What if Zeke received the Murray treatment

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean I actually see nothing wrong with letting Zeke walk if things get out of hand.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ing-for-a-future-without-ezekiel-elliott/amp/

Of course, things didn't get out of hand with Murray, the Cowboys just chose between Murray and Dez, and the offer to Murray was really just a token offer. There is something of a difference between Murray and Zeke though in that Murray had one breakout season, and Zeke has been at or near the top of the RB position each of his 3 seasons in the NFL.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I’d agree overall the situation in NE is a tad different than here. Their QB isn’t as dependent on the running game. Our QB dependency makes our situation different than many teams, especially those with Elite QB’s.

And regardless how great our OL is will need more talent than RB by committee . Prob don’t need Elliott type talent but closer to that than Randle. Just saying..
Agree with that but they do not need a 15M+ RB. Especially if they're considering a 27M QB and 17M WR. There is not a team in the NFL that could make that work unless they were injury free.

Show me a team with 30% pf their cap in their triplets and I'll show you a team with PB's and no SB's.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
I think "generational talent" is a little overblown. Zeke is in a tier with Barkley and Gurley (assuming whatever was going on with Gurley late last season is resolved). Not sure how you have three generational talents show up in 4 years. And that's not even mentioning David Johnson (injured and misused) or Le'Veon Bell (wouldn't stand for being given the Murray treatment by Pittsburgh).

Frankly, to me, Zeke is just not all that special. I mean, yes, in the sense that he's a top-5 RB in the league. But he hasn't had a run longer than 41 yards in two years, he's not Johnson or Bell in the passing game, and he has been worked HARD, both in college and with the Cowboys. I'd be very nervous about the value Dallas would be getting on that second contract.

He hasn’t had a run longer than that, but he’s had receiving TDS longer than the proclaimed most exciting back in the league saquon by almost double.

How many 90 yarders was emmitt regularly breaking off?

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
Murray is different because he only showcased that he was only a good back before 2014 and that was because of the pass first offense.

Zeke has shown he is a game changer. If he doesn't play well, we most likely lose. If he does, we most likely win. Cowboys will let him walk when they think that his play doesn't determine the outcome of games.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agree with that but they do not need a 15M+ RB. Especially if they're considering a 27M QB and 17M WR. There is not a team in the NFL that could make that work unless they were injury free.

Show me a team with 30% pf their cap in their triplets and I'll show you a team with PB's and no SB's.
And why we’ve been so critical of Dak. Having a QB that needs that much support eventually becomes a handicap in Cap era.

We’ve already seen what he is without it.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Reasons why we drafted Weber. Not that Weber, Jr. is close to the star Zeke is, but he could be the fall back.

I like Webers run style alot. He may also take less punishment than Zeke because web is smaller.

conner01

Reaction score
Why would you think Zeke would be okay with this? There are already rumors around Dallas he and his agents want to start contract talks soon.

Zeke will want to get paid as soon as possible. Either he gets his contract or he'll be asking to find a new home.
They atleast have options if talks don’t go well
But I wouldn’t be shocked if they let him walk

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Not as long as Emmitt but yes I can see him lasting as long as LaDanian Tomlinson or Shady McCoy or Adrian Peterson or a littany of backs that were durable and very good to great.

Those guys had moves for days and took less punishment than zeke.

Debatable if Zeke can last as long. It's not a given with his run style.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Most likely we won’t sign Zeke to a new contract. More likely we’d Tag him a couple years. If we can’t win a championship with him in the first 5 or 6 years, it’s not likely going to happen.

But this subject isn’t newsworthy at this time . More trolling fir responses it appears . This decision won’t have to made until probably 2021.
nice thought but I know this for fact, No way Zeke takes step on the field in 202 without a new Contract/.. Not sure what hes asking but he will follow Bells lead and save his legs and health for LTC..he is being patient right now but no way he plays in 2020 without new contract and I hope hes not trying to get more then Gurley and will happy getting $1 more then Bell because as much as id hate to see him go, we cant afford to give him a Gurley Deal..that was bad deal from day one and Bells Contract set the new market, the one marred in reality..If the Rams had redo they would not have done that deal..

