What is the max amount you can pay a QB and still win a SB

Diehardblues

Reaction score
OK, look at your last sentence. You contradict yourself. It's not a fact if the NFL is calling them MVP simply due to positional importance.

And that makes the reality of falsely naming a player MVP.
I follow the NFL’s positional importance at QB.

willia451

Reaction score
12 pages? Wow!!! Who has that kind of time? Somebody send my administrative assistant an executive summary. She'll dictate it to an audio file and I should be able to listen to it between my one o'clock and four o'clock next Thursday. I'll reach back out afterwards. Until then. Stay frosty troops.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Gawd, r u really this........whatever? I named the FA's they were able to sign, and you like glossed over it or something. I think you may be special.
Look at all the talent Dallas had because the QB was on a cheap rookie deal. You conveniently ignore their failure because it disputes your point.

kskboys

Reaction score
I’d hope so. In the meantime what would be your advise.

If winning a SB is do difficult once a QB is paid should you pay them or continue churning. And if we couldn’t win a SB while they were on their Rookie contract wouldn’t the odds of winning one after we pay them be even less?
Absolutely.

Right now, we're pretty screwed. We missed out on Dak's cheaper contract by being completely inept in filling the S and DT position. Taking injured players was extremely stupid.

I'll say it again. You make Dak one last offer of around 30, then tag him. Let him sit out if he wants.

We're getting what we deserve. We've been bending to players agents. And this begets us the Dak saga. EZ should've been told to go ahead and sit, and see if he liked the salary of zero. Same w/ DLaw. We paid average players prime money, and it gets us to 8-8.

Since we've screwed ourselves into a corner, tag him.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Reality.

The NFL's reality, unfortunately, has turned to money. It's all about the QB, even if they don't deserve it. And that leaves us w/ QB MVPs most years, which leaves us w/ fiction. I refuse to buy their fiction.
You’re what I’d call a NFL or football purist. I’ve accepted that the game isn’t just about football anymore. Revenue is the driving force. And everything revolves around it.

kskboys

Reaction score
I follow the NFL’s positional importance at QB.
So, might as well get rid of MVP if your going to just give it to the QB. I'm not joking either.

Under your proposition, the award should just go to the winning QB. At present, they've taken away all credibility of the award. IMO, that will bite them in the end, just as promoting the hard hits bit them.

I would think you'd have the wherewithal to see it.

kskboys

Reaction score
You’re what I’d call a NFL or football purist. I’ve accepted that the game isn’t just about football anymore. Revenue is the driving force. And everything revolves around it.
Absolutely. However, that does not mean you should completely negate major awards such as MVP.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Wrong...as soon as Mahomes gets his money the team will start to lose all those other great players on the team as they leave to get their money. It's just the nature of the cap today. As soon as you pay your QB, the team starts to fall because you can't pay everyone.
This literally never happens.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So, might as well get rid of MVP if your going to just give it to the QB. I'm not joking either.

Under your proposition, the award should just go to the winning QB. At present, they've taken away all credibility of the award. IMO, that will bite them in the end, just as promoting the hard hits bit them.

I would think you'd have the wherewithal to see it.
I do. I just don’t care anymore. It’s not really applicable except when arguing issues like these. I just go with it and adjust accordingly.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Absolutely. However, that does not mean you should completely negate major awards such as MVP.
It’s why the NFL has evolved into a sports entertainment league that plays football not just a football league anymore.

As long as the league places the greatest value on the QB then I’m going to follow suit.

The Salary Cap has made this more of a QB league.

LittleD

Reaction score
This literally never happens.

Why does NE almost always plays in a SB every year and all the other teams fall by the wayside then. The cap insures that when you
have to pay your grade A guys, the team starts to falter. Just the nature of the cap. It's called parity except that Bellichick never pays
big salaries to anyone.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Why does NE almost always plays in a SB every year and all the other teams fall by the wayside then. The cap insures that when you
have to pay your grade A guys, the team starts to falter. Just the nature of the cap. It's called parity except that Bellichick never pays
big salaries to anyone.
Tom Brady is like the third-highest paid player in NFL history. All he ever did was take lower cap hit, he always got paid.

And they never lost any players because of what Tom is making. A quarterback contract has literally never been prohibitive to any team. This narrative is completely made up.

