What is the max amount you can pay a QB and still win a SB

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Prescott is a winner. If we put him in the right situation back to dink and dunk. Super Bowl will be the result. No everybody wanna 500 yard plus games. That’s not how you win in this league. Control the ball balance on both sidesWhat really hurt us was our lack of special teams. You’re not winning without three phases. Elite quarterback they don’t exist any longer.
There’s been much greater QB’s and teams who couldn’t win a Super Bowl after paying their QB.

Not sure why we would believe our situation will be different ?

kskboys

Reaction score
It was an extension. They included the last two years of the restricted free agency contract he signed in the press release. Teams like to do that because it looks better. The only new money at that point was the 4 year extension though.

I know you want to have your soundbite cake and eat it too but when you actually account for what was done in 2005 you can only do it once. IOW, you don't put down 02-06 and 05-09; you put down 02-04 and 05-09.

I see you like to eat cheese.
Like to eat cheese? You are strange. Proven wrong, you persist, and then follow it up w/ a vague attempt to be ominous our something.

kskboys

Reaction score
Prescott is a winner. If we put him in the right situation back to dink and dunk. Super Bowl will be the result. No everybody wanna 500 yard plus games. That’s not how you win in this league. Control the ball balance on both sidesWhat really hurt us was our lack of special teams. You’re not winning without three phases. Elite quarterback they don’t exist any longer.
Exactly. And to put that team around him, you need talent. Talent that isn't cheap. Paying Dak 40 mil severely limits what we can put around him.

kskboys

Reaction score
But yet we’re prepared to pay Dak 33 million or more which will make it tougher for us to have success?

If we’re going to make the argument paying the QB lessens our opportunity for success then why are we so determined signing Dak?

Seems like we should already be looking for our next Rookie contract or inexpensive journeyman veteran.
Because we're caught in a possibly no win situation.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Like to eat cheese? You are strange. Proven wrong, you persist, and then follow it up w/ a vague attempt to be ominous our something.

proven wrong?

you claimed I hadn't considered the relative caps. I showed how i used them as the conversion ratio.

You were wrong.

you claimed I was using circular reasoning.

you clearly had no idea what that was.

you claimed he signed a 6 year deal in 2005 so I pointed out how it was an extension not a new deal and how teams like to present such deals as the remainder of the previous cost controlled team friendly deal plus the extension so it looks better. For example the Cowboys did that with La'el last year.

Parcels used to call hype and marketing cheese telling people not to eat it. You ate it.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There’s been much greater QB’s and teams who couldn’t win a Super Bowl after paying their QB.

Not sure why we would believe our situation will be different ?
Vice a versa also. Paying the quarterback is not why we’re going to win or lose. Paying a running back is more of the culprit

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Vice a versa also. Paying the quarterback is not why we’re going to win or lose. Paying a running back is more of the culprit
I understand but the bigger argument and topic of this thread is the QB. You should start a thread about the RB.

And while I’ve always argued an Elite Qb is a great foundation there is hard evidence that once you pay them it definitely lessens you’re chances of winning a championship.

Which spurred my thread that we blew our best window to win a championship while they were on their Rookie contracts.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I understand but the bigger argument and topic of this thread is the QB. You should start a thread about the RB.

And while I’ve always argued an Elite Qb is a great foundation there is hard evidence that once you pay them it definitely lessens you’re chances of winning a championship.

Which spurred my thread that we blew our best window to win a championship while they were on their Rookie contracts.
Again you missed the point. I responded with the running back reply because it was cold for called for.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Rather than protecting getting your little feelings hurt. Maybe you should try to understand what’s really happening here. If you like Prescott or you don’t paying him is not an issue. The issue is you just don’t like him maybe

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Rather than protecting getting your little feelings hurt. Maybe you should try to understand what’s really happening here. If you like Prescott or you don’t paying him is not an issue. The issue is you just don’t like him maybe
No, that’s simply your attempt to discredit the messenger because you don’t like the message.

You haven’t addressed the fact how difficult it is to win a SB after paying your QB in the NFL.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No, that’s simply your attempt to discredit the messenger because you don’t like the message.

You haven’t addressed the fact how difficult it is to win a SB after paying your QB in the NFL.
LMAO. You just don’t get it to tunnel vision but that’s OK. Not everyone understandsIt’s not any more difficult. Even before you pay the quarterback it’s the same freaking thing. What the hell are you talking about. LOL it’s about team not paying your quarterback. An extra few Million a year is nothing. I don’t know why people make such a big deal out of it. It’s ridiculous. They should just see the truth I don’t like the guy I don’t care if it’s for free

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Do you realize how ridiculous of a statement that is

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Do you realize how ridiculous of a statement that is
The evidence is there how difficult it is to win after paying your QB in Cap era.

You want to make it personal but it’s strictly business.

Here’s a link I provided yesterday in another thread illustrating how rare it is for a team to win a SB after paying their qb.

