What is best for the long term future of the team?

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
It’s not as bad as some fans make it out to be not having hope.

As Browns fans in the Dogpound how they have survived all of these years. Even had their team taken away. Detroit has never seen a Super Bowl either.

This is life with a mediocre/ dormant football franchise. It’s just that our destiny is more restricted to Jerry’s ways.

I’ve been rooting for a dormant alma matter most of my life. It’s a different mentality when you expect to lose and hope to win. Every now and then you have an exciting year, make a Bowl game and your thankful.

I grew up in the 80's and 90's. I remember vaguely the 1-15 season and fondly and vividly remember winning three Super Bowls in the 90's. Ive seen my team win more than most fans can say about their team and I'm content about that.

With that said, it's just a shame what our beloved Cowboy's team has become the last two decades. With no end in sight, memories is all we have unfortunately.

I do like what I tell all of the Panthers fans I live around: I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was".

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Rooting for a loser separates the Diehards from the casual and wagon fans. Lol

Growing up rooting for Baylor my dad said “ son, anyone can root for a winner, that’s easy but it builds character rooting for a loser”.

Winning is definitely more fun but it’s not the only thing. It’s the spirit of competition, camaraderie and relationships we gather along the way.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
I'm a Maryland fan. Talk about a long dormant football program. And this year a player died, we don't have a coach and we are the laughingstock of college football. Couple that with the Cowboys and it's been a pitiful football season.

That's terrible about the player.

I feel your pain being a Tar Heels fan. I feel about the same away about them as I do the Cowboys. It's time for Fedora to go. It seems every year we have mass suspensions to start the year because he doesn't have his thumb on his team like he should.

Atleast basketball season is starting up.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I grew up in the 80's and 90's. I remember vaguely the 1-15 season and fondly and vividly remember winning three Super Bowls in the 90's. Ive seen my team win more than most fans can say about their team and I'm content about that.

With that said, it's just a shame what our beloved Cowboy's team has become the last two decades. With no end in sight, memories is all we have unfortunately.

I do like what I tell all of the Panthers fans I live around: I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was".
That’s great for all of us who have lived thru the championship eras.

I can indentify with Cowboy fans this era. I recall when we hadn’t made the playoffs in the early 60’s as an expansion team. You don’t know if you’ll ever play for a championship, it’s a completely different mindset.

JBS

Reaction score
Coaches the biggest problem. Regardless of what you think of the owner/GM we have above average talent on this team and have been drafting well. We need to get rid of the Predictable HC and spend some more money on Free Agents, and this team will has an opportunity to win Superbowls. No chance of that with Garrett.

Of course..what you are missing is that the scrub on the sidelines right now, is going to get replaced with another scrub who will be powerless...

Do you not see the trend already? There is 25 years of evidence here

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
That’s great for all of us who have lived thru the championship eras.

I can indentify with Cowboy fans this era. I recall when we hadn’t made the playoffs in the early 60’s as an expansion team. You don’t know if you’ll ever play for a championship, it’s a completely different mindset.

Man, you've seen it all. I can only imagine living through the 70's and seeing Roger and that squad.

My son is seven years old and as I have dampened on the Cowboys the last couple years, he hasn't come up quite as I did with them to start out. The NFL is not at all like it was even in the early 90's. A team can turn around in less than a year with free agency and the salary cap and teams signing players left and right.

That's what I do miss about it when I was growing up. You could actually build your team and keep your guys. Maybe that's what is wrong with the game today.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
A quick multiple choice quiz for all my fellow loyal Cowboys fans. You must select either Option A, B or C and explain why your choice is best for the team’s long term future:

OPTION A- Cowboys lose Sunday night in Philly, move to 3-6, and go on to finish 6-10 or less, don’t make playoffs.
OPTION B- Cowboys win Sunday night in Philly, move to 4-5, and then fight their way to 8-8, but don’t make playoffs.
OPTION C- Cowboys win Sunday night in Philly, move to 4-5, and then fight their way to 9-7 and barely make the playoffs.

So which option would you choose and why?

My choice is option A, and for this big reason. Jason Garrett has had nearly 8 full seasons to show what he is. He is simply not a good NFL head coach. Mediocrity is his ceiling. Under these present circumstances with Garrett, the dysfunction with Jerry has only gotten worse. I’m sad to say, I actually think it’s in this team’s best interest to have a losing record and not make the playoffs to FORCE Jerry to make a move. I hate feeling this way as a fan, but I think it’s currently the only way we have to slap Jerry into getting a better HC.

What do you say Cowboys fans? A, B or C...and why.
option c...that means we righted the ship and went 6-2 last half of the season.....

but I am sure Garrett haters want Option A.......

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It's pretty clear option A is best for long term. Garrett needs to go and getting a win only makes Jerry believe he's right again. There will be those who think option c would be nice because they don't want to wish for a loss...but we all know option A is best....for all of our sake
why is that the best option for the future? who is the next head coach? what's your proof that he will be any better than the previous 6?

