What happens if (or when) Moore and Garrett don't see eye to eye

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I was actually suggesting something might have changed in between his morning and afternoon media calls--since we know from context something happened to change Jerry's stance in those intervening three days anyway--that would explain how awkwardly Garrett answered the question that afternoon.

Then again, it just could have been a rare awkward moment for him where he legitimately had a brainfart. Since I don't think it's a big deal, either way, I don't really care all that much.

The point I was making is that the team knew for a while what they expected to do re: Linehan, and the only thing that changed was when the firing was announced for some reason.

so its every single far fetched excuse in the book, other than the most obvious one?

That Jerry is the one that makes these kind of decisions and Garrett doesn't?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
so its every single far fetched excuse in the book, other than the most obvious one?

That Jerry is the one that makes these kind of decisions and Garrett doesn't?

No, it's a perfectly reasonable speculation (since neither of us has the data to explain anything), and you just don't know the difference.

Dre11

Reaction score
He literally SAID TWO DIFFERENT THINGS IN THE SPAN OF FIVE HOURS. Why the sudden change? Why if he lied in the morning wouldn't he then lie again in the afternoon? You realize how that makes no sense, right? Something happened between that morning interview when he said he expected no changes and then in the afternoon said no decision had been made and acted like he never uttered what he did 5 hours earlier.

Only a true Garrett homer can't see what happened here. Garrett had the rug pulled out from under him that day and Jerry confirmed that two days later when he said no decision had been made and he should know because he's the guy making the decision.

I don't care what he said, you have NO FREAKING IDEA WHY HE SAID . Problem with you haters is you look for every negative angle you can find to criticize the guy. I would bet dad knew exactly what he said that what he was doing just because it doesn't match your thinking doesn't mean it had to be something negative

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
So did Linehan.......that is until Jerry pulled the rug out from under him.....

Go back a few months:

Garrett to the media: "We won't be making any major changes to the coaching staff".

Jerry to Garrett: You or Linehan needs to go.
Garrett to Jerry: You're right Mr. Jones......Linehan needs to go.

Garrett eating crow to the media: I'VE decided to make a major coaching change.

Sounds like Garrett sure has a firm control alright.
Heh, sounds about right to me.

Last edited:

Dre11

Reaction score
OK.

Then explain to me why Garrett would say in one interview no changes to the staff and then 5 hours later say in another interview basically the opposite. You want to run with the idea that he lied in the first interview just to keep the media off any changes for awhile, I guess. Then why say the exact opposite in the afternoon (and also throws in I can't remember what I said this morning comment).

You can't be this naive.

And let's note something here. In no way am I defending the structure the Cowboys have in place where Jerry basically makes all the calls that involve football decisions short of game planning or calling plays.

Dre11

Reaction score
OK.

Then explain to me why Garrett would say in one interview no changes to the staff and then 5 hours later say in another interview basically the opposite. You want to run with the idea that he lied in the first interview just to keep the media off any changes for awhile, I guess. Then why say the exact opposite in the afternoon (and also throws in I can't remember what I said this morning comment).

You can't be this naive.

And let's note something here. In no way am I defending the structure the Cowboys have in place where Jerry basically makes all the calls that involve football decisions short of game planning or calling

It's clear that Garrett wanted the change. Because he wanted to do it earlier in the year. So until they made a collaborative decision it made sense to make it look like it was staying the same. But also, how do you know that the original plan was for everyone to come back, but was decided later to move on, how do you know Stephen didnt have it wrong initially? Over Garrett's career hes been known to give the media cryptic messages that he later change, or even keep them off what's really happening. Where habe you been.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I was actually suggesting something might have changed in between his morning and afternoon media calls--since we know from context something happened to change Jerry's stance in those intervening three days anyway--that would explain how awkwardly Garrett answered the question that afternoon.

Then again, it just could have been a rare awkward moment for him where he legitimately had a brainfart. Since I don't think it's a big deal, either way, I don't really care all that much.

The point I was making is that the team knew for a while what they expected to do re: Linehan, and the only thing that changed was when the firing was announced for some reason.
Wow. All of this to explain the fact that Garrett was told he had to fire his little buddy Linehan?

Coaches get put on that spot a lot. Sometimes they fire the guy to save their own skin, sometimes they don't.

Garrett chose himself.

Dre11

Reaction score
Wow. All of this to explain the fact that Garrett was told he had to fire his little buddy Linehan?

Coaches get put on that spot a lot. Sometimes they fire the guy to save their own skin, sometimes they don't.

Garrett chose himself.

Please show any thread of evidence he was told to fire linehan...lol someone he wanted to fire earlier in the year.

