What is best for the long term future of the team?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
You’re right about the wallet being the key to his heart. But he does have a recent history of reacting to embarrassment- the 45-7 shellacking in 2010 the packers put on us on national TV made Jerry cut ties with Wade. Im not predicting that will happen, but if this team is embarrassed Sunday against the team’s biggest rival on national TV, that embarrassment will be second only to his wallet in causing him to act.
Jerry is very proud. They had an AWESOME Dynasty going and Jimmy embarrassed Jerry. Jerry fired Jimmy shortly after. If Garrett embarrasses Jerry enough with a couple blow out losses, Garrett could get the boot from Jerry, his step father.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
The trurh is it doesn't matter if this team wins 3 games, 6 games, 8 games or whatever...Jerry isn't going to change the structure of this organization and until that happens, everything else is worthless
Coaches the biggest problem. Regardless of what you think of the owner/GM we have above average talent on this team and have been drafting well. We need to get rid of the Predictable HC and spend some more money on Free Agents, and this team will has an opportunity to win Superbowls. No chance of that with Garrett.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Option C. Playoffs. No debate whatsoever. That’s what pro sports is all about.
Sports is all about being mediocre? Maybe to you. As a fan it’s all about cheering for a Title. We go 9-7 and keep Garrett, it will be Ground Hog Day for the next 10 years. Mediocre football with no Titles!

rpntex

Reaction score
A quick multiple choice quiz for all my fellow loyal Cowboys fans. You must select either Option A, B or C and explain why your choice is best for the team’s long term future:

OPTION A- Cowboys lose Sunday night in Philly, move to 3-6, and go on to finish 6-10 or less, don’t make playoffs.
OPTION B- Cowboys win Sunday night in Philly, move to 4-5, and then fight their way to 8-8, but don’t make playoffs.
OPTION C- Cowboys win Sunday night in Philly, move to 4-5, and then fight their way to 9-7 and barely make the playoffs.

So which option would you choose and why?

My choice is option A, and for this big reason. Jason Garrett has had nearly 8 full seasons to show what he is. He is simply not a good NFL head coach. Mediocrity is his ceiling. Under these present circumstances with Garrett, the dysfunction with Jerry has only gotten worse. I’m sad to say, I actually think it’s in this team’s best interest to have a losing record and not make the playoffs to FORCE Jerry to make a move. I hate feeling this way as a fan, but I think it’s currently the only way we have to slap Jerry into getting a better HC.

What do you say Cowboys fans? A, B or C...and why.

C

I always want more wins, and a playoff berth is what you play for. Just get in the playoffs...from there, anything can happen.

It’s really the only choice now that Dallas doesn’t have a 1st-round pick. There no point in wanting to lose now (though I’d never want that anyway).

ESisback

Reaction score
Option B is the worst case.
Option A would not only accomplish what you stated in the OP, but since we have no 1st round pick, at least we'd be early in the rest of the rounds, where you can still find some good players.
Option C is my personal choice, because if you make it to the playoffs, even just barely, your record starts at zero losses again, and from there, anything can happen........and as @Idgit so eloquently stated, rooting for your team to lose is "super bush"........I remember growing up in the 70's, when the women in their bikinis all had a super.........................Sorry, where was I?..............Oh yeah, so to summarize: C, A, B, in that order.

Not taking your usual 15 minute bathroom break?

Blake

Reaction score
A, because C ain't happening, and B just prolongs our misery with the clapping turd.

pancakeman

Reaction score
C is the obvious choice to me.
Go 5-2 down the stretch and make the postseason? Sign me up.

ghst187

Reaction score
D) 5-11 and JG doesn’t coach the final stretch because he gets canned once we are mathematically eliminated. Meanwhile, Jim Harbaugh skips recruiting trips as Jerry’s plane is curiously spotted in Ann Arbor.
PS. I’m not totally sure why people keep thinking we can win 7,8,9 games this year. Wouldn’t shock me if we lost out the rest of the year, were that poorly coached and our schedule is a bear.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
False. Plenty of people rooted for Dallas to lose all those games to be able to pick Aikman with the #1 pick. I rooted for Dallas to tank when it became apparent that the 2015 season was a waste. Sad we are back here a few years later.

The fact that plenty of people might have done it doesn’t change the fact that it’s a bush-league thing to do.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The fact of the matter is that we, as fans, have no choice but to watch the upcoming games and keep abreast of what's to come. The Dallas FO, the staff and their players will decide for themselves by their game day results what kind of a fate inevitably lies ahead for them. It's high time to face the facts.

As a fan, I'll always root for them to win, although there's also a big part of me that realizes that the overall organizational changes that Troy Aikman has described would benefit them the most in the future. For Jerry and Stephen, an honest and objective look within should reveal as much.

Let's hope the Dallas FO will come to fully understand that they actually do require an organizational overhaul. They must ultimately be willing to face the facts and do everything they can to return the Dallas organization and its team to their long-lost elite status.

Last edited:

GenoT

Reaction score
I understand that feeling. I can never cheer against my team, but I honestly believe not making playoffs and forcing Jerry’s hand is better for the team. Sometimes temporary pain is better than continuing the long term agony.
C.

Not making the playoffs might(?) get Linehan, Moore and a few other assistants fired.

As for Garrett, I still maintain that only a total collapse (say, 1-7 or 2-6 for the remaining games) will do the trick.

Londonboy

Reaction score
How about D, every Jones gets imprisoned for tax evasion and They're forced to sell the Team.

Other than that : Sadly, A.

I hate to lose, but We need a decent HC, OC and QB, Joffo the Clown seems to be the only Person on planet Earth who thinks what We have is NFL quality, if it takes major suckage to hammer that message into his stubborn head, then so be it.

Hey, at least Chelsea are going well.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I understand that feeling. I can never cheer against my team, but I honestly believe not making playoffs and forcing Jerry’s hand is better for the team. Sometimes temporary pain is better than continuing the long term agony.
Well bob , there is no guarantee they would get rid of JG is there?? even if they lose the rest of the games, they might still keep him.

We dont really know what it would take for jerry to let JG go.
Also what we want doesnt matter, if you want them to lose the rest of the games, that has no effect on the actual games.
root for them to lose and they can still win, root for them to win and they still lose lol, I was rooting for them to win the tenn game,
and it didnt help cowboys at all lol.

As fans we only get a little info, and so we dont know what is really what, and all we can do is watch the games and see how
it goes.
We cant help them be better or smarter, sadly that is all up to the jones boys. They have the power not us.

my answer to your question is C get into playoffs, always better when they play at least one
playoff game, but I think there is very little chance of that happening.
just based on what I have seen so far, 6-10 may be how they end up.

however if they suddenly went to the read option offense with a lot of hurry up and dak
running alot, then they might get into playoffs, but again I dont see that happening.

Last edited:

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
See, you guys think the issue in Dalls is coaching and that change is going to be a good thing. I think this is about as optimal a situation as we’re likely to get from an organizational stability perspective. Jerry “fixing it, this time for real” isn’t a prospect I look forward to b
Organizational stability is great when the organization is doing well, has had recent success, or at least is trending in the right direction.

None of those things are true here. Being afraid of the unknown or change is no excuse for sticking with the status quo.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You guys are fooling yourselves on the forcing Jerry’s hand part. When you hit his wallet, you’ll force his hand. And that’s not going to happen, so it’s pointless to consider.
Right... Bob should know this.

Must be just playing to the crowd.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Plan C of course.

Any fan not rooting to make playoffs for silly selfish agendas not a Cowboy fan I’m interested in.