What happened to Cole Beasley

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really like Beasley and I think the Cowboys are better with him on the team, but I prefer the Beasley from previous years who seemed to be focused on making plays and wanting to win no matter who makes the play. I want the guy who defied the odds at his size to not only play in the NFL, but make game winning plays. I want the guy who was easy to root for and was a great role model for younger football players who may not check all of the boxes on the physical requirements of being an NFL wide receiver.

My concern has less to do with his ability and more to do with his attitude which is something I pointed out throughout the season.

He was in a contract season and was likely expecting (unrealistically) to be the top guy given the receivers we had when we started the season. When that did not work out, he seemed to mope and pout on the field. When teammates would score, he would not run over to congratulate them or even celebrate the score on his own. He would simply turn and walk back to the sidelines while everyone else was celebrating.

He likely knows that at his size, the moment he loses his quickness, whether to injury or age, his career is over at least new contract wise, so he was likely hoping to cash in on one big contract just in case that happens in the next 3-4 years. Because of how the season played out, his perceived value likely declined especially after the end zone drop on a simple pass earlier this season that everyone, including other teams, saw happen.

In any case, as a free agent, odds are good some other team is going to think to themselves, "He's a great slot receiver and in OUR system, he can make more plays for us than he did in Dallas" so they will sign him to a really nice 3-4 year contract. Dallas on the other hand primarily views him as a slot receiver and will value him as such.

My favorite memory of Beasley was on a play where he did not make a catch but rather celebrated the team's comeback win. In the first game of the 2015 season, the Giants took the lead late and with around 90 seconds remaining in the game, the Cowboys drove down the field. With 10 or so seconds remaining, Romo connected with Witten for the game winning touchdown. What caught my eye more so than teammates running to Witten to celebrate was Cole Beasley's reaction in the end zone. He held up his hands to signal touchdown and punched the air. That's the guy I want on the Cowboys.

Last edited:

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I really like Beasley and I think the Cowboys are better with him on the team, but I prefer the Beasley from previous years who seemed to be focused on making plays and wanting to win no matter who makes the play. I want the guy who defied the odds at his size to not only play in the NFL, but make game winning plays. I want the guy who was easy to root for and was a great role model for younger football players who may not check all of the boxes on the physical requirements of being an NFL wide receiver.

As a free agent, odds are good some other team is going to think to themselves, "He's a great slot receiver and in OUR system, he can make more plays for us than he did in Dallas" so they will sign him to a really nice 3-4 year contract. Dallas on the other hand primarily views him as a slot receiver and will value him as such.

My concern has less to do with his ability and more to do with his attitude which is something I pointed out throughout the season.

He was in a contract season and was likely expecting (unrealistically) to be the top guy given the receivers we had when we started the season. When that did not work out, he seemed to mope and pout on the field. When teammates would score, he would not run over to congratulate them or even celebrate the score on his own. He would simply turn and walk back to the sidelines while everyone else was celebrating.

He likely knows that at his size, the moment he loses his quickness, whether to injury or age, his career is over at least new contract wise, so he was likely hoping to cash in on one big contract just in case that happens in the next 3-4 years. Because of how the season played out, his perceived value likely declined especially after the end zone drop on a simple pass earlier this season that everyone, including other teams, saw happen.

My favorite memory of Beasley was on a play where he did not make a catch but rather celebrated the team's comeback win. In the first game of the 2015 season, the Giants took the lead late and with around 90 seconds remaining in the game, the Cowboys drove down the field. With 10 or so seconds remaining, Romo connected with Witten for the game winning touchdown. What caught my eye more so than teammates running to Witten to celebrate was Cole Beasley's reaction in the end zone. He held up his hands to signal touchdown and punched the air. That's the guy I want on the Cowboys.
As they say in the business of show business....