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
A quick multiple choice quiz for all my fellow loyal Cowboys fans. You must select either Option A, B or C and explain why your choice is best for the team’s long term future:

OPTION A- Cowboys lose Sunday night in Philly, move to 3-6, and go on to finish 6-10 or less, don’t make playoffs.
OPTION B- Cowboys win Sunday night in Philly, move to 4-5, and then fight their way to 8-8, but don’t make playoffs.
OPTION C- Cowboys win Sunday night in Philly, move to 4-5, and then fight their way to 9-7 and barely make the playoffs.

Option C. Because that would mean they find a way to win 6 more games against a tough schedule (find me even 5 more wins on this schedule). It would mean they might just have turned the corner. And it would get this roster valuable playoff experience that they'll need in the future.

conner01

Reaction score
More wins. Let next year sort itself out. Anything else is rooting for your team to lose, and that’s super bush.
I can’t cheer for a loss and losing doesn’t help with the players you have
For the overall roster top picks do help but there is a mentality a team gets from losing that’s not good

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Option B still isn't the worst case scenario.

The worst case scenario is that they lose consecutive games to the Eagles, Falcons, Commanders and Saints, leaving them at 3-9. Then, because the December schedule is considerably easier, they find a way to knock off the Eagles, and go on to beat the Colts, Bucs and Giants. Garrett saves his job.

Scared yet?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
See, you guys think the issue in Dalls is coaching and that change is going to be a good thing. I think this is about as optimal a situation as we’re likely to get from an organizational stability perspective. Jerry “fixing it, this time for real” isn’t a prospect I look forward to b
There is never a day or even an hour I’m not aware that Jerral Wayne Jones is THE problem with my favorite team and until he sings with the choir eternal, it’s probably not going to change.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rooting for a loser separates the Diehards from the casual and wagon fans. Lol

Growing up rooting for Baylor my dad said “ son, anyone can root for a winner, that’s easy but it builds character rooting for a loser”.

Winning is definitely more fun but it’s not the only thing. It’s the spirit of competition, camaraderie and relationships we gather along the way.
Greggo, I’m tired of building character, lol.

Eddie

Reaction score
Best long term is for Jerry Jones to move to the next dimension.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Your way wrong! Jerry has a big EGO, he is very proud and aware of what is being said. If enough people, especially X players( Aikman, Witten, Romo, etc. ) and football analyst keep bringing up how inept our Offense is he will make a change. We need to keep losing though. Which will happen with Garrett and our injuries.
Unfortunately, Jerry made his billions by defying logic and everyone who told him he was doing it wrong. The more people go against him, the less likely it is that he'll change.........unless his own kids can talk sense into him. That's probably the only hope we have.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's probably why he asked "long term".

Long term, do the Cowboys get more wins if we lose enough this year for Garrett and crew to be dumped? I think the answer is yes.

Pretty good argument to be had that it's cheering for the team to lose *long term* that is super bush. Grown ups know that usually some short term pain is required for long term gain.

You don’t know what’s going to result in more wins long term. There’s no getting around the fact that you’re scenario has you watching football games and rooting for the other team to beat the Cowboys. Mine has me rooting for the Cowboys every game. I’d stop following football before I’d want the Eagles to blowout the Cowboys.

In neither scenario is either of us meaningfully affecting the outcome of the win or loss. What I want is to be honest about what’s holding the team back. What you seem to be advocating is becoming a short term fan of the Eagles and Commanders in the name of a convoluted argument and then hoping that rearranging the deck chairs one more time just might keep this ship afloat. The “grown up” is telling you that rearranging deck chairs doesn’t float ships no matter how much you do it or how sick you are of the current arrangement.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Who knows? But that wasn’t the question anyway.

They went 3-5 through the part of the schedule where a better coached team would've gone 6-2 or 7-1 to position themselves to still make the play-offs if they went .500 the rest of the way. This sad sack team is going to limp to a 3-5 win finish, with a likelihood of 3 if they go 0-5 over the next 5 games.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
More wins. Let next year sort itself out. Anything else is rooting for your team to lose, and that’s super bush.

How bush is watching the same team suck from 1996 to 2019?

I seriously understand both sides of this argument. I've been watching this team since Kiss was meeting the Phantom of the Park, the Love Boat was making another run and everybody was happy Kotter was back.

This team has few rivals in terms of revenue, fan base, facilities. Endorsement opportunities for players are superlative. Celebrated metropolitan area. Lakes all around. Gulf Coast is easy driving distance for a weekend get away. So much going for this team. There are very few barriers to success.

Why then, have we had 22+ years of such limited success?

Jerry Jones has let his ego get in the way. He refuses to install a proper GM. He makes ill-advised free agency decisions based on "flash." He is loyal to people who are ineffective. His loyalty to Lacewell and Garrett despite their odious performance is maddening.

Jones is like that family member who has a problem and can't get out of their own way in life. You keep thinking they will finally be embarrassed enough by circumstances they created to change. They make just enough progress that you start to have hope and then they regress.

A part of me wants Jerry Jones to be so fully and finally embarrassed that he will do what 99% of the fan base can see needs to be done. But. He. Won't. We are stuck with this shidoodoo show until Father Time eventually incapacitates the man somehow.