What if Moore chooses to stay Dallas OC and turns down HC offers?

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
What if he chooses to stay an OC for dallas and turns down wanting to be a HC? What if he likes what he has here? You guys are so quick to believe that everyone wants to be a head coach. You guys talk as if moore doesnt have a choice and has to become a HC of the team that forces him to!

Teams cant just snatch him up, thats his choice. Moore actually seems like that guy who would actually stick with something that is going right rather than blowing it up the very next year.

Moore is young enough now where he can afford to turn down positions like that. I dont see his playcalling abilities slowing down anytime soon so he will still have offers down the line and continue to be highly saught after.

Some may say he would be stupid to turn it down but at the same time it would not shock me one bit if he did.

I get a different vibe about that guy. I think he likes it here and definitely would give dallas another go round for a couple more years. I believe the cowboys can win a SB with him and i believe he thinks that too.

That would definitely be nice to have on your resume before becoming a HC.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
He's going to try his hand at being a HC.

Even guys that did end up being career coordinators, Dick LeBeau comes to mind, tried their hand at being a HC first before they decided to just stay as a coordinator..

I have a feeling you're going to be mightily disappointed if you believe Moore is just going to be this loyal dog to Jerry.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think he's quite ready, but would be disappointed if he doesn't jump at an opportunity to be a HC. No coach worth his salt would walk away from that chance.....one bad season as OC and he may ever get the opportunity again.

Rajveer

Reaction score
What if he chooses to stay an OC for dallas and turns down wanting to be a HC? What if he likes what he has here? You guys are so quick to believe that everyone wants to be a head coach. You guys talk as if moore doesnt have a choice and has to become a HC of the team that forces him to!

Teams cant just snatch him up, thats his choice. Moore actually seems like that guy who would actually stick with something that is going right rather than blowing it up the very next year.

Moore is young enough now where he can afford to turn down positions like that. I dont see his playcalling abilities slowing down anytime soon so he will still have offers down the line and continue to be highly saught after.

Some may say he would be stupid to turn it down but at the same time it would not shock me one bit if he did.

I get a different vibe about that guy. I think he likes it here and definitely would give dallas another go round for a couple more years. I believe the cowboys can win a SB with him and i believe he thinks that too.

One exhibit to your argument is the OC of the Patriots. He was a hot commodity for a HC position and he turned them down to stay with the Patriots. These things do happen but they are rare. 9 out of 10 people would take a promotion and more money. There are only a few rare people who go for happiness over money as they realized that the two are not connected in the long run.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
If Dallas makes the playoffs this season and has success in the playoffs, be prepared for BOTH Moore and Quinn to get possible offers to become a Head Coach.
Both Quinn and Moore have contracts that run thru the 2023 season with Moore reportedly making $2M/year as the OC (Quinn annual salary not known).
With McCarthy making an average of $6M/year, does Jerry see this as another Garrett situation wherein Moore is promoted to Head Coach to keep him from leaving while making Quinn the Asst. Head Coach/DC to keep him from leaving.....after giving them both more money of course????

Last edited:

DenCWBY

Reaction score
On the other side, there are some OC's who are just happy/satisfied drawing up plays and offensive strategy but can't lead or coach to save their lives. Not saying that is Moore as he may have the HC blood to be successful. He's smart, young and in a great position to take on the opportunities and $$ that lay ahead. He's also presently working with the best NFL receiving corp. and a very hot QB that's helped to execute his offense. Wish him well either way.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
I hope Moore decides to stay here.

He is an exceptional OC and will likely be offered a HC position elsewhere at the end of the season.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Moore one day may take on a HC job, will it be this off season? who knows. I suspect eventually he will just as other coordinators have done.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are a lot of things that go into a big decision to become a head coach in the NFL. And none of us really know what’s in the mind and heart of Kellen Moore.

He may be champing at the bit to get a HC position. Or he maybe thinking that he wants some more time to season and grow. Things like his family situation, and as a young man thinking about the timing of his opportunities all go in the mix I would think.

One thing is for sure. Winning in the playoffs is the real gateway to HC opportunities.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I didn't think he was likely to leave due to the lack of vacancy, but after the Raiders thing I can see them wanting him, and also him going.

If he happens to like Fields, Chicago is possible as well.

Most other teams have recently made changes or are happy with the incumbent.

Moore will get his shot somewhere, he just needs to pick the right spot.

Jerry may also choose to pay him in line with head coaches in order to keep the band together. I'm quite sure McClay is paid in line with some GMs.

