What exactly does Garrett do?

waldoputty

Reaction score
The thing it seems is lost on people is that failure doesn’t mean a guy isn’t doing the job, it just means he isn’t doing it well enough to get the job done.

u mean the failure to even try to fix something, like the time management for 2 playoff games separated by 2 years in time?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think it is just the opposite. He gets a lot of credit for the turn-a-round, with some saying he should have gotten COY. But he was responsible for the bad start too. I'm not a Garrett fan and want him gone. As long as the talent outplays the coaching he will be here.

Of course his critic will not give him credit no matter what. Your heals are dug in and Dallas could win a Super Bowl and will not change anything. I have said in the past I would have fired him after 2015 season. Coming off a very good 2014 and then falling as they did the following year. 2016 he did win COY and deserved it with the star QB out and a rookie playing QB to do as well as they did was not expected especially around here. I have also said if he was fired today I would not shed a tear but I will always be balanced in giving credit and blame not trying to have my cake and eat it to as many around here do. they are quick to blame him when things go wrong and refuse to credit him when things are going good. I don't play that game.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
u mean the failure to even try to fix something, like the time management for 2 playoff games separated by 2 years in time?

lol - so what was he actively going to do in a 2 year span to try and "fix" that? It's not working on pass routes, or blocking techniques or something you hold practices to improve.

waldoputty

Reaction score
lol - so what was he actively going to do in a 2 year span to try and "fix" that? It's not working on pass routes, or blocking techniques or something you hold practices to improve.

that was a clear example where garrett the cancer cannot hide and blame others

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
that was a clear example where garrett the cancer cannot hide and blame others

What does that have to do with what I said? This is just tossing out some meaningless venom that doesn't respond to what I said in either of my posts that you responded to.

I am curious, however, as to why some feel the need to feel some sort of animosity toward Garrett. He hasn't been a high quality coach, and clearly he has not accomplished what he was hired to accomplish, but there really doesn't seem to be a reason to doubt that he is a good guy that works hard. It seems some people feel the need to need to hold some kind of ill feelings toward him personally to justify wanting him replaced, when all they really need to point to as justification is failure to get the job done.

Last edited:

waldoputty

Reaction score
What does that have to do with what I said? This is just tossing out some meaningless venom that doesn't respond to what I said in either of my posts that you responded to.

I am curious, however, as to why some feel the need to feel some sort of animosity toward Garrett. He hasn't been a high quality coach, and clearly he has not accomplished what he was hired to accomplish, but there really doesn't seem to be a reason to doubt that he is a good guy that works hard. It seems some people feel the need to need to hold some kind of ill feelings toward him personally to justify wanting him replaced, when all they really need to point to as justification is failure to get the job done.

how much do i need to spell it out. garrett had 2 years and he did not even fixed the timekeeping problem. that should be simple to do - hire someone to do it.

garrett clinging to his job means the team is mediocre. does not suck but does not win when it matters. that is the worst possible outcome. team is predictable week in and week out. he is either too stubborn to consider other options or too lazy to consider other options. he gets rid of better coaches from his staff so there is no immediate threat to his job as he knows the fo is risk averse. that is why he is a cancer.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
how much do i need to spell it out. garrett had 2 years and he did not even fixed the timekeeping problem. that should be simple to do - hire someone to do it.

garrett clinging to his job means the team is mediocre. does not suck but does not win when it matters. that is the worst possible outcome. he is either too stubborn to consider other options or too lazy to consider other options. he gets rid of better coaches from his staff so there is no immediate threat to his job as he knows the fo is risk averse.

Again, "fixing" the timekeeping problem is not teaching blocking techniques or route running. It's not a thing you hold practices to work on. You can't spend countless days and weeks simulating every possible time management scenario that could ever exist and ignore working on everything else a team has to do to prepare to play. So, again, what could he have actively been doing for 2 years to correct that?

Again, you really haven't responded to my comments. You haven't proven he isn't working at and putting effort into his job. All we know is he isn't doing the job as well as someone else might.

And it doesn't make sense to say he is getting rid of better coaches so they don't threaten his job. If the team is winning, other coaches are not a threat to him, and if the team is losing, other coaches are part of the losing, and therefore still are not a threat to him. The best way to job security is to be a winning coach, and it's ludicrous to suggest Garrett doesn't know this and that he would intentionally undermine his chances to be a winning coach.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Again, "fixing" the timekeeping problem is not teaching blocking techniques or route running. It's not a thing you hold practices to work on. You can't spend countless days and weeks simulating every possible time management scenario that could ever exist and ignore working on everything else a team has to do to prepare to play. So, again, what could he have actively been doing for 2 years to correct that?

