What if you had a QB that could really block?

Swanny

Reaction score
What if you had a QB that could pass well enough but mainly could be a great blocker, add a full back, great OL and Zeke? Any team ever tried it?

Might be a way to bring running game back to NFL which would open up passing too.

Yes I realize QB could get hurt but that is what backups are for.
I find this very weird that some weirdo has also thought of this. I have honestly thought this would work but I thought I was the only idiot to think it.

I would love to see a triple option offense with a built in pass route installed. Have a QB who is a better blocker than passer could really make it interesting. To me the NFL is purely entertainment and this would be extremely entertaining.

morat1959

Reaction score
If we had a Qb that could just pass well enough, he would have a Multiple year contract

As it stands, we now have a rent-a-Qb. Leased out just long enough for MM to get his franchise Qb

Fact
Truth!

joseephuss

Reaction score
Someone will tame a cheap shot and hurt your starting QB. Just like having a running QB. I think jackson will end up injured like RG3.

The Ravens ran an option play with RG3 as the tailback last season. I immediately thought worst case is you could potentially get QB1 and QB2 injured on one single play especially with the frail RG3.

A blocking QB doesn't seem like an efficient strategy. If the QB is taking the snap, they have to get the ball to the RB and then get out in front to block. Seems messy and slow developing, which would hinder the chances of being effective. If the snap is directly to the RB, then any passing threat is gone for the defense to be concerned with.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What if you had a QB that could pass well enough but mainly could be a great blocker, add a full back, great OL and Zeke? Any team ever tried it?

Might be a way to bring running game back to NFL which would open up passing too.

Don't even take poster seriously again...…………..CHECK!!

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yep, that's why we went 8-8 Dak can't block well either!!!:muttley::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Employing your QB as a blocker is not a good idea unless you have several good ones and can afford to have them rotate out like a revolving door. The Cowboys do not have that luxury and so I would advise against having Dak block too often. He's a tough guy so I have no doubt he could do it. I love it when he breaks a tackle by stiff-arming the would-be tackler.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Are you familiar with the Wishbone offense?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

How does a QB get in front of the RB to block after handing the ball off? Or are you talking about a direct snap to the RB and the QB only takes snaps on passing plays?

I don't see this happening in today's NFL.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Really not interested if my QB can block or even tackle. Most defensive players if put in a position to take a free shot at the QB will take it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How does a QB get in front of the RB to block after handing the ball off? Or are you talking about a direct snap to the RB and the QB only takes snaps on passing plays?

I don't see this happening in today's NFL.

It is obviously not a realistic idea in the NFL, but in a "what if" discussion:

It would have to be on outside running plays where the QB and RB are both moving to the outside.

When Tony Pollard was in college, he would take a few snaps per game as a Wildcat QB.

One of the plays they ran from that formation was with Pollard blocking for RB Darrell Henderson on an Off-Tackle run.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

:thumbdown::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

if the QB can't pass, then I will put 9 or 10 in the box and stop the run...

done...

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

:facepalm:Put this in the bottom 10.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is obviously not a realistic idea in the NFL, but in a "what if" discussion:

It would have to be on outside running plays where the QB and RB are both moving to the outside.

When Tony Pollard was in college, he would take a few snaps per game as a Wildcat QB.

One of the plays they ran from that formation was with Pollard blocking for RB Darrell Henderson on an Off-Tackle run.
Sure, on an individual play or plays, but the OP was talking about designing the offense around it. I'm all for an occasional wrinkle. Even in today's NFL a QB may block on a reverse.