What happens if our WRs cannot separate?

kskboys

Reaction score
To be fair he didnt have much from Dez last year either. But I still get what you're trying to say. What happens is Dak will have tight windows to throw through. Lots of deflections which will likely cause interceptions.

Now I dont think there will be a serious issue with WRs separating. Beasley has some serious quicks he can separate on short routes. Hurns is proven. Thompson is a serious burner (in a straight line). Twill sucks even with separation his chest will cause many drops. And from the TE position I don't think these guys can possibly be worse than Witten was on the field the past two years. He will be missed on the leadership department and yes I named my kid after Witten. But let's be real Witten hasn't been good the past couple years. He has been avg. So I really dont think we will see a drop off at TE.
Will we see a drop off at WR? I'm sure we will a bit. Dez is clearly better than what we got but he wasn't all that good anymore. So I wouldn't fret at no longer having Dez

Dez is not clearly better than what we got.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak no longer has safety blankets in Witten and back shoulders to Dez. If our smallish WRs cannot separate, how will Dak react? blue white scrimmage was not his best look. Hopefully not a preview of him forcing balls.

After burning this crop of New WR only the guy below is the answer for our DAK ........................I mean it can't be Dak's fault our WR can't separate enough and our offline can't give him at least 10 seconds to finally decide where to throw his next pick 6.......

the-flash.jpg

erod

Reaction score
Don't quote me with this nonsense. And read the conversation before interjecting with stuff as silly as that. It doesnt even relate to the conversation.

I wouldnt talk about Dak anymore if I were you. You were already outed for your QB takes. It just makes them look worse.
Outed? Lol, are there Dak murals of me around town, too? Has an official notice been released? Are the quarterback police preparing a warrant for my football arrest?

Lol

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Outed? Lol, are there Dak murals of me around town, too? Has an official notice been released? Are the quarterback police preparing a warrant for my football arrest?

Lol

You have the right to have a QB that can throw a ACCURATE PASS....you have the right to have a QB who can read downfield in 2-4 seconds instead of 10....you have the right to have a QB who has correct footwork.....you have the right to have a QB who doesn't PANIC when a defender gets close.....you have the right to have a QB that will make our passing game a real threat again and open them lanes up for ZEKE big time.....YES you are under arrest by the DAK-Police who have deprived you and all Cowboy fans of the above rights....:omg:

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

Lol

Yes youve been outed.

Next offseason you'll talk about how Dak should make the HOF even if hes only played three seasons lmao.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Exactly. Romo was changing plays, protections and routes constantly the later years in his career. He was the OC.

Brice Butler said Romo was basically installing the offensive game plan each week too. I wonder if he was still doing that in 2016, and the offense had it's problem in 2017 because Romo was not longer there to do that.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
We will punt more on 4th downs nd lose more games...What else is new. Our WR's can't separate and Dak cannot thread a football downfield. Dak is the epitome of the "Check-down Charlie" QB. We should have known, the draftniks predicted it!

On an optimistic note, Joe Montana was the ultimate check-down charlie and it worked out pretty well for him. In the NFL the coaches have to optimize the players they have and put them in the position to succeed. Do that and players excel. Don't and everyone says "he's a bum". The guy has skills, we have to play to them. If he still fails then cut him and bring in another QB from the draft.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
deploy a better scheme which is something garrett and this offensive staff has a trouble doing

kskboys

Reaction score
On an optimistic note, Joe Montana was the ultimate check-down charlie and it worked out pretty well for him. In the NFL the coaches have to optimize the players they have and put them in the position to succeed. Do that and players excel. Don't and everyone says "he's a bum". The guy has skills, we have to play to them. If he still fails then cut him and bring in another QB from the draft.
He wasn't. Throwing short passes prolifically does not mean you are checking down. Brady, for example.

LittleD

Reaction score

That's a fair assessment. Of course, Montana played in an entirely different era. Today, Brady might be a better example. If Zeke plays like 2016 again, then the play action pass game might get us to the playoffs if lucky. Dak is not a bum yet, he's learning and hopefully developing. Results so far this TC have been mixed at best. With the Offensive coaches we have, he has to improve solely on his own though.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
What happens if our WRs cannot separate? what if they do and they still don't get the ball? The whole offensive line hurt again? just wondering.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Without having any receivers on the team (to this point) who are going to demand double coverage i think we are going to have a long season on offence. Opposing D will have that one extra guy on D to either spy on Dak load the box or drop back in coverage if we are in 2nd or 3rd and long. This season is going to depend on Zeke and our running game
Beasley has always been able to separate and so has Austin.... so what are you talking about?

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Beasley has always been able to separate and so has Austin.... so what are you talking about?

So if your an oppossing D you would double cover either of those guys? If so i would love for you to be the DC the cowboys face each and every week

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dak no longer has safety blankets in Witten and back shoulders to Dez. If our smallish WRs cannot separate, how will Dak react? blue white scrimmage was not his best look. Hopefully not a preview of him forcing balls.

The it will not be much different from last season when guys were not getting open. I don't think this will be an issue, Dak just need to go through the progressions of a play and be able to use this athletic ability to buy time when he has too.

kskboys

Reaction score
Gallup and Ced were both lauded on their ability to separate. Maybe they didn't even really know what it means?