What is our top need now?

KingRah

Reaction score
With X. Woods closing out the season as the #5 FS per PFF, Blake Jarwin's emergence and Schultz proving himself as a valuable #2 / #3 TE (plus a returning Swaim next season)..... what is our top need? Are we really looking at OL / DL depth as our top need? That's a pretty amazing position to be in.

I imagine Beezy is out of our price range, and a WR becomes a top need again. We definitely can use interior and outside depth on the o-line, and depth at DE and DT. We can also use a good SS as an improvement over Heath, as well as a more reliable kicker (why is Maher seemingly only money from 50+ - it is nonsensical)
qb. then safety.

KingRah

Reaction score
Thats not how sex works kid ......... surf the internet and then get back with us.
No thanks, Your mom makes my day off great.
Smart people, with style, and a certain level of street smarts, know what I mean.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
No thanks, Your mom makes my day off great.
Smart people, with style, and a certain level of street smarts, know what I mean.

Did she comfort you? I know you must be upset about Dak bringing us a playoff win.

Did she make you milk and cookies? Did you cry on her shoulders?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
TE, safety, slot WR, and OT would be on my shopping list.

You can't fix every need you have at every position and you're inevitably going to have to roll in 2019 shorthanded at some spots, that's just cap football. But those are positions where I think we need more talent ASAP.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Have to say it's a tie between DT, one that can defend the run and put on some pass rush, and OT.

If I had to pick one, I'd say OT. Smith will never be the LT he was a couple of years ago, and Collins won't be worth what some team will offer him. Smith led the team with 10 penalties and Collins had 8. Dak sacked 56 times, some were on him because of holding the ball too long, but even if 10 sacks were due to that, that's still too many on the o-line...

Yep. Tyron is playing well now, but we have seen with Dez and Lee how aging and injured players can break down fast. And I'm just not that sold on La'El.

Tackle may not necessarily be a need for 2019, but I think it will be a BIG need by 2020. If we can get a guy we like in the 2nd and stash him on the bench for one year, I'm all for it.

KingRah

Reaction score
TE, safety, slot WR, and OT would be on my shopping list.

You can't fix every need you have at every position and you're inevitably going to have to roll in 2019 shorthanded at some spots, that's just cap football. But those are positions where I think we need more talent ASAP.
We need a safety, te and qb. We also need a disruptive dt to replace Irvin.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
I'd feel a lot better if they'd just move Collins to LG already. Suddenly you've got an imposing central 3 and then Smith can trust his partner again. I think it would change so much for the better that by next season Williams could just be thrown in at RT and see what happens.

But they won't do that, and so it's hard to predict what we need because Williams might be one offseason training program away from being a hell of a guard. When he looks bad it's usually because he doesn't look full grown yet, not bad decisions all the time or anything. Plus he's learning from Martin.

And who knows what Frederick will do next year. Things look optimistic now but my understanding is issues like his are unpredictable. Tyron Smith's longterm health is a question mark.

Then there's DT. Woods looks like he's coming out all of a sudden but we've rebuilt so much else of the defense, it's time. Invest in a DT already.

Secondary depth is a concern. I'm not as down on Heath and Woods as others are but we've had a very lucky year health wise in the secondary. I think we could get exposed with an injury to Jones or Awuzie or god forbid both.

We've got a lot of things to be happy about, and we already know our first round pick (Cooper) was a good choice. But the team has lots of questions and areas it could improve.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I'd feel a lot better if they'd just move Collins to LG already. Suddenly you've got an imposing central 3 and then Smith can trust his partner again. I think it would change so much for the better that by next season Williams could just be thrown in at RT and see what happens.

But they won't do that, and so it's hard to predict what we need because Williams might be one offseason training program away from being a hell of a guard. When he looks bad it's usually because he doesn't look full grown yet, not bad decisions all the time or anything. Plus he's learning from Martin.

And who knows what Frederick will do next year. Things look optimistic now but my understanding is issues like his are unpredictable. Tyron Smith's longterm health is a question mark.

Then there's DT. Woods looks like he's coming out all of a sudden but we've rebuilt so much else of the defense, it's time. Invest in a DT already.

Secondary depth is a concern. I'm not as down on Heath and Woods as others are but we've had a very lucky year health wise in the secondary. I think we could get exposed with an injury to Jones or Awuzie or god forbid both.

We've got a lot of things to be happy about, and we already know our first round pick (Cooper) was a good choice. But the team has lots of questions and areas it could improve.

Agree on all points. We've seen that the team goes as Zeke goes. Dak can win some games with his legs, but he's not now, and I doubt he ever will be, a quarterback like P. Manning or Brees or such, a guy who can crank up his passing and throw for 400 yards and 5 tds, with pinpoint accuracy. But those guys are so rare, if Dak only improves a little, I'd be very uncomfortable in taking a chance of getting the next Manning, Brees etc., because if you fail, by the time you find that out, the defense will probably start to be decimated with losses to other teams....

MikeT22

Reaction score
So, if in every round, a RB is the best available, you think we should draft 7 RB'S?

Obviously within reason.

Most of the time there isn't one standout BPA when a team is on the clock. Usually at least 3-4 players with similar grades.
The main point is to not lock into 1 or 2 need postitions and then bypass much better talent just to fill a need.

I've always been an advocate of identifying at least 5-6 need positions and then drafting BPA from among those positions. I'd say the majority of the time someone from among those positions would also be among the group of best players available. If there really is one clearcut BPA available at a position we have zero need then it can provide a good trade down opportunity.

But having a strict BPA philosophy is just as foolish as focusing on just 1 or 2 needs. There needs to be a balance and the fact we've already identified about 7-8 needs it should be easy to fill a need while also drafting one of the best available players at the same time.

kskboys

Reaction score
Obviously within reason.

Most of the time there isn't one standout BPA when a team is on the clock. Usually at least 3-4 players with similar grades.
The main point is to not lock into 1 or 2 need postitions and then bypass much better talent just to fill a need.

I've always been an advocate of identifying at least 5-6 need positions and then drafting BPA from among those positions. I'd say the majority of the time someone from among those positions would also be among the group of best players available. If there really is one clearcut BPA available at a position we have zero need then it can provide a good trade down opportunity.

But having a strict BPA philosophy is just as foolish as focusing on just 1 or 2 needs. There needs to be a balance and the fact we've already identified about 7-8 needs it should be easy to fill a need while also drafting one of the best available players at the same time.
Absolutely.

It's never as clearcut as many seem to think. Grades on prospects are guesses as to a projection of how they will perform in the NFL.

If you don't address your needs in the draft, you won't get better. Needs w/ major attention to BPA is generally the best way to draft.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Obviously within reason.

Aka BPA at position of need. Teams don’t truly do BPA bc it makes no sense.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Aka BPA at position of need. Teams don’t truly do BPA bc it makes no sense.

Teams used to because with no cap, if you had two star players at the same position, the team could keep both. Also there wasn't so much specialization, if you had a good cornerback and the bpa was a cornerback, you'd still take him, because you could stick him on special teams and make an impact.

But of course it's silly to take a cornerback, e.g. if some other area of your team totally sucks, need at least some kind of balance between offense and defense...

Sydla

Reaction score
Safety, playmaking TE type, DT.

I'd specifically say 1T, but I doubt this organization changes their thinking on this. So maybe a playmaking 3T type in the 2nd round, like Tillery from ND.