What if it's Ron Rivera?

CB61

Reaction score
He was.

But he was a. assistant under Lovie Smith in Chicago as I recall.

And Jerrah had already decided on Garrett.

Norv Turner was also being considered before
Phillip's got hired.

I would much rather Turner right now than Garrett.

With this team, Turner could make some noise with Zeke and Amari and Dak.

Wonder if Norv would consider coming home?
Anybody but Garrett Gary Kubiak was also throwing around as a candidate I would rather have him

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Now that Rivera has been let go by the Panthers, the possibility exists that he could in fact be the next head coach of the Cowboys. I think that there are better hires and I think there are worse hires, but I'm interested to hear the thoughts from the forum and what your reaction would be if Jerry did hire Rivera as this team's next head coach?
Think Jerry is gonna go with somebody else. bigger profile

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Think Jerry is gonna go with somebody else. bigger profile

A distinct possibility to be sure. And something I hope for.

But that says to me that Jerry would be conceding both power and profile. A welcomed change from my perspective.

Heck, I'd like to shoot for the moon and try to land Bill Belichick, the best of all time, if it's somehow possible.

I think Rivera would be a solid hire, but much less high profile and would require much less concessions on Jerry's part. And sadly, that would give me the impression of just more of the same dynamic we've had for these many years.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
A distinct possibility to be sure. And something I hope for.

But that says to me that Jerry would be conceding both power and profile. A welcomed change from my perspective.

Heck, I'd like to shoot for the moon and try to land Bill Belichick, the best of all time, if it's somehow possible.

I think Rivera would be a solid hire, but much less high profile and would require much less concessions on Jerry's part. And sadly, that would give me the impression of just more of the same dynamic we've had for these many years.
if belichick decides not to resign with ne, i think hes going to dallas

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
if belichick decides not to resign with ne, i think hes going to dallas

If, in fact he is actually free to leave New England. I can't seem to get any definitive answers on the subject, just speculation.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
If, in fact he is actually free to leave New England. I can't seem to get any definitive answers on the subject, just speculation.
To me just different things have happened that leads me to think its his last yr.

McDaniels backs out on a deal he agreed to with IND hrs after he agreed
Brady having that voidable 2 yr deal

Now with the struggles the team is having.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To me just different things have happened that leads me to think its his last yr.

McDaniels backs out on a deal he agreed to with IND hrs after he agreed
Brady having that voidable 2 yr deal

Now with the struggles the team is having.

I hope you're right but I can't get my hopes up without seeing something definitive on the subject of his contract status. It's clear that he and the organization have gone to great lengths to keep that - like many other things - a well-kept secret.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Now that Rivera has been let go by the Panthers, the possibility exists that he could in fact be the next head coach of the Cowboys. I think that there are better hires and I think there are worse hires, but I'm interested to hear the thoughts from the forum and what your reaction would be if Jerry did hire Rivera as this team's next head coach?

I could live with it because no matter what, I think he would make the defense better. Garrett primarily has built an offense over his years because he's an offensive coach, so Rivera wouldn't really have to worry about building it, just finding someone to coordinate it.

He took a team to the Super Bowl, so he knows how to get there.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I hope you're right but I can't get my hopes up without seeing something definitive on the subject of his contract status. It's clear that he and the organization have gone to great lengths to keep that - like many other things - a well-kept secret.

Its a long shot no doubt

MY 3 hopes

1. Bill Belichick
2. Nick Saban
3. Robert Saleh

Chuck 54

Reaction score
So, there’s a coach who actually took a team with a so so offense to the Super Bowl, the holy grail according to fans, but that means nothing and he’s a bum coach? I don’t understand why a college coach who hasn’t won a championship is preferred over an NFL man and defensive guy who has actually taken a garbage team and gotten it to a super bowl after a few years.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
So, there’s a coach who actually took a team with a so so offense to the Super Bowl, the holy grail according to fans, but that means nothing and he’s a bum coach? I don’t understand why a college coach who hasn’t won a championship is preferred over an NFL man and defensive guy who has actually taken a garbage team and gotten it to a super bowl after a few years.

I'd take him as a HC if we can't have him as a DC

CB61

Reaction score
I'd take Kubiak as well.
At the time yes but he has said recently that he's not really interested in head coaching position although it wouldn't be a bad idea to talk to him

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'd look at any Super Bowl coaches. I trust coaches who have gotten there more than ones we don't know could ever get there.

StarMan2112

Reaction score
As long as Jerry is running the show, doesn’t make a damn who the coach is.

jnday

Reaction score
Now that Rivera has been let go by the Panthers, the possibility exists that he could in fact be the next head coach of the Cowboys. I think that there in up are better hires and I think there are worse hires, but I'm interested to hear the thoughts from the forum and what your reaction would be if Jerry did hire Rivera as this team's next head coach?
I would be I would be about as happy with Rivera as I was with With the Wade Phillips hiring. I really like Wade as a DC and as a person. Not so much as a HC.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Just watched his press conference. He is genuinely a player's coach...no doubt he connects with players. He might not be a great head coach overall but you can see how he was able to get a lot out of players...much more than these supposed "player's coaches" like Wade and Garrett.

Techsass

Reaction score
Maybe DC, but I've never been a big fan of his as a HC.