What happened to TE being a priority?

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Witten retired after the draft and first wave of free agency

What’s your point? We still drafted a TE in the fourth. I guess a genius like you wanted to draft another one this year to compete with the 4 we already have. I hope you’re drunk. That would explain quite a bit.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
More like wishing than thinking.

It was talked about most of Saturday how Hill was a distinct possibility.

I just didn't want to believe that.
I was in the same boat but I can see the reasoning in a DT. Safeties can help stop the run but if your asking your safeties to stop the run you got bigger problems. I thought they would grab a S in the 3rd, but I see the reasoning in the OL in the 3rd.

I wasn't dead set on a Safety but I thought that would be the pick based on who they brought in.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
What’s your point? We still drafted a TE in the fourth. I guess a genius like you wanted to draft another one this year to compete with the 4 we already have. I hope you’re drunk. That would explain quite a bit.
When did I say I wanted us to draft a TE? That's the only thing they did right this draft was not draft one.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
You act like we're set at TE since we took one on day 3 last year to go along with our other day 3 and UDFA's at the position.

I don’t know whether we’re set or not. Neither do you. We’ve got three young TE’s and Witten. Did you want to take a TE with our second round pick this year? I hope not. Once you get past there, we most likely weren’t going to get anyone better than what we have. We’ve had Schultz one season. You ready to cut him? Jarwin? Witten isn’t going anywhere this year. Rico should hit the road if he does nothing to get on the field this off-season. We had bigger needs at other positions rather than draft our 5th TE. It’s not that hard to understand. Well, for most.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The thing is, we've got four bodies at TE. It's not about just adding a TE, it's about adding a starting caliber one. We don't need any more mediocre players at the position.

It was a very week free agent crop for TEs and most of the guys who did make it to the market were grossly overpaid. Then in the draft, no one really fell our way. Jace Sternberger and Josh Oliver were OK prospects, but I'd definitely have Juan Thornhill ahead of both of them (and unfortunately, the team had Trystan Hill ahead of Juan Thornhill). Then in the third, the only reasonable TE prospect left was Dawson Knox, and he was a pure height-weight-speed project who only caught 13 balls last year and never scored a college TD. Don't blame the team for passing on him either.

So I'd say TE is still a need, but things didn't break our way and you can't plug all your holes in one offseason.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I guess having a 72 year old Witten un-retiring filled that need? They didn't even bring in an UDFA TE. Oh yeah and the baseball player...guess we are good there...

Only ones who said TE is a priority are sitting at home watching football on TV. Signing with signaled they are done with this position. He might be a year removed but he's one of the best at what they ask him to do.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It's not like we lack skill positions to distribute the ball to. All 3 TE can block and Jarwin and most definitely Witten have shown they con contribute in the passing game. Frankly, Jarwin played well enough last season to merit playing time; he finished the season strong with quality games against the Giants and Eagles. At 24 years old he is likely to continue to improve the next several years.

Throw in Amari, Gallup, Cobb, Zeke, young prospects like Pollard, Wilson, and Brown, plus longer shots like Rico, Austin, or Hurns.

It's not like we are lacking weapons. It's nice balance of proven talent and young prospects.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
What are you guys expecting from Witten, honestly? When he retired most around here applauded his amazing career, but were ready to show him the door. His skills had declined to the point that he was a minus blocker and could no longer get separation--which is what he built his Hall of Fame career on.

Witten coming back is like putting a bandaid on a broken arm. My sole hope is that if he really is done, and looks like he did in his last season, they don't try to force him the ball, or take away playing time from guys hungry with upside like Jarwin and Schultz.