LittleD

Reaction score
Tom Brady is like the third-highest paid player in NFL history. All he ever did was take lower cap hit, he always got paid.

And they never lost any players because of what Tom is making. A quarterback contract has literally never been prohibitive to any team. This narrative is completely made up.

Tom was never making 30mil per year. I think his cap hit this last year was about 18mil. Tom wanted to win more than make the maximum amount of money so that he could have a good team behind him. Winning meant more to Tom and money.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Tom was never making 30mil per year. I think his cap hit this last year was about 18mil. Tom wanted to win more than make the maximum amount of money so that he could have a good team behind him. Winning meant more to Tom and money.
Cap hit and payout are not the same. His cash last year was $23 million. He's always been one of the top paid quarterbacks in actual cash, they've just always structured his contracts to be bonus heavy so the cap hit stayed down. The idea that Tom Brady made some huge sacrifice for the sake of the team is one of the greatest myths out there - especially with TB12's deal with the Patriots. Could he have made more, yes, but it's not like he was underpaid. And the $30m/year number wasn't relevant until he was like 37 years old. $15m was a lot in 2011.

Russell Wilson, in 2019 and 2020, will make $88 million dollars. His cap hit is $27 and $31m. Ben Roeth made $46m last year but had a cap hit of $26m. It is just how deals are structured. AAV means pretty much nothing to players and franchises.

Blackrain

Reaction score
KC didn't have more pieces. The team is still only allowed 53 men on the rosters and 11 men on the field at any one time. You are talking like they got to play 22 on 11 football which is ridiculous.
They had more quality pieces and a real NFL coaching staff to put the talent in the right positions to succeed

LittleD

Reaction score
Cap hit and payout are not the same. His cash last year was $23 million. He's always been one of the top paid quarterbacks in actual cash, they've just always structured his contracts to be bonus heavy so the cap hit stayed down. The idea that Tom Brady made some huge sacrifice for the sake of the team is one of the greatest myths out there - especially with TB12's deal with the Patriots. Could he have made more, yes, but it's not like he was underpaid. And the $30m/year number wasn't relevant until he was like 37 years old. $15m was a lot in 2011.

Russell Wilson, in 2019 and 2020, will make $88 million dollars. His cap hit is $27 and $31m. Ben Roeth made $46m last year but had a cap hit of $26m. It is just how deals are structured. AAV means pretty much nothing to players and franchises.

Both QB's you mention did not make the championship game. Their teams are slowing falling down the mountain of cash they are paying their top players. The likely chance that a team can go all the way to the SB without a QB selected in the 1st round of the draft is mighty low.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Look at all the talent Dallas had because the QB was on a cheap rookie deal. You conveniently ignore their failure because it disputes your point.

There failure was because they were poorly coached by Jerrys hand picked coach that he kept too long because he did not want the embarrassment of his hand picked guy failing. KC followed a logical team building process by getting an elite coaching staff in place first and adding the talent finishing it off with a franchise QB on a rookie deal enabling them to add enough FA to get over the top .
Heck how many times did the guy we just hired out coach Garrett . SHEESH this isnt rocket science

doomsday9084

Reaction score

Regardless of whether the Dallas Cowboys make the playoffs in 2013, they'll have their hands full this offseason as they prepare to pull themselves out of a problematic salary-cap situation.

According to ESPN NFL insider Adam Schefter, the Cowboys are projected to be roughly $31 million over the salary cap in 2014, which would be the most of any team in the league. An anonymous NFL executive describes the impending situation as "a train wreck," per Schefter.

The Cowboys have invested long-term in key performers like Tony Romo and Miles Austin, but mammoth signings like those have only contributed to the salary-cap crisis.

The team's recent roster moves certainly haven't helped the cause. Dallas released veteran defensive tackle Jay Ratliff earlier this week, which means the $7 million the Pro Bowler is owed in 2014 will count against next year's cap.

Dallas can improve its salary-cap outlook by making cuts and adjusting contracts, but those moves won't come without consequences, as they are sure to impact the product the Cowboys send out onto the field in 2014.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...salary-cap-situation-reportedly-a-train-wreck

BHendri5

Reaction score
What a silly question. Any amount!! The QB is just part of the team. One of the most important positions but the amount of money a QB, RB,WR, etc makes does not stop a team poised to win it all