Again, you really haven't responded to my comments. You haven't proven he isn't working at and putting effort into his job. All we know is he isn't doing the job as well as someone else might.

And it doesn't make sense to say he is getting rid of better coaches so they don't threaten his job. If the team is winning, other coaches are not a threat to him, and if the team is losing, other coaches are part of the losing, and therefore still are not a threat to him. The best way to job security is to be a winning coach, and it's ludicrous to suggest Garrett doesn't know this and that he would intentionally undermine his chances to be a winning coach.

no one is saying garrett does not want to win.

though more and more of the responsibilities have been removed from him because of the results.
to the point jerry publicly says moore is supposed to go to jerry if moore is interfered with.
it is to the point that garrett does not have much to say about the offense or the defense.

how did we get there?
the timekeeping issue persists. the predictability issue persists. the lack of adjustments persists.
either garrett is incompetent/stubborn and/or he is lazy.
it is one or the other.
it does not matter whether he is incompetent or he is lazy.

payton is gone. callahan is gone.
those were threats to his job.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
no one is saying garrett does not want to win.

though more and more of the responsibilities have been removed from him because of the results.
to the point jerry publicly says moore is supposed to go to jerry if moore is interfered with.
it is to the point that garrett does not have much to say about the offense or the defense.

how did we get there?
the timekeeping issue persists. the predictability issue persists. the lack of adjustments persists.
either garrett is incompetent/stubborn and/or he is lazy.
it is one or the other.
it does not matter whether he is incompetent or he is lazy.

payton is gone. callahan is gone.
those were threats to his job.

If you will go back and read my posts, I did not say Garrett was doing a good job, and in fact said that he was not getting the job done. I merely said he was doing the job and putting in the effort, and that failing to have success does not mean he isn't doing those things. A lot of head coaches don't directly run the defense or offense, so that really isn't an argument to say he isn't doing what a head coach does.

Your comments about him possibly being lazy are completely without merit. Nobody that I have ever seen has questioned his work ethic. Again, all we have established is that he hasn't been able to get the job done that he was hired to do. There needs to be no ill will or vitriol to justify wanting him replaced. He just has fallen short like many other coaches have done over the years with both the Cowboys and other teams. Not everyone is successful, no matter how hard they work or how much they mean well.

waldoputty

Reaction score
If you will go back and read my posts, I did not say Garrett was doing a good job, and in fact said that he was not getting the job done. I merely said he was doing the job and putting in the effort, and that failing to have success does not mean he isn't doing those things. A lot of head coaches don't directly run the defense or offense, so that really isn't an argument to say he isn't doing what a head coach does.

Your comments about him possibly being lazy are completely without merit. Nobody that I have ever seen has questioned his work ethic. Again, all we have established is that he hasn't been able to get the job done that he was hired to do. There needs to be no ill will or vitriol to justify wanting him replaced. He just has fallen short like many other coaches have done over the years with both the Cowboys and other teams. Not everyone is successful, no matter how hard they work or how much they mean well.

there are different reasons for failure.
that includes incompetence, stubbornness and simply lazy.
that is why the focus on the timekeeping problem.
that could easily be fixed by hiring someone dedicated to it who is good at it.
yet nothing was done between 2014 and 2016.
but it really does not matter what the reason is.
i simply pointed out that garrett has essentially nothing to do - other than being a figure head of a hc.
and his failure, whatever it is, with his strength (staying in place) form a cancer that needs to be eliminated.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
there are different reasons for failure.
that includes incompetence, stubbornness and simply lazy.
that is why the focus on the timekeeping problem.
that could easily be fixed by hiring someone dedicated to it who is good at it.
yet nothing was done between 2014 and 2016.
but it really does not matter what the reason is.
i simply pointed out that garrett has essentially nothing to do - other than being a figure head of a hc.
and his failure, whatever it is, with his strength (staying in place) form a cancer that needs to be eliminated.

Hell, you can come up with all sorts of reasons a person fails, but that doesn't mean they apply to a particular person. In other words, you dreaming it up doesn't make it true. If you are going to be reasonable you stick with things we know - like he hasn't accomplished what he was hired to - and get rid of all the nonsense like laziness, and intentionally undermining the team by hiring people he doesn't feel are good coaches. That's just manufacturing ill will when there is no reason to.