Same with Quinn if he so chooses.

We are in the odd situation of our HC arguably being less valuable than each coordinator.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If Dallas makes the playoffs this season and has success in the playoffs, be prepared for BOTH Moore and Quinn to get possible offers to become a Head Coach.
Both Quinn and Moore have contracts that run thru the 2023 season with Moore reportedly making $2M/year as the OC (Quinn annual salary not known).
With McCarthy making an average of $6M/year, does Jerry see this as another Garrett situation wherein Moore is promoted to Head Coach to keep him from leaving while making Quinn the Asst. Head Coach/DC to keep him from leaving.....after giving them both more money of course????

I doubt Quinn would get a head coaching gig. I think he now has the label DC only and he won’t shake it for awhile.

If Jerry wants Kellen Moore to stay he’ll figure it out. He’s done it before.

Flamma

Reaction score

I've mentioned this in another thread. Don't assume he wants a different job. I continue to do it in my life. If the pay is good and I'm in a great situation, why move? I've actually regretted going to a higher paying job and retreated in 2019.

We don't know what Moore is thinking. Would Moore rather be head coach of the Texans or OC on Dallas? IMO if the money is good in both, it's a no brainer. But Jerry has to make it so.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Mike Zimmer turned down HC opportunities in the early 2000s and then had to wait like another decade before the Minnesota job came up. I don't know how much opportunity he had in between those, but it's no guarantee that door stays open for you.

Moore could be an OT and QB injury away from waiting 15 years for the next gig.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Here's the other thing besides limited vacancy.....

How in the WORLD is Eric Bienemy not the top candidate over Moore?

Unless there are some surprise retirements.....Carroll, Tomlin....I don't see many teams looking for a change.

Oakland and probably Chicago. I think we can keep the band together for a little while.

JayFord

Reaction score
Both Moore and Quinn could be gone

Moore because the offense is unstoppable and Quinn simply because the defense has improved from what it was last year and that 2020 defense was awful

SoupcanSam

Reaction score

Even guys that did end up being career coordinators, Dick LeBeau comes to mind, tried their hand at being a HC first before they decided to just stay as a coordinator..

I have a feeling you're going to be mightily disappointed if you believe Moore is just going to be this loyal dog to Jerry.

I dont think its about jerry. I believe its about what moore wants for himself. Pretty sure moore has seen enough to know jerry is not the guy to be loyal to.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Kellen Moore is in the catbird seat. He can afford to bide his time with the Cowboys and see how things shake out toward an opportunity to become the post McCarthy Head Coach in Dallas. Meanwhile, he can also observe the openings around the league and determine what Club, if any, offers an ample opportunity to be successful under his command.

He will likely interview for every opening that he is called to participate in because that experience in and of itself is invaluable. Don't underestimate the influence of Jerry and his ability to convince someone he really wants to stay on board. And let the Josh McDaniel experience be a lesson for all.

I can't get all worked up right now over the future of Kellen Moore. He is a successful Coordinator who has a bright future. If he leaves Dallas for another opportunity, so be it. He has to do what is best for him and his Family. The Cowboys have to do what is right for their organization and moving someone out to accommodate an underling is a dangerous maneuver. It harkens me back to the insanity of hiring an OC before the HC.

quickccc

Reaction score
-

- I think age has a lot to do with that too.
And a very few have flat topped out as such, that NFL ranks should well know their limits and that they'll never be the quality HC they would be seeking for their organizations
ala Wade Phillips, Norv Turner.

- But there will still be some former HCs that will get that "another" chance around. Mike McCarthy has become one of those.
Ditto with Ron Rivera. i think it's only a matter of time with ex-Philly HC Doug Pederson later down the road,
I really believe Dan Quinn will be another one of those retreads,.. in only a matter of time..

- You watched Rod Marinelli off being a defensive guru at Chicago bears, but after going 0-16 winless, need less to say, its obvious that there was nuthin' about Rod M that
was obvious that he was a legit HC.

- It's either gonna be retread for sake of established vet HC, ..or teams are gonna want to chance getting the latest trend of hot young assistants to be HC
(Brandon Staley, Clint Kingsbury, Matt LaFleur, Kevin Stefanski, etc.)

blueblood70

Reaction score
Both Moore and Quinn could be gone

Moore because the offense is unstoppable and Quinn simply because the defense has improved from what it was last year and that 2020 defense was awful
and both could stay for special run..