What free agent WR can we get next year?

khiladi

Reaction score
Roy Williams plays for a team that has a crappy offensive line and a QB that holds on to the ball way too long, and yet his numbers, are pretty damn impressive. He runs precision routes, he is big, and has good hands. He is from Texas, and grew up a Cowboys fan.

The problem is, he becomes a free agent next year. You would have to trade to get him, and then re-do his contract, or hope he plays the year out and re-signs. Detroit is stacked at receiver anyways, so I don't think getting Roy would be that big of an issue if he was unhappy. The problem is, what would you have to give up?

But if McFadden is 90 percent what Peterson is, I'd definitely give up two first rounds for him.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
khiladi;1817033 said:
Roy Williams plays for a team that has a crappy offensive line and a QB that holds on to the ball way too long, and yet his numbers, are pretty damn impressive. He runs precision routes, he is big, and has good hands. He is from Texas, and grew up a Cowboys fan.

The problem is, he becomes a free agent next year. You would have to trade to get him, and then re-do his contract, or hope he plays the year out and re-signs. Detroit is stacked at receiver anyways, so I don't think getting Roy would be that big of an issue if he was unhappy. The problem is, what would you have to give up?

Ok I like Roy too and he'd be a great addition, but let's not talk out our arse and make stuff up just to talk him up.

Roy does NOT run precise routes. As was stated earlier in this thread (or was it another thread) Troy Aikman - someone that knows a thing or two about WR's route running - said Roy is one of the worst route runners in the NFL.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rack;1817039 said:
Ok I like Roy too and he'd be a great addition, but let's not talk out our arse and make stuff up just to talk him up.

Roy does NOT run precise routes. As was stated earlier in this thread (or was it another thread) Troy Aikman - someone that knows a thing or two about WR's route running - said Roy is one of the worst route runners in the NFL.

That statement was made in the 04 or 05 season, I believe. I will tell you that since that time, he has improved on his route running, no question. I would not call it amazing but he is certainly a much better WR then he was then. The numbers would bare that out IMO.

khiladi

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1817044 said:
That statement was made in the 04 or 05 season, I believe. I will tell you that since that time, he has improved on his route running, no question. I would not call it amazing but he is certainly a much better WR then he was then. The numbers would bare that out IMO.

Some good stuff on Roy Williams..

http://blog.mlive.com/lionsinsider/2007/07/scouting_report_roy_williams.html

Here is a comment on his route-running. Rack was right in terms of route-running, and you were correct in that he is improving his route-running, which seems to be a negative anyways regarding most receivers coming out of college into the NFL. It takes them time to improve on this aspect of the game.

Coordinator Mike Martz believes that if Williams continues to improve his route-running (he was far from perfect last year) and understands the concepts of beating double-coverage that Williams could become the best receiver in the game. There really isn't any reason why he couldn't shoot for that mantle because he has the size to go over the middle, the hands to make the acrobatic catches and the speed to take every pass to the end zone.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1817044 said:

Improved and Precise are two different animals.

He is NOT a good route runner.

Absolutely amazing talent, but a great route runner he is not.

But that, to me, isn't necessarily a bad thing. It means he's pretty "up there" in other areas if he's putting up good numbers despite poor route running.

And the numbers mean he's in a more pass happy offense, not necessarily cuz his route running is good, great, or improved... or whatever.

Hell, Randy Moss is one of the worst route runners around, but he's had a pretty good career. Moss only runs two routes "Good". The Stop and the GO, and they compliment eachother. But ins, outs, drags, posts, corners.... he's pretty poor at those routes.

22Cowboys21;1817051 said:
I'd go after Fitzgerald.

So would I.

It's real simple for me. I like the WRs we have on the roster, even for the future. But if we're to go after a WR I'd want it to be someone who is already a "Star" then to spend a first on a guy that may not even be better then the guys at the bottom of our roster.

That goes for almost any position. I like our OLBs too, but if we traded a 2nd or late 1st for a guy like Harrison (from Pittsburgh) I'd be happy with that.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
What about Bryant Johnson ? I have to say that I don't watch the Cardinals at all , but I remember him coming out of Penn State as a big blazing fast receiver . He's only 26 and plays on a team where he doesn't stand a chance of starting .

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rack;1817077 said:
Improved and Precise are two different animals.

He is NOT a good route runner.

Absolutely amazing talent, but a great route runner he is not.

But that, to me, isn't necessarily a bad thing. It means he's pretty "up there" in other areas if he's putting up good numbers despite poor route running.

And the numbers mean he's in a more pass happy offense, not necessarily cuz his route running is good, great, or improved... or whatever.

Hell, Randy Moss is one of the worst route runners around, but he's had a pretty good career. Moss only runs two routes "Good". The Stop and the GO, and they compliment eachother. But ins, outs, drags, posts, corners.... he's pretty poor at those routes.

So would I.

It's real simple for me. I like the WRs we have on the roster, even for the future. But if we're to go after a WR I'd want it to be someone who is already a "Star" then to spend a first on a guy that may not even be better then the guys at the bottom of our roster.

