CFZ What happened to the “wildcatter” days?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone else remember the days when Jerry was the football equivalent of an oil “wildcatter”? A wildcatter is a speculative oil driller who takes great risks to find oil where most would not even consider. Wildcatters take high risks to achieve high rewards. That was the young JJ. Old JJ doesn’t take many risks anymore.

When JJ was a wildcatter, he was the most aggressive GM in the league. It wasn’t always good. Sometimes it was bad. But he was aggressive. Here are some examples.
  • Hiring Jimmy Johnson out U of Miami was a great risk
  • The Herschel Walker trade
  • Signing Deion Sanders as a FA
  • Making trades for big play WRs (yes they were bad trades, but he was being aggressive)
  • Signing La’el Collins as an UFA (a guy with first round talent but had a criminal inquiry at time of draft)
I know I’m forgetting some moves. Point is. Where did the wildcatter go?

These days, the NFL wildcatters are Les Snead, GM of the rams who has made more aggressive moves than any other GM. Or Jason Licht, GM of the Bucs who aggressively pursued Tom Brady and has made multiple FA signings. Or Brett Veach, GM of the chiefs? Tons of trades and FA moves. Their teams have won the last 3 SBs.

What happened to our wildcatter?

75boyz

Reaction score
It seemed to stop after the Carr signing. A whole different philosophy emerged in what types of free agents and their contracts would be acquired.

Do not know the specific reasons why.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The other trait about wildcatters is intuitiveness to the point of ignoring their own geologists.

It was no accident Booger sought out Crazy Al as his NFL mentor even before the Cowboys, going back to San Diego.

I know several wildcatters and the risk/reward factor drives everything. Until they get to that reward stage where the risk isn’t the critical factor any longer.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Anyone else remember the days when Jerry was the football equivalent of an oil “wildcatter”? A wildcatter is a speculative oil driller who takes great risks to find oil where most would not even consider. Wildcatters take high risks to achieve high rewards. That was the young JJ. Old JJ doesn’t take many risks anymore.

When JJ was a wildcatter, he was the most aggressive GM in the league. It wasn’t always good. Sometimes it was bad. But he was aggressive. Here are some examples.
  • Making trades for big play WRs (yes they were bad trades, but he was being aggressive)
  • Signing La’el Collins as an UFA (a guy with first round talent but had a criminal inquiry at time of draft)

These days, the NFL wildcatters are Les Snead, GM of the rams who has made more aggressive moves than any other GM. Or Jason Licht, GM of the Bucs who aggressively pursued Tom Brady and has made multiple FA signings. Or Brett Veach, GM of the chiefs? Tons of trades and FA moves. Their teams have won the last 3 SBs.

He drafts second round players, with injuries and such hoping to hit on a Hall of Famer.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
It seemed to stop after the Carr signing. A whole different philosophy emerged in what types of free agents and their contracts would be acquired.

Do not know the specific reasons why.
Which is strange to me because, although he wasn't a Pro Bowl caliber player - the guy never missed a game. Was more of a success in this league than Mo Claiborne ever was.

Plankton

Reaction score
Some of this would involve actually paying attention to and scouting other teams in the league. Neither of the Jones Boys can be bothered with doing this - they are too busy making deals with the Blockchain.com's of the world to perform the actual duties that go with their titles.

This is also part of the reason why they don't go out in free agency - hard to put a proper value on a player when you haven't taken the time to actually scout them.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

He's still a wildcatter, but usually in round 2 of the draft.

Hell, he's taking a huge risk every time he speaks!

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
He kept getting richer and richer regardless of the outcome of the seasons.

When you can get maximum (or at least enough) results money wise for minimal effort then some will be okay with that.

It's all about the money and the easiest road to making that money for Jerry.

He's always going to be businessman first.