What is the max amount you can pay a QB and still win a SB

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Blackrain, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Diehardblues

Diehardblues Well-Known Member

27,288 Messages
    15,903 Likes Received
    I follow the NFL’s positional importance at QB.

2. willia451

willia451 Well-Known Member

2,528 Messages
    2,839 Likes Received
    12 pages? Wow!!! Who has that kind of time? Somebody send my administrative assistant an executive summary. She'll dictate it to an audio file and I should be able to listen to it between my one o'clock and four o'clock next Thursday. I'll reach back out afterwards. Until then. Stay frosty troops.

3. JoeKing

JoeKing Diehard Zone Supporter

19,324 Messages
    15,917 Likes Received
    Look at all the talent Dallas had because the QB was on a cheap rookie deal. You conveniently ignore their failure because it disputes your point.

4. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

18,167 Messages
    20,365 Likes Received
    Absolutely.

Right now, we're pretty screwed. We missed out on Dak's cheaper contract by being completely inept in filling the S and DT position. Taking injured players was extremely stupid.

I'll say it again. You make Dak one last offer of around 30, then tag him. Let him sit out if he wants.

We're getting what we deserve. We've been bending to players agents. And this begets us the Dak saga. EZ should've been told to go ahead and sit, and see if he liked the salary of zero. Same w/ DLaw. We paid average players prime money, and it gets us to 8-8.

Since we've screwed ourselves into a corner, tag him.

Diehardblues likes this.
  5. Diehardblues

27,288 Messages
    15,903 Likes Received
    You’re what I’d call a NFL or football purist. I’ve accepted that the game isn’t just about football anymore. Revenue is the driving force. And everything revolves around it.

6. kskboys

18,167 Messages
    20,365 Likes Received
    So, might as well get rid of MVP if your going to just give it to the QB. I'm not joking either.

Under your proposition, the award should just go to the winning QB. At present, they've taken away all credibility of the award. IMO, that will bite them in the end, just as promoting the hard hits bit them.

I would think you'd have the wherewithal to see it.

7. kskboys

18,167 Messages
    20,365 Likes Received
    Absolutely. However, that does not mean you should completely negate major awards such as MVP.

8. Future

Future Intramural Legend

23,322 Messages
    9,672 Likes Received
    This literally never happens.

9. Diehardblues

27,288 Messages
    15,903 Likes Received
    I do. I just don’t care anymore. It’s not really applicable except when arguing issues like these. I just go with it and adjust accordingly.

10. Diehardblues

27,288 Messages
    15,903 Likes Received
    It’s why the NFL has evolved into a sports entertainment league that plays football not just a football league anymore.

As long as the league places the greatest value on the QB then I’m going to follow suit.

The Salary Cap has made this more of a QB league.

11. LittleD

LittleD Well-Known Member

6,170 Messages
    4,493 Likes Received
    Why does NE almost always plays in a SB every year and all the other teams fall by the wayside then. The cap insures that when you
    have to pay your grade A guys, the team starts to falter. Just the nature of the cap. It's called parity except that Bellichick never pays
    big salaries to anyone.

kskboys likes this.
  12. Future

Future Intramural Legend

23,322 Messages
    9,672 Likes Received
    Tom Brady is like the third-highest paid player in NFL history. All he ever did was take lower cap hit, he always got paid.

And they never lost any players because of what Tom is making. A quarterback contract has literally never been prohibitive to any team. This narrative is completely made up.

13. LittleD

6,170 Messages
    4,493 Likes Received
    Tom was never making 30mil per year. I think his cap hit this last year was about 18mil. Tom wanted to win more than make the maximum amount of money so that he could have a good team behind him. Winning meant more to Tom and money.

Blackrain likes this.
  14. Future

Future Intramural Legend

23,322 Messages
    9,672 Likes Received
    Cap hit and payout are not the same. His cash last year was $23 million. He's always been one of the top paid quarterbacks in actual cash, they've just always structured his contracts to be bonus heavy so the cap hit stayed down. The idea that Tom Brady made some huge sacrifice for the sake of the team is one of the greatest myths out there - especially with TB12's deal with the Patriots. Could he have made more, yes, but it's not like he was underpaid. And the $30m/year number wasn't relevant until he was like 37 years old. $15m was a lot in 2011.

Russell Wilson, in 2019 and 2020, will make $88 million dollars. His cap hit is $27 and $31m. Ben Roeth made $46m last year but had a cap hit of $26m. It is just how deals are structured. AAV means pretty much nothing to players and franchises.

DakPresgoat likes this.
  15. Blackrain

Blackrain Well-Known Member

2,691 Messages
    3,528 Likes Received
    They had more quality pieces and a real NFL coaching staff to put the talent in the right positions to succeed

16. LittleD

6,170 Messages
    4,493 Likes Received
    Both QB's you mention did not make the championship game. Their teams are slowing falling down the mountain of cash they are paying their top players. The likely chance that a team can go all the way to the SB without a QB selected in the 1st round of the draft is mighty low.

kskboys likes this.
  17. Blackrain

Blackrain Well-Known Member

2,691 Messages
    3,528 Likes Received

There failure was because they were poorly coached by Jerrys hand picked coach that he kept too long because he did not want the embarrassment of his hand picked guy failing. KC followed a logical team building process by getting an elite coaching staff in place first and adding the talent finishing it off with a franchise QB on a rookie deal enabling them to add enough FA to get over the top .
    Heck how many times did the guy we just hired out coach Garrett . SHEESH this isnt rocket science

kskboys likes this.
  18. doomsday9084

doomsday9084 Well-Known Member

468 Messages
    716 Likes Received
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles...salary-cap-situation-reportedly-a-train-wreck

19. Future

Future Intramural Legend

23,322 Messages
    9,672 Likes Received
  20. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

4,324 Messages
    758 Likes Received
    What a silly question. Any amount!! The QB is just part of the team. One of the most important positions but the amount of money a QB, RB,WR, etc makes does not stop a team poised to win it all