Big_D

Reaction score
He's 23 years old. It was smart to let Murray walk, not smart to let Elliott walk. Makes no sense at all. Murray isn't close to the same caliber RB with this type of ceiling at the time of the contract. Two very different scenarios.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
first off Murray was offered a very solid and Fair deal, he anted another year added and the FO said no..im betting he wished he would have stayed now..

He still got his money so why would he care about staying now? Plus it was more than what he would have gotten in Dallas.

Dallas was all about lowballing and kicking him to the curb afterwards.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
nice thought but I know this for fact, No way Zeke takes step on the field in 202 without a new Contract/.. Not sure what hes asking but he will follow Bells lead and save his legs and health for LTC..he is being patient right now but no way he plays in 2020 without new contract and I hope hes not trying to get more then Gurley and will happy getting $1 more then Bell because as much as id hate to see him go, we cant afford to give him a Gurley Deal..that was bad deal from day one and Bells Contract set the new market, the one marred in reality..If the Rams had redo they would not have done that deal..
I agree, he will not play without a new deal in 2020 and if they've already discussed negotiating a new deal with him starting this season, he might balk in 2019.

While I don't begrudge any player going for all he can while he can, I am still all about the team.....on the field. As bad as it might sound, I don't give a damn about their earnings and getting set for life or their personal lives, it's all about can and will you take the field for my team, that's all that really matters.

What I find amusing is all of the posters here that will want Elliott to lead the league in rushing again, as if that really matters to the team, and then be pissed when he holds out wanting to get paid.

How about this Elliott, wanna get paid the top dollar? Rank better than 23rd in scoring. At least Gurley led the league in TD's.

And generational talents don't rank 23rd in TD's.

blueblood70

Reaction score
He still got his money so why would he care about staying now? Plus it was more than what he would have gotten in Dallas.

Dallas was all about lowballing and kicking him to the curb afterwards.
bouncing around not starting and disrespected in Philly..Players who are Fulltime starters look at being demoted as an issue its not just about the money.. if he had redo, im betting he would have stayed, there was consistency and familiarity with this offense and oline that would have helped him as well..Money was similar it was the extra year he wanted..

Big_D

Reaction score
I agree, he will not play without a new deal in 2020 and if they've already discussed negotiating a new deal with him starting this season, he might balk in 2019.

While I don't begrudge any player going for all he can while he can, I am still all about the team.....on the field. As bad as it might sound, I don't give a damn about their earnings and getting set for life or their personal lives, it's all about can and will you take the field for my team, that's all that really matters.

What I find amusing is all of the posters here that will want Elliott to lead the league in rushing again, as if that really matters to the team, and then be pissed when he holds out wanting to get paid.

How about this Elliott, wanna get paid the top dollar? Rank better than 23rd in scoring. At least Gurley led the league in TD's.

I think the TD situation is an offensive RZ issue. They need to do a better job down there passing and running the football. The playcalling did them no favors once they got inside the 20. Lets hope Kellen Moore isn't a complete moron when it comes to calling plays at the goal line. But hard to just pin that on the RB and most productive member of the offense. It's a combination of things that need to improve. He should be in double digits in 2019.

blueblood70

Reaction score

those TDs are not all on him, thats ;product of Sl not using him more inside the 20.. remember Emmitt all those 1-3 yard TDs because Irving would get it down in there , well anytime we get near the goal line we throw it 3times and settle for FGs!! that has to change..the entire offense suffers from bad playcalling, scoring been an issue because of it.. hope that changes now with Moore and some more weapons..

Afigueroa22

Reaction score

I think a lot of this depends on play calling. I feel they don't pound him in like they should in GL situations. On the flipside, I don't think Aikman ever lead the league in TDs because of Emmitt, he's generational. Actually I don't think Aikman ever surpassed 25 TDs in a season. (Too lazy to look up and I am between customers at work, lol)