What improvements can we hope for from Jaylon and Vander Esch?

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Both will have last year's experience to build on plus another year of getting stronger. I expect improvement in play recognition and being in sync with each other.

InTheZone

Reaction score
i mean no matter how good your linebackers are, if the line is being pushed up 5 yards up the field they become pretty worthless.
True, but I'm not blaming them for DL issues. They had a lot of missed tackles and blown assignments. I don't want to see a trickle down effect on individual performance if one part isn't doing what they should be doing.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they look awesome for 16 games and then lay an egg in the playoffs, where does that get us? I want to see them step up when it matters most.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
These two showed such enormous potential last year. They both played extremely well. IF they both improve even a little bit from last year, where would they rank in comparison to other really solid LB duos in the league?

What are you expecting from them this year? What are the areas that we can look to see the most improvement?

Bigger, stronger LVE. Continued improvement on the Jaylon's foot - story was he still had room to improve.

Obviously, they're young guys who will get better with more play.
They will be able to fast forward some of that improvement if Lee is on the field with them to diagnose plays on the fly for them.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Recognition. The ability to diagnose plays quicker. That, coupled with their athleticism would put them both over the top.
This is it.

They both need to work on taking on and shedding blocks I think, but recognition is a big part of that.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I expect them to be even better. Post season experience and the whooping they took helps, but they as a unit have to come out better than they did. They looked gassed and uninspired vs. LA.

Kage

Reaction score
This is it.

They both need to work on taking on and shedding blocks I think, but recognition is a big part of that.

Play recognition, block shedding.

Keep their confidence and keep having fun.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Teams already dreaded having to game plan for them....yeah, we can all get better at something, but as long as they pick up where they left off we should be good. Someone posted LVE looked "tired" 2nd half of the season, I'd gander a bet that's because he wasn't season ready, as I'm pretty sure all the snaps, practice walk throughs were done for Lee. Lee goes down, as usual and LVE gets tossed into the fire. Overall, he handled it pretty damn good and I didn't notice so much "tired" in him.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The game will slow down for them some. They will read the formations and situations easier and quicker. As long as Lee stays healthy they will have there general on the field with them...

RoboQB

Reaction score
It appears that some have forgotten LVE was sick as a dog in the LA game.
I expect a big leap from him this year. (As if that's possible... lol)

Jaylon may enter the All-Pro conversation this year.
He is healthy and has shown improvement.
Recognition, as was mentioned, will be a key improvement.

JBond

Reaction score
if their last game was to go by then I'll take any improvement otherwise we're screwed.
Crap post.

They are very good players. Who would you replace them with at their draft positions?

I love VDE. Want hi.to hit a bit harder. Want both to understand learn Lee's instinct.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
I can’t claim to not have any bias but I honestly believe we have the best current duo of straight LBs in the league. There’s a ton of great ones but the reports that Jaylon wasn’t even fully 100% during last season can only mean good things going forward and Vander Esch has started literally on twenty six 11 on 11 football games in his life including for us. The sky is the limit for that boy.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Crap post.

They are very good players. Who would you replace them with at their draft positions?

I love VDE. Want hi.to hit a bit harder. Want both to understand learn Lee's instinct.
chill

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Crap post.

Is VDE more extreme than Normal VD?

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
It appears that some have forgotten LVE was sick as a dog in the LA game.
I expect a big leap from him this year. (As if that's possible... lol)

Jaylon may enter the All-Pro conversation this year.
He is healthy and has shown improvement.
Recognition, as was mentioned, will be a key improvement.

I immediately wondered why lee was on the field more than him and then found that out. Damn shame. But one player wasn’t changing that beatdown on the run defense. Maybe not as many yards but they outschemed our linemen[/QUOTE]

RoboQB

Reaction score
I immediately wondered why lee was on the field more than him and then found that out. Damn shame. But one player wasn’t changing that beatdown on the run defense. Maybe not as many yards but they outschemed our linemen
[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It was only part of the problem. But it was clear that he was struggling.
We could get into the DL tipping off the oline, etc. but I was trying to stay on topic.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
I would like to see a big fat space eating nose guard in front of them.
Rod-Marinelle-Jaylon-Smith.png