“Since Young’s championship in 1994, only three other quarterbacks have eaten up 10% of their teams salary cap- Eli Manning in 2011 (11.7%), Peyton Manning in 2006 (10.4%), and Brett Favre in 1996 (10.2%). The average spend on a Super Bowl QB has been just 6.4%. If Brady wins the Super Bowl his cap percentage will fit between the Manning brothers at 11.1%. Russell Wilson’s 0.49% would rank below all others except for Brady in 2001 who cost just 0.47% of the Patriots salary cap. If Brady wins he will become just the fourth QB to win a title after signing a large contract extension. The others to do so were the Manning’s and Ben Roethlisberger.”
https://overthecap.com/super-bowl-titles-high-salary-quarterbacks/

kskboys

Reaction score
LMAO. You just don’t get it to tunnel vision but that’s OK. Not everyone understandsIt’s not any more difficult. Even before you pay the quarterback it’s the same freaking thing. What the hell are you talking about. LOL it’s about team not paying your quarterback. An extra few Million a year is nothing. I don’t know why people make such a big deal out of it. It’s ridiculous. They should just see the truth I don’t like the guy I don’t care if it’s for free
Sorry, Whirly, but that's simply not true. Those extra few millions can get you Quinn, Joe Looney, Earl Thomas, Antwuan Woods, Randall Cobb, etc....

We often failed under Romo due to having horrible backups. Those horrible backups were horrible because we didn't have money for better ones because of big contracts.

We had been doing better about not overpaying, but I'm fearful that the EZ and Jaylon contracts are going to come back to bite us. If we now pay Amari, Jones, and Dak, we'll soon be back in the same boat, losing games because our backups suck.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sorry, Whirly, but that's simply not true. Those extra few millions can get you Quinn, Joe Looney, Earl Thomas, Antwuan Woods, Randall Cobb, etc....

We often failed under Romo due to having horrible backups. Those horrible backups were horrible because we didn't have money for better ones because of big contracts.

We had been doing better about not overpaying, but I'm fearful that the EZ and Jaylon contracts are going to come back to bite us. If we now pay Amari, Jones, and Dak, we'll soon be back in the same boat, losing games because our backups suck.
Those few extra million. Next season are already washed away. Especially when you look at the alternative.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I get what you’re saying and understand it. But the last guy can’t even see that side of it. Yes it’s a small dilemma. I never would’ve paid Elliot but that’s water under the bridge. Yeah I think Prescotts a winner and I pay him. People don’t wanna pay him all the people that don’t want him at all no matter what the dollars are

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Mathematicians. I truthfully never seen a salary cap issue with this franchise. They always seem to get the guy they wanted. That doesn’t mean they didn’t get the second guy. I don’t think we’re a bigFree agent franchise anyways. The bottom line is the top we get players that for the scheme that we have and want to put in place. Not just players and make him try to fit the scheme. I like going back to balance dink and dunk. I don’t think Prescott is the issue. I don’t think that extra three $4 million it’s gonna make any difference whatsoever. Not in the balance of what the alternative is. There’s always a learning curve and then you have to pay again anyways. Like look at Russell Wilson that money is already washed up. It meant nothing because tomorrow’s dollars at tomorrow’s dollars. Just like buying a house

kskboys

Reaction score
I get what you’re saying and understand it. But the last guy can’t even see that side of it. Yes it’s a small dilemma. I never would’ve paid Elliot but that’s water under the bridge. Yeah I think Prescotts a winner and I pay him. People don’t wanna pay him all the people that don’t want him at all no matter what the dollars are
Ah, I got it. You're speaking of the polarizers. To tell the truth, I pay little attention to those who think Prescott is great or terrible. He's really most obviously a pretty good QB who has steadily been getting better. There is a great possibility he's got even more upside. Thing is, we really need to see it. I don't comprehend why we're not into a nice little short term contract, maybe 2 yrs/60 mil. In two years, we would know what we have. At present, we do not.

kskboys

Reaction score
Mathematicians. I truthfully never seen a salary cap issue with this franchise. They always seem to get the guy they wanted. That doesn’t mean they didn’t get the second guy. I don’t think we’re a bigFree agent franchise anyways. The bottom line is the top we get players that for the scheme that we have and want to put in place. Not just players and make him try to fit the scheme. I like going back to balance dink and dunk. I don’t think Prescott is the issue. I don’t think that extra three $4 million it’s gonna make any difference whatsoever. Not in the balance of what the alternative is. There’s always a learning curve and then you have to pay again anyways. Like look at Russell Wilson that money is already washed up. It meant nothing because tomorrow’s dollars at tomorrow’s dollars. Just like buying a house
It does matter. Wilson is a very good QB, but he won a super bowl due to a great D. He hasn't come close since he signed that massive contract.

And then look at the flipside, KC. KC just won a super bowl on the strength of their D. They completely shut down SF in the 4th to give Mahomes his shot. W/o that deep talented DLine, KC does not win the super bowl. When Mahomes gets paid, they'll no longer have that.