jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stubbornness of the staff.

kid can make plays and is finally healthy

THIS ^^
Just more stupid stuff this staff does.

He does have another year left on his contract though.
If Meyers comes in as the coach, except him to have a big role next season, and ball out.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
I haven't heard anything, but I really think they are keeping Smith under wraps until 2020 comes around and Cobb/Austin are gone. He did play some slot at Ohio State.
your point would make sense only if our coaches had the ability to think in the future which they don't because they have no idea of today..

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
I’m guessing that they brought up V. Bryant to be a gunner. Tavon Austin is the punt returner, a useless one, but still. Additionally, Austin can play all 3 wr spots, not well, but he did in the Jets game when Cobb didn’t play and Coop got hurt early.

does seem very strange that Ced Wilson dressed instead of him, but Wilson also played in the kicking game.

to go from Gallup’s replacement in Miami and NOLA, albeit he wasn’t strong in either game, to inactive for this many weeks does seem odd. But then again with this FO and coaching staff nothing should surprise.

jsb357

Reaction score
if a player does not buy into the process he is set aside for more deserving players

Mr_437

Reaction score
Tavon is also the punt returner. That's part of what keeps him active. And even so, Tavon only has 5 more receptions than Devon Smith over the season despite being active every game, so he really isn't getting much of a workload as a receiver.
DAL should do like the Patriots and don't even put a PR man back there if Tavon is gonna continue to be the guy. Second, I'm only interested in #10's targets...and in any event Smith would do more with those targets.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DAL should do like the Patriots and don't even put a PR man back there if Tavon is gonna continue to be the guy. Second, I'm only interested in #10's targets...and in any event Smith would do more with those targets.
It's only a handful more targets, so that doesn't really bother me. As for punt returns, New England actually does put a PR man back there - they have more punt returns this year than the Cowboys do. But I wouldn't be opposed to having the return man just fair catch. It seems like almost any actual attempt to return a punt in the NFL these days results in a lost yardage because of a penalty for a block in the back or hold.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I've been curious about Smith too, but lets be fair - Cooper, Gallup and Cobb are the better players. They get far and away the bulk of the targets, and anyone else getting a target at WR is a rarity. Smith likely has been left out because the team feels it gets more special teams use out of Austin and Ventell Bryant.

I think you guys are missing the real issue.

It's also based on payroll.

How much are they being paid.

I wish it was based on performance but not.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you guys are missing the real issue.

It's also based on payroll.

How much are they being paid.

I wish it was based on performance but not.
Do we really believe the reason Cooper, Gallup and Cobb are dominating the targets is about money and not ability?

Even so, as a 3rd round pick Gallup isn't making more than Austin, and he isn't making more than Cobb, yet, he is just 8 targets behind Cooper for the team lead, and Cobb is 24 targets behind Gallup, and Austin is 73 targets behind Gallup.

Number1

Reaction score
It’s almost impossible to know since we haven’t seen him. But I don’t trust the coaching staff to actually play the better players. They are known for starting guys “they trust” over ones who can help the team. Just like with Witten.

hate to say it but I think they play the highest paid player - healthy or not
ever since JJ bought the team

the best man should play Dallas - until that changes it don't matter who calls the plays

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
:mad:
Do we really believe the reason Cooper, Gallup and Cobb are dominating the targets is about money and not ability?

Even so, as a 3rd round pick Gallup isn't making more than Austin, and he isn't making more than Cobb, yet, he is just 8 targets behind Cooper for the team lead, and Cobb is 24 targets behind Gallup, and Austin is 73 targets behind Gallup.
You are forgetting about bonuses for number of catches, yardage, scores, playing time, etc.

So yes there are other factors to be considered.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:mad:
You are forgetting about bonuses for number of catches, yardage, scores, playing time, etc.

So yes there are other factors to considered.
As a 3rd round pick on his rookie contract, Gallup didn't have any power to negotiate that kind of thing. Gallup is the 4th highest paid WR on the team, yet very nearly neck and neck with Cooper for the team lead in targets.

Trendnet

Reaction score
Great game against the Skins, decent game against the Fins, didn't do anything against the Saints (nobody did), then inactive for the next 10 weeks.

I don't see him on the injury report any longer. Is this just more stubbornness from the staff? Tavon has 2 catches on 10 targets the last 8 weeks.

If only Tony Pollard and Devin Smith were starting the Cowboys would be undefeated!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Great game against the Skins, decent game against the Fins, didn't do anything against the Saints (nobody did), then inactive for the next 10 weeks.

I don't see him on the injury report any longer. Is this just more stubbornness from the staff? Tavon has 2 catches on 10 targets the last 8 weeks.

I've been banging this drum for weeks.

Dak's QBR when throwing to Smith is 137. It was working. So we naturally put a stop to that.

Consensus 2nd round pick who was playing like it, finally being healthy. Colombo type career. We even have his rights for next year.

Also, no excuses about roster spots for special teams. His combine profile said he was one of the best gunners in college football.

We have every reason to play him. Having him inactive in the Jets game probably cost us that game. Cobb out going into the game. Cooper goes out during the game. We're left with Gallup as our only true wide out on the field.

There must be some personal reason he's not playing.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There goes the lack of special teams ability argument
Not really. If the team feels they need a backup receiver that can also return kicks and punts, a good gunner from his days in college doesn't really fit the bill. Besides, in his 5 years since leaving Ohio State he has seen very little special teams time, so we really don't know much about his special teams ability in 2019.