You keep harping on the timekeeping, but name a team that hires someone just to be the timekeeping coach. That's not realistic, and the reality is Garrett probably doesn't think he has a problem with it. Hell, you yourself had to talk about incidents 2 years apart, so it's not as if it was a week to week issue.

As for the idea Garrett has nothing to do, we will have to agree to disagree. It's nonsense to suggest he his twiddling his thumbs and playing solitaire on his phone. The "cancer" idea is nonsense too. That's just baseless vitriol, and again, just a misplaced need to feel ill will. Players like him, and by all accounts play hard for him. It's not either "Super Bowl" or "cancer", and it's also not reasonable to think that sitting at your computer you know what he does every day.

Dre11

Reaction score
LOL...……..you are way behind the times buddy. Hilarious actually that you call me ignorant when you obviously haven't read anything in 2 or 3 weeks. Garrett got kicked to the curb again. LOL

“We anticipate that he will call plays,” Garrett said from Super Bowl LIII when asked specifically about Moore, who has been promoted from quarterback coach to replace the fired Scott Linehan. “We want to look at different ways of doing things.”

The latter has been mandated by owner Jerry Jones, who said he has told all the coaches he wants fresh ideas and if it’s not being implemented to call him.

\

Lol....i read that, heard that to, who said he was kicked to the curb? Did Jerry say it? Or are you going on Rumorville...lol ? How do you know Garrett actually wanted to call plays? again ,are you going on speculation, assumption? Ignorance at its finest. Jerry said something about all the assistants kicking and screaming to have their ideas heard, hpw do you know yhat isn't what they all want.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Hell, you can come up with all sorts of reasons a person fails, but that doesn't mean they apply to a particular person. In other words, you dreaming it up doesn't make it true. If you are going to be reasonable you stick with things we know - like he hasn't accomplished what he was hired to - and get rid of all the nonsense like laziness, and intentionally undermining the team by hiring people he doesn't feel are good coaches. That's just manufacturing ill will when there is no reason to.

You keep harping on the timekeeping, but name a team that hires someone just to be the timekeeping coach. That's not realistic, and the reality is Garrett probably doesn't think he has a problem with it. Hell, you yourself had to talk about incidents 2 years apart, so it's not as if it was a week to week issue.

As for the idea Garrett has nothing to do, we will have to agree to disagree. It's nonsense to suggest he his twiddling his thumbs and playing solitaire on his phone. The "cancer" idea is nonsense too. That's just baseless vitriol, and again, just a misplaced need to feel ill will. Players like him, and by all accounts play hard for him. It's not either "Super Bowl" or "cancer", and it's also not reasonable to think that sitting at your computer you know what he does every day.

lack of ability, hardwork and refusal to be flexible are the most common.
what we do know is that the potential replacements are gone leaving us with linehans of the world. there are plenty of rumors that garrett got rid of the qualified candidates.

the timekeeping problems named are the most obvious examples of failure that no one can argue. it may not be a week-to-week issue but more important when the games are important.
if garrett does not think there is a problem, then you have your problem - garrett who does not care enough to the details.

an incompetent who is only competent in staying on the job needs lots of ill will, as he is responsible for the failure in the franchise.
regarding what garrett is doing to keep himself busy. who knows. but we do know that key responsibilities are being removed from his control.
superbowl is the only thing that matters so it is superbowl or cancer especially if he stays for 9 years.

Dre11

Reaction score
lack of ability, hardwork and refusal to be flexible are the most common.
what we do know is that the potential replacements are gone leaving us with linehans of the world. there are plenty of rumors that garrett got rid of the qualified candidates.

the timekeeping problems named are the most obvious examples of failure that no one can argue. it may not be a week-to-week issue but more important when the games are important.
if garrett does not think there is a problem, then you have your problem - garrett who does not care enough to the details.

an incompetent who is only competent in staying on the job needs lots of ill will, as he is responsible for the failure in the franchise.
regarding what garrett is doing to keep himself busy. who knows. but we do know that key responsibilities are being removed from his control.
superbowl is the only thing that matters so it is superbowl or cancer especially if he stays for 9 years.

What key responsibility has been removed...lol he's still the HC, he still runs practices, he still has his hand in picking players, he manages the overall operation that's what 90 of the coaches in the league does. You people are tired...lol