What if we drafted Travon Diggs at 17?

kskboys

Reaction score
But then again, Stephen said it was a debate on taking Diggs or Gallimore in the 2nd. That it was pretty close.
Man, I'm glad it worked out, but it should have been Galley. This dude will be the pocket buster we've been lacking for so long.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Right after he was drafted there were reports that the Cowboys think he's a starter day one.

He has only played CB for two years but jumped right into playing Press at the highest levels of college football. I don't think its a lock that he starts game one, but I think he is starting by midseason for sure.

kskboys

Reaction score
He has only played CB for two years but jumped right into playing Press at the highest levels of college football. I don't think its a lock that he starts game one, but I think he is starting by midseason for sure.
Most likely.

He'll have some blips and bibbles along the way, but I think it's prolly best to play him ASAP.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Most likely.

He'll have some blips and bibbles along the way, but I think it's prolly best to play him ASAP.

Yup, Awuzie only started six games as a rookie but Diggs is way more talented then he is. I don't think we really know what the scheme or plan is for the secondary but Diggs will definitely get some starts this year.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
The best way to defend CeeDee Lamb is to take him away from our opponents. Mission accomplished.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We clearly won the lottery with the CeeDee Lamb pick and the scenario the team was hoping for going in was K’Lavon Chaisson dropping to our pick at 17. But if both were off the board there were comments from the team that they were considering Trevon Diggs at that spot. Dallas clearly had a higher grade on Diggs and was thrilled he dropped to 50. But if he had been the pick at 17, would he still have been a good pick?

Look at the recent drafts. Dane Brugler had Diggs rated as a late first who would have been somewhat of a reach to take at 17. But if you look at the Dallas first round and very high second round picks, 5 out of 7 picks they have made in the last seven drafts were somewhat of a reach also – but made the Pro Bowl and were clearly worth a higher draft position. (The other two are Zack Martin and Taco Charlton).

I’ll copy some of the draft profiles below, all these players had warts or weaknesses that made the media question the Dallas pick to some degree.

2018: LVE – One year starter who didn’t take on blocks well. Considered a mild reach at the time.

2016 and 2017: Jaylon Smith (a gamble who recovered from knee surgery) and Taco Charlton (who developed Late Onset *******edness)

2015: Byron Jones didn’t have an athletic frame or top timed speed, he didn’t get a Senior Bowl invite. Mild reach at the time.

2014: Zack Martin was picked right at his expected spot, but was still considered an average athlete

2014: DLaw – Mild reach, lacked an athletic build and had questionable maturity. A lot of Dallas fans hated trading up for him (including me).

2013: Frederick – Ran a sundial 40 and most draft reports criticized the pick, though he went to 5 Pro Bowls and would obviously go much higher in a redraft. Dallas got crucified for taking him in a trade down instead of Sherrif Floyd, who washed out of the NFL after 24 starts in 4 seasons.

Going off recent history and Dallas scouting, Diggs would still have been a good pick if taken at 17.

Diggs would have been a relatively safe pick, especially compared to guys like Chaisson.

I think they seriously considered trading up in the 2nd round for Diggs but they had 2 or 3 players that they really liked in that area of the draft and in recent years they tend to wait as long as there is more than 1 player that they're targeting to fall to their pick.

FYI - They had Gallimore rated as an early 2nd round pick also.

Kaiser

Reaction score
YI - They had Gallimore rated as an early 2nd round pick also.

I've seen that in multiple tweets. This draft was such a virtuous cycle with players dropping to us. Lamb and Diggs and Gallimore (and the others really) all dropped way below the area Dallas had them rated.

There is certainly a scenario where Lamb and Chaisson are off the board and rather than leaving the first three rounds like Lamb, Diggs and Gallimore - Dallas ends up with Diggs and Gallimore in the first two rounds and then ending up in the 3rd with a guy like WR Devin Duvernay or S Terrell Burgess.

kskboys

Reaction score
I've seen that in multiple tweets. This draft was such a virtuous cycle with players dropping to us. Lamb and Diggs and Gallimore (and the others really) all dropped way below the area Dallas had them rated.

There is certainly a scenario where Lamb and Chaisson are off the board and rather than leaving the first three rounds like Lamb, Diggs and Gallimore - Dallas ends up with Diggs and Gallimore in the first two rounds and then ending up in the 3rd with a guy like WR Devin Duvernay or S Terrell Burgess.
This draft was a godsend. Just seemed to work out just right. The only pick I personally don't care for is Robinson, but he should be a great STer, so that should work.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
We clearly won the lottery with the CeeDee Lamb pick and the scenario the team was hoping for going in was K’Lavon Chaisson dropping to our pick at 17. But if both were off the board there were comments from the team that they were considering Trevon Diggs at that spot. Dallas clearly had a higher grade on Diggs and was thrilled he dropped to 50. But if he had been the pick at 17, would he still have been a good pick?

Look at the recent drafts. Dane Brugler had Diggs rated as a late first who would have been somewhat of a reach to take at 17. But if you look at the Dallas first round and very high second round picks, 5 out of 7 picks they have made in the last seven drafts were somewhat of a reach also – but made the Pro Bowl and were clearly worth a higher draft position. (The other two are Zack Martin and Taco Charlton).

I’ll copy some of the draft profiles below, all these players had warts or weaknesses that made the media question the Dallas pick to some degree.

2018: LVE – One year starter who didn’t take on blocks well. Considered a mild reach at the time.

2016 and 2017: Jaylon Smith (a gamble who recovered from knee surgery) and Taco Charlton (who developed Late Onset *******edness)

2015: Byron Jones didn’t have an athletic frame or top timed speed, he didn’t get a Senior Bowl invite. Mild reach at the time.

2014: Zack Martin was picked right at his expected spot, but was still considered an average athlete

2014: DLaw – Mild reach, lacked an athletic build and had questionable maturity. A lot of Dallas fans hated trading up for him (including me).

2013: Frederick – Ran a sundial 40 and most draft reports criticized the pick, though he went to 5 Pro Bowls and would obviously go much higher in a redraft. Dallas got crucified for taking him in a trade down instead of Sherrif Floyd, who washed out of the NFL after 24 starts in 4 seasons.

Going off recent history and Dallas scouting, Diggs would still have been a good pick if taken at 17.

We won big time.