What if? Dream Cowboys All-time Defensive Line

TheGoat73

Reaction score
So many legends and great players to pick from. If you could only go with four for a typical 4-3 alignment, what would it be? We’ve had a lot of great players through the decades, so you have to take into account size as well.

This is mine.

EDGE Charles Haley, Micah Parsons
DT Randy White, Bob Lilly

I realize that size might be an issue, I’m counting on the fact that White and Lilly can bulk up with today’s sports technology. Lilly in particular was a big boy from everything I see in the old pictures and videos. But that’s 4 nasty mofos killing the quarterback every single play. And yes, Parsons is defensive line all the way in my team.

That’s still leaving out so many great players like Harvey Martin, Demarcus Ware, Too Tall, La’roi Glover, etc… but that’s the 4 horses I’m riding!
If you are under 50 and never watched Randy White’s highlights, it’s worth the effort. Inside, outside, being double teamed, being held, run plays. Fear-conjurer.

kskboys

Reaction score
I realize it’s going out on a limb after only one season, but damn was that a dominant rookie season!
Ware is a top 5 all time pass rusher. What he did w/ the lack of talent around him was beyond amazing.

bigE79

Reaction score
So many legends and great players to pick from. If you could only go with four for a typical 4-3 alignment, what would it be? We’ve had a lot of great players through the decades, so you have to take into account size as well.

This is mine.

I realize that size might be an issue, I’m counting on the fact that White and Lilly can bulk up with today’s sports technology. Lilly in particular was a big boy from everything I see in the old pictures and videos. But that’s 4 nasty mofos killing the quarterback every single play. And yes, Parsons is defensive line all the way in my team.

That’s still leaving out so many great players like Harvey Martin, Demarcus Ware, Too Tall, La’roi Glover, etc… but that’s the 4 horses I’m riding!
Easy... Martin, Lilly, White and Jones...end of story.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
If you are under 50 and never watched Randy White’s highlights, it’s worth the effort. Inside, outside, being double teamed, being held, run plays. Fear-conjurer.
A man you wouldn't want to piss off either. Ask Hollywood Henderson

Mine: Charles Haley, Leon Lett (minus the gaffs), Randy White (undersized but tenacious and would keep Lett in line), Too Tall Jones

You didn't ask but ...: Micah Parson, Chuck Howley, Hollywood Henderson (minus the cra cra)

Deion Sanders, Emerson Walls, Darren Woodson, Charlie Waters

Ring Leader

Reaction score
Our former DEs can be debated all you want: Too Tall, Harvey, Ware, Haley all have merit for discussion/consideration. Any Cowboys fan, however, who excludes either Bob "Mr. Cowboy" Lilly or Randy "Manster" White from the DT choices needs to either check their eyesight, seriously review their history or check themselves into a mental health facility.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
In my opinion, Harvey Martin was the best DE to ever play the game. He and his attitude were like Charles Haley X2. Haley was good, but I don’t think he ever led the team in sacks. Martin not being in the HOF is stupid. He and Chuck Howley are two of the few Super Bowl MVPs not in the hall of fame.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

This is mine.

I think it's too early to think Parsons will be better than some of the greats we've had. And I know that Haley was the last piece to the Super Bowl puzzle in the early 90s, but my ends are players who have produced much more for us, Martin and Ware. Ware is officially our all-time sack leader with 117 and Martin is close behind unofficially with 114, including 23 in 1977. So give me:

EDGE DeMarcus Ware, Harvey Martin

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I’m not picking Parsons until he shows up in the playoffs. He didn’t do much against San Francisco and appeared to tire out some late in the season.

I believe he actually got hurt early on. We had him on the sideline for a long stretch after a head-on collision. He actually got shoved face-first into the crown of a 49ers' helmet by another 49er.

Here's the play: