What is the most embarrassing loss of the Garrett era?

BigD5

Reaction score
Too many to pick just one.

The things that have happened under Jason garret have never happened in Dallas Cowboys history. It’s pretty demoralizing as a fan

Makes you not even care anymore

TX_Yid

Reaction score
The biggest example of Garrett being out-coached was a New Orleans loss where they just kept throwing it to the flats and destroyed us as we had no answer and couldn't make adjustments.

The angriest I've ever been was that 2012 Seahawks loss where they punched us in the mouth and nobody did anything. I've HATED Golden Taint ever since. punk

CoachD

Reaction score
Without a doubt (and believe me there are plenty of worst games in the Garrett era) it is this year's Jets game! As a matter of fact that goes down in Cowboys history as the third-worst loss of all time in my humble opinion behind the Bears in 85' and the last game of the season against the Eagles in 08'. Without a doubt Garrett should have been fired right then and there because there is no way in hell the Jets should have beaten the Cowboys in that game it was quiet embarrassing!

Reaction score
Here is a refresher (I bolded the ones that stand out to me):

2011 Jets - Romo fumble on the goalline, block punt TD, then lose on a Nick Folk (just cut) kick.

2011 Lions, Up 24 points in the 3rd Q yet Garrett has Romo slinging the ball and he throws 2 pick sixes to start the second half.

2011 Patriots - Running the ball 3x with 4 minutes left in the game and punting back to Tom freaking Brady who drives down the field for the game winning TD.

2011 Cardinals - Icing our kicker on the GW field goal, misses the second kick.

2011 Giants - JPP blocks game-tying field goal.

2012 Seahawks - Get beaten to a pulp. Lee blindsided, nobody responds.

2012 Ravens - Abysmal clock management at the end forces Bailey to kick 51 yd GW FG, he misses.

2012 Giants - Go down 23-0 at home, Dez finger on backline endzone OOB.

2012 Commanders - Thanksgiving Day Massacre to RG3.

2012 Saints - Lose Wk 16 home game to hapless Saints which would have clinched the division.

2012 Commanders - lose Week17 winner take all on a Romo pick to the flats in the last 2 mins.

2013 Broncos - We score 48 points at home and have a QB who throws for 500yds and 5TDs and still lose.

2013 Lions - Calvin Johnson 329yds and Stafford QB sneak TD at the buzzer.

2013 Saints - Allow 40 first downs to the Saints (NFL record) & 625 total yards (franchise record).

2013 Bears - Team quits because of the cold.

2013 Packers - Matt Flynn coming back from 3 scores back in the 2nd half

2013 Eagles - Lose Week 17 winner takes division game at home.

2014 Eagles - Mark Sanchez Thanksgiving Massacre.

2014 Packers -Dez caught it but we gave up a 8pt lead to one-legged Rodgers.

2015 entire season - Go 1-11 without Romo.

2016 Giants - Terrance Williams inexplicably doesn't go out of bounds on GW drive, time runs out.

2016 Packers - Go down 21-3 in home playoff game, go pass-happy in RZ, lose opportunity at home Super Bowl.

2017 Broncos - Trevor Siemian turns into Dan Marino - 5 tds.

2017 Rams - Up 12 at home, McVay comes out of halftime and toys with Garrett for entire 2nd half.

2017 Packers - Rodgers slices and dices D in under 1 minute GW td drive.

2017 Falcons - Adrian Clayborn - 6 sacks, nuff said.

2017 Seahawks - Spend previous weeks destroying draft positioning only to lose home playoff-elimination game. Dez has crucial drop and fumble.

2018 Commanders - Snap infraction, Maher hits upright on GW field goal.

2018 Colts - Bullied for 4 quarters by Eberflus' defense.

2018 Rams - Give up nearly 300 yds rushing, lose to 2nd year head coach.

2019 Saints - Can't win w/out Brees

2019 Packers - Can't win w/out Davante Adams

2019 Jets - Lose to 0-4 team with a QB returning from mono.

2019 Vikings - Can't win w/out Thielen & Joseph. Choke away GW drive near GL.

2019 Patriots - One missed FG, one blocked punt, delay of game on punting unit, illegal shift on punting unit, three miss handled kickoff.
That's an impressive list.

And why Garrett should have been cut many years ago.