That goes for almost any position. I like our OLBs too, but if we traded a 2nd or late 1st for a guy like Harrison (from Pittsburgh) I'd be happy with that.

I like our WRs but I don't feel as if we have a number 1 on the roster if, when TO falls off. I share the belief that Glenn is not likely to be around in 08. He could be but I would not bet on it.

Williams wants to be a better WR. He works on it diligently. This is a case in which I could see a guy like TO making a positive contiribution to the development of a guy like RW if he were a Cowboy. There is a great deal that RW could learn from TO IMO.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
JIMMYBUFFETT;1817092 said:
What about Bryant Johnson ? I have to say that I don't watch the Cardinals at all , but I remember him coming out of Penn State as a big blazing fast receiver . He's only 26 and plays on a team where he doesn't stand a chance of starting .

I don't think the Cardinals will part with him. If they lose Fitzgerald, they will need him. I do like the guy. However, to me, he is a number 2 type WR. JMO

Kangaroo

Reaction score
JIMMYBUFFETT;1764354 said:
Owens , Glenn , Crayton , Hurd , and draft pick . I just don't see the need . Don't sweep Stanback under the rug just yet either . A kid coming off an injury and making a position change . Rome wasn't buit in a day .

Glenn is going to be done after this year he need micro fracture surgery on his knee he has had knee issues the last few years.

I am not counting glen as a wr on the roster next year

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1817108 said:
I like our WRs but I don't feel as if we have a number 1 on the roster if, when TO falls off. I share the belief that Glenn is not likely to be around in 08. He could be but I would not bet on it.

Williams wants to be a better WR. He works on it diligently. This is a case in which I could see a guy like TO making a positive contiribution to the development of a guy like RW if he were a Cowboy. There is a great deal that RW could learn from TO IMO.

Like I said, I wouldn't mind at all if we traded for Roy. And I do think we have a potential #1 WR on the roster (Austin).

I just don't want us to draft a WR in the first.

ABQCOWBOY;1817110 said:
I don't think the Cardinals will part with him. If they lose Fitzgerald, they will need him. I do like the guy. However, to me, he is a number 2 type WR. JMO

OMG.

You're a UT homer then? Nothing wrong with that, but to say Fitz is a #2 WR is crazy. Fitz is a helluva lot more of a #1 then Roy. And I really like Roy.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1817110 said:

I don't know , he's a free agent and Arizona may be thinking the complete opposite . They may be thinking that if they pay Johnson this year , they won't be able to pay Fitzgerald next year . In Johnson's mind he has to be wondering if he'll ever be more than a 3rd receiver if he stays with the Cardinals organization . I would think they will have a very tough time keeping him on their roster in 2008 .

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
khiladi;1817033 said:

But if McFadden is 90 percent what Peterson is, I'd definitely give up two first rounds for him.

It will take more than two low first round picks to move up that far and that's not worth it.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Rack;1817172 said:
OMG.

You're a UT homer then? Nothing wrong with that, but to say Fitz is a #2 WR is crazy. Fitz is a helluva lot more of a #1 then Roy. And I really like Roy.
He was talking about Bryant Johnson.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rack;1817172 said:
Like I said, I wouldn't mind at all if we traded for Roy. And I do think we have a potential #1 WR on the roster (Austin).

I just don't want us to draft a WR in the first.

OMG.

If I didn't know better, I'd think you might be an Aggie.

;)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
JIMMYBUFFETT;1817173 said:
I don't know , he's a free agent and Arizona may be thinking the complete opposite . They may be thinking that if they pay Johnson this year , they won't be able to pay Fitzgerald next year . In Johnson's mind he has to be wondering if he'll ever be more than a 3rd receiver if he stays with the Cardinals organization . I would think they will have a very tough time keeping him on their roster in 2008 .

It could definatly be a possability. However, all reports that I have heard thus far are that the Cards believe Fitz would be too expensive to retain. Since Johnson is a good option with less price tag, he is who will be retained. I don't know. Hos would probably be the guy who could speak on this with a bit better perspective. He's right there and so, probably hears the local talk.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
Sign Byrant Johnson, draft a WR in 1st or 2nd round, call it a day.....

2008 draft

round 1

CB-Cason
WR- Manningham

round 2

RB- Slaton, Rice, Hart or even the Nation's leading rusher from UCF

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1817199 said:
It could definatly be a possability. However, all reports that I have heard thus far are that the Cards believe Fitz would be too expensive to retain. Since Johnson is a good option with less price tag, he is who will be retained. I don't know. Hos would probably be the guy who could speak on this with a bit better perspective. He's right there and so, probably hears the local talk.

Hos ? Why I don't trust him any further than I could pick him up and throw him ! :D It's a little early to be talking about any of this stuff , and I'm pretty happy with the roster as it is . Still...like the night before Christmas , I've got visions of Williams , Fitzgerald , and McFadden dancing through my head .

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
What about Bernard Berrian? He's a solid deep threat and is having a nice season as CHI's #1 WR.