Alexander

Reaction score
Please show any thread of evidence he was told to fire linehan...lol someone he wanted to fire earlier in the year.
So he wanted to fire him and was stopped?

Sorry, just asking. I just want to be sure of what color of crazy pill I should take to actually believe this.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Garrett chose himself.

Lol. You'll have to follow along a little more closely to the conversation rather than just wading in late and getting it wrong. It's fun to think teams fire coordinators without input from their HCs, I know. It's preposterous to believe it in real life, but it's fun to pretend.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No, it's a perfectly reasonable speculation (since neither of us has the data to explain anything), and you just don't know the difference.

When Garrett and Jerry confirm the obvious, that rules out any other silly possibilities. But that certainly hasn't stopped Garretts mommy from speculating.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When Garrett and Jerry confirm the obvious, that rules out any other silly possibilities. But that certainly hasn't stopped Garretts mommy from speculating.

I have no idea what killer point you think you're making with this comment.

Dre11

Reaction score
So he wanted to fire him and was stopped?

Sorry, just asking. I just want to be sure of what color of crazy pill I should take to actually believe this.
It's obvious Garrett want to move on .

Garrett and Linehan were two of the only survivors from last offseason's coaching staff purge, but according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Cowboys actually considered replacing Linehan as well, only for Garrett to decide to go with Linehan's coaching staff and wide receiver recommendations instead. Rapoport said that the Cowboys considered firing Linehan again during the bye week, which would have resulted in Garrett taking over play-calling duties, which he has not had since early in his head coaching tenure. (Bill Callahan was the play-caller prior to Linehan.)

Then this from another report.
Earlier in the week, the head coach Garrett told reporters that the decision to keep Linehan was “a Jerry Jones decision,” and that the Cowboys were “Jerry Jones’ team.”

In his statement after Linehan’s firing, Garrett told the media, “This was not an easy decision because of how highly we regarded Scott Linehan as a football coach and as a person. He and I had some really positive, substantive and open discussions which took place in the later part of this week.”

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's obvious Garrett want to move on .

Garrett and Linehan were two of the only survivors from last offseason's coaching staff purge, but according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Cowboys actually considered replacing Linehan as well, only for Garrett to decide to go with Linehan's coaching staff and wide receiver recommendations instead. Rapoport said that the Cowboys considered firing Linehan again during the bye week, which would have resulted in Garrett taking over play-calling duties, which he has not had since early in his head coaching tenure. (Bill Callahan was the play-caller prior to Linehan.)

Then this from another report.
Earlier in the week, the head coach Garrett told reporters that the decision to keep Linehan was “a Jerry Jones decision,” and that the Cowboys were “Jerry Jones’ team.”

In his statement after Linehan’s firing, Garrett told the media, “This was not an easy decision because of how highly we regarded Scott Linehan as a football coach and as a person. He and I had some really positive, substantive and open discussions which took place in the later part of this week.”

It's hard to get a real handle on what actually happened with the Linehan situation because we never got the details about what went down the year before when they ousted the OL/WR/QB/TE coach. Something went down that year, and there were reports of a power struggle that Linehan won (according to Fisher, anyway, whose reports aren't really worth a wet fart). Whatever that was, I think it makes sense that it probably spilled over into the 2018. Which is why you hear hints of stories about the team firing Paul Alexander and replacing him with Colombo without consulting Linehan, and which is why Linehan left the playoff game talking on his cell phone and not talking to reporters.

We don't know what really went down, but it doesn't exactly take a genius to connect the dots.

Alexander

Reaction score
Lol. You'll have to follow along a little more closely to the conversation rather than just wading in late and getting it wrong. It's fun to think teams fire coordinators without input from their HCs, I know. It's preposterous to believe it in real life, but it's fun to pretend.
It is also fun to pretend HCs have autonomy in Dallas. There are two in the Jones regime.

Garrett? Autonomy? Please. Give it a rest.

Alexander

Reaction score
I love how the Garrett truthers are just scrambling like roaches when you turn on the kitchen light.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I have no idea what killer point you think you're making with this comment.

Your efforts to thwart the truth and paint a different picture has failed miserably in this thread. No one is buying it.

Garrett said "there will be no big changes in the coaching staff this year" and you say it never happened.

Ill throw you a bone and give you the last word. Enjoy

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is also fun to pretend HCs have autonomy in Dallas. There are two in the Jones regime.

Garrett? Autonomy? Please. Give it a rest.

I never suggested he had autonomy.

I said he was involved with the decision to replace his own OC and that he knew it was happening in advance. Earth-shattering stuff, I know.