Doomsday77

Reaction score
Embarrassing to who? I would love to know which game(s) are embarrassing to him. After all those great examples what does he say in the locker room? How do you remain positve and upbeat after ALL of those examples? I mean do you eventually get numb to it? That is a question I wish I could ask him.

Fire407

Reaction score
The Matt Flynn Packers game stands out to me. we had the game won easily and Garrett got pass happy in the second half instead of running the clock. Green Bay was so far down it didn't even look like they were trying to get back in it. The Packers kept running the ball even though they were way behind, but with a lot of opportunities due to our coaching, they gradually caught up and then took the lead. After that game reporters were asking Jerry why Garrett wasn't fired. Jones said something to the effect of Jason has a lot of football left to coach. I knew we were doomed then.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Great thread. Here are mine:

2012 Ravens - Abysmal clock management at the end forces Bailey to kick 51 yd GW FG, he misses.

The 2011 Giants game most won't remember, but we also blew a lead there in the fourth quarter and when the Giants were driving down to win the game, Garrett wouldn't call time out, so they were going to drain the clock all the way down and leave no time for us to come back. Jerry was in the booth clearly saying, "Time out, Jason!" and even the rest of the Jones fools were saying it, too. Incredible that Garrett didn't get it until many seconds later. (I had a gif of this saved but my hard drive crashed and I can't find it on the web now.)

Ravens was a carbon copy of the "Ice Ice Bailey" game where they didn't even try to get closer than about 50 yards, but wasted like 30 seconds off the clock doing nothing. And the Ravens game was in windy Baltimore, not domed Arizona. Garrett didn't learn a thing from the disaster the year before. Pathetic.

The 2013 Lions game I remember because I was watching with two buddies on a little golf trip out of town. One of the guys couldn't make it out much that year so hadn't seen many games. He was beside himself at how horrible the game management was to lose that game. The other guy and I were laughing at him that no lead was ever safe with Garrett and we were numb to his incompetence by that point... he just hadn't watched them enough to know that yet.

The cold Bears game where everyone was more concerned about getting to the sideline heaters than playing the game is a prime killer of the "They always play hard for Garrett!" myth. And remember, that was Josh McCown, career backup, who destroyed us that game.

The Matt Flynn game was one of the worst of all. Matt Fricking Flynn. Enough said.

And don't forget, in all of those years, just don't choke away any *one* of these games and we win the crappy 9-7 division and those final losses for the "NFCE Championship" (lol) don't even matter.

What a joke that the Garrett Fans claimed he did a great job even getting us to 8-8 those years. :laugh:

johneric8

Reaction score
This is an easy answer, the worst loss of Garrett's career is each and every one after the New England game. At this point we're stuck with a guy laying his genius on the line and coaching for victories as if his life depends on it and he is coming up empty. Each coming loss with him at the helm will be worse and worse.

Gorgon

Reaction score
Here is a refresher (I bolded the ones that stand out to me):

2011 Jets - Romo fumble on the goalline, block punt TD, then lose on a Nick Folk (just cut) kick.

2011 Lions, Up 24 points in the 3rd Q yet Garrett has Romo slinging the ball and he throws 2 pick sixes to start the second half.

2011 Patriots - Running the ball 3x with 4 minutes left in the game and punting back to Tom freaking Brady who drives down the field for the game winning TD.

2012 Seahawks - Get beaten to a pulp. Lee blindsided, nobody responds.

2012 Giants - Go down 23-0 at home, Dez finger on backline endzone OOB.

2012 Commanders - Thanksgiving Day Massacre to RG3.

2012 Saints - Lose Wk 16 home game to hapless Saints which would have clinched the division.

2012 Commanders - lose Week17 winner take all on a Romo pick to the flats in the last 2 mins.

2013 Broncos - We score 48 points at home and have a QB who throws for 500yds and 5TDs and still lose.

2013 Saints - Allow 40 first downs to the Saints (NFL record) & 625 total yards (franchise record).

2013 Eagles - Lose Week 17 winner takes division game at home.

2014 Eagles - Mark Sanchez Thanksgiving Massacre.

2014 Packers -Dez caught it but we gave up a 8pt lead to one-legged Rodgers.

2015 entire season - Go 1-11 without Romo.

