played in the NFL for a few years and has now 9 years as head coach, nobody in the league that long "has no clue" That's ridiculous, has any NFL ex-player said that about Garrett? Even with giving respect to somebody who played the game, if that was the case surely a few would have said that publicly.

Look I want Garrett gone, too. And I'm not a Garrett fan, and don't think of him as anything but average at best as an NFL head coach, probably below average.

But hyperbole is not needed to express your opinion...