What Happened To The Variety Shows Of The '60s And '70s?

Hardline

Reaction score
Well????????

And why aren't they on TV anymore?
Aren't there enough popular celebrities we can give them too?

I would love another Donny and Marie or Sonny and Cher show.
Dean Martin
Hee Haw
Laugh in

What were some of your favorites?

Last edited:

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Darn skippy, they apparently went the way of the Supper Club.
Used to like Hee Haw and Laugh In. Sonny and Cher were ok as well.

Sammy

Reaction score
Red Skelton

They tried to bring them back probably 10 years ago, but they didn't stick. I remember Maya Rudolph and Martin Short had one. And Doogie Howser too, IIRC.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's all about advertising demographics and money.

The 18-39 and 18-49 demographics are the most in demand because people in those ranges tend to spend money more aggressively and impulsively.

The people who grew up watching those types of shows you mentioned are now in the 50+ demographic and those traditionally are in retirement or pre-retirement savings mode which means they are less likely to spend money frivolously.

Smaller networks can focus on those less advertising popular demographics (ex: under-18, 50-over), but their production and marketing budgets are always going to be smaller as well.

This is nothing new though because every generation has their own interests which is why popular music of today loses older people, popular shows come and go over time, etc.

Fortunately we live in a world now with on-demand viewing of movies, tv shows, music, etc. from a variety of generations and eventually most entertainment will become available to watch and re-watch as much as you want, so things you liked when you were younger will be just a stream away.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The same reason radio formats evolved from the original Top 40 and MOR, Middle of the Road, formats and began targeting demographics and psychographics.

The old Ed Sullivan, something for everyone, was the model for a while with Glen Campbell, Andy Williams, Sonny and Cher and the Smother Brothers. Then the skit productions like Jackie Gleason, Red Skelton and Carol Burnett ruled for a time.

Ed Sullivan broke new ground with Elvis and The Beatles and that show on Sundays was my family gathering. It was not a Sunday without that and the Chinese acrobats and Topo Gigo, the Italian Mouse. And my Dad stating that those boys with this Moe Howard haircuts were going nowhere.

Stand up comedians weren't stand alone, they needed those programs as Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Robert Klein and Alan King got their starts there.

Late night TV replaced the old variety shows because variety had become passe. The Tonight Show took over and spawned Cavett, Lettermen, Colbert and others.

Interestingly, several years ago a brazen and desperate broadcaster tried to bring back the old Top 40 format, like your iPod on shuffle, and that failed because it is as much now about what we don't like as what we like.

I do wonder if they could bring that old formula back with someone as universally recognized as Tom Hanks but the expense would be huge as would the risk.

I think all of these Simon shows like AGT have replaced that variety format and are less likely time shifted.