He smelled that green and the abundance of it caused him to start smelling himself.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Beasley has never been as good as he apparently thinks he is. In his 7 years as a Cowboys slot receiver, in 103 games, Cole Beasley has caught 319 passes for 3,271 yards and 23 TDs. That means for his career, Beas averaged 3 catches for 31 yards per game, and averaged 3.2 TDs per season.

Some would argue that his first 2 years in the league he wasn’t a full time player. So let’s take the last 5 seasons then. His 5 year average in 79 games has been 55 receptions for 555 yards. That translates to 3.3 receptions per game for 35 yards in his best 5 years.

This guy is a good, solid but not spectacular slot receiver. IMO, he needs to test his market and let that do his talking. Or maybe make another bad hip hop record.

tm1119

Reaction score
He’s a WR in the nfl...he wants the ball and will be a diva if he doesn’t get it. Put him in a long line of WR’s that fit the same bill.

Certainly arguable he doesn’t “deserve” the right to be a diva given his production...but that’s life. He’ll almost certainly be on another team next year so won’t be a problem

CowboysRule

Reaction score
He wants out of Dallas. We have been running an offense focused mainly on running the ball and controlling the clock. We aren't pass heavy and there aren't a whole lot of passes to go around. I also think he took offense to the way the media was treating the WR corp early on this season (to be fair, it really wasn't entirely their fault, some of that was/is on Dak). He'll go somewhere and probably be a productive WR. Nothing spectacular but you do need guys like that on your team.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
IMO, he probably looked at himself as WR1 once Dez was released. Unfortunately, he's not a WR1. He's a complimentary, slot receiver who thought more of himself that his talent allows. Money definitely got to his head somehow.

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
Isn't this the same guy that walked out of his first training camp, and the team (Garrett?) had to convince him that he could play and had a shot if he would just return to camp?

Were it not for this team, he wouldn't even be in the NFL, right?

SoupcanSam

Reaction score

In any case, as a free agent, odds are good some other team is going to think to themselves, "He's a great slot receiver and in OUR system, he can make more plays for us than he did in Dallas" so they will sign him to a really nice 3-4 year contract. Dallas on the other hand primarily views him as a slot receiver and will value him as such.

Cole got sick and tired of the BS FO.

That's what happened.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Well stated... Completely agree.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Agree with all of it, I can't get him off the team fast enough. I've got no problem with his game play and he's certainly contributed to this team. All that said I've never seen such negative body language from a professional. He played disinterested and looked like Eeyore out there. I think at this point he's setting a very negative example to a young football team and I'd take his keys to the front gate today. All you need to do is look at Allen Hurns to see how a professional who didn't have the season he wanted handles himself.

Zordon

Reaction score
Despite his bravado on social media, I think Beas is a guy who needs Dallas as much as we need him. Remember, he's never left the metroplex (Little Elm -> SMU -> DC), is he going to want to leave now at this stage of his life with a family and rap career in Dallas? I don't think he's built like that which is why I think he's walking back some of his statements.

blumayne38

Reaction score

The fact he made Dak better when on the field before amari got here got to his head...I think daks inabilities to hit other WRs made Beasley feel as if he was more deserving for other/more touches

John813

Reaction score
IMO he knew it was a contract year and probably wanted a repeat of the 16 season so he could ask and probably get good slot money.
Season started off rough for everyone, record included, and he saw money leaving his future wallet. Add in being upset over Dez leaving, I don't think he was a happy camper since the offseason.

He's a great one trick pony, but I think it's best to move on for both sides.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see where he ends up and how he does.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
He’s suffering from the same syndrome any pass catcher not named Jason Witten has had while here.

If he really believes what he said about the front office dictating where the ball goes, whether it’s true or not, then it’s obvious why he’s upset.

Anyone bringing up his wanting to get paid is silly. The man has a family to take care of, and I assume, the desire to make some sort of legacy.

You think his dream is to make middling money while catching 2 balls a game for the above average Cowboys his entire career?

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
He involved himself in rap and his own hype too much. He was also made by Romo.