2016 Giants - Terrance Williams inexplicably doesn't go out of bounds on GW drive, time runs out.

2016 Packers - Go down 21-3 in home playoff game, go pass-happy in RZ, lose opportunity at home Super Bowl.

2017 Broncos - Trevor Siemian turns into Dan Marino - 5 tds.

2017 Rams - Up 12 at home, McVay comes out of halftime and toys with Garrett for entire 2nd half.

2017 Packers - Rodgers slices and dices D in under 1 minute GW td drive.

On that 2013 Saints game, the Saints ran the fullback on a short sideline route probably 10 times and we never covered it once. They got at least one TD out of that.

2017 Falcons - Adrian Clayborn - 6 sacks, nuff said.

2017 Seahawks - Spend previous weeks destroying draft positioning only to lose home playoff-elimination game. Dez has crucial drop and fumble.

2018 Commanders - Snap infraction, Maher hits upright on GW field goal.

2018 Colts - Bullied for 4 quarters by Eberflus' defense.

2018 Rams - Give up nearly 300 yds rushing, lose to 2nd year head coach.

2019 Saints - Can't win w/out Brees

2019 Packers - Can't win w/out Davante Adams

2019 Jets - Lose to 0-4 team with a QB returning from mono.

2019 Vikings - Can't win w/out Thielen & Joseph. Choke away GW drive near GL.

2019 Patriots - One missed FG, one blocked punt, delay of game on punting unit, illegal shift on punting unit, three miss handled kickoff.

Zordon

Reaction score
Great thread. Here are mine:

The 2011 Giants game most won't remember, but we also blew a lead there in the fourth quarter and when the Giants were driving down to win the game, Garrett wouldn't call time out, so they were going to drain the clock all the way down and leave no time for us to come back. Jerry was in the booth clearly saying, "Time out, Jason!" and even the rest of the Jones fools were saying it, too. Incredible that Garrett didn't get it until many seconds later. (I had a gif of this saved but my hard drive crashed and I can't find it on the web now.)

Ravens was a carbon copy of the "Ice Ice Bailey" game where they didn't even try to get closer than about 50 yards, but wasted like 30 seconds off the clock doing nothing. And the Ravens game was in windy Baltimore, not domed Arizona. Garrett didn't learn a thing from the disaster the year before. Pathetic.

The 2013 Lions game I remember because I was watching with two buddies on a little golf trip out of town. One of the guys couldn't make it out much that year so hadn't seen many games. He was beside himself at how horrible the game management was to lose that game. The other guy and I were laughing at him that no lead was ever safe with Garrett and we were numb to his incompetence by that point... he just hadn't watched them enough to know that yet.

The cold Bears game where everyone was more concerned about getting to the sideline heaters than playing the game is a prime killer of the "They always play hard for Garrett!" myth. And remember, that was Josh McCown, career backup, who destroyed us that game.

The Matt Flynn game was one of the worst of all. Matt Fricking Flynn. Enough said.

And don't forget, in all of those years, just don't choke away any *one* of these games and we win the crappy 9-7 division and those final losses for the "NFCE Championship" (lol) don't even matter.

What a joke that the Garrett Fans claimed he did a great job even getting us to 8-8 those years. :laugh:
I think people are sleeping on the 2011 Patriots game. Dude really ran the ball 3x with 4 minutes left in the game, punted the ball back to Tom Brady, and put the onus on the defense to win the game. :facepalm:

And the sad part is this was an overreaction to fans/media ripping him to shreds the entire week for passing the ball excessively in the Lions loss. That's when I started noticing how this franchise has rabbit ears when it comes to the media and Garrett allows outside noise to dictate what he does on gameday.

mrmojo

Reaction score
2013 Saints game, they put 49 on us and yet his team's never quit? Lmao

Zordon

Reaction score
Shout out to the OP for this thread. Brought up so many memories that I had forgotten. Some of those seem so long ago. Glad the Garrett era is finally ending
We all suffered through every last one of these losses and the ridicule that came with them. If Jerry had a soul he would take out a full-page ad in the Dallas Morning News to apologize to the fanbase for putting us through this decade-long mad scientist experiment.

Ebnorice

Reaction score
Mine was last week. Mitch carved us up and the team completely quit. I’ve only shut off a few games in my life. This was one.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've never been embarrassed by a Cowoy loss. I mean - what did I do?