What is the plan to upgrade this roster?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the curious aspects of this offseason so far is that it is not very clear what this FO’s strategy is to upgrade this roster in areas that were clearly problems last year. I’m sure it will be much clearer by late April.

I like the idea of not overpaying for high priced mediocre talent as many teams seem to have done this offseason. I like putting more emphasis on having a quality draft. But if there are no FAs signed that can help this team now, it puts enormous pressure on the draft having immediate impact. That’s not impossible, but it puts all eggs in one basket.

And I’m not saying yet that this front office is blowing it, I’m just curious what they seem to be counting on to upgrade this roster.

Thoughts?

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
We’re probably the best drafting team in the NFL. If anybody can bank on primarily building through the draft, it’s us. We don’t spend big in FA because we draft so well and have to spend our cap space to resign our own guys. We have 10 picks. We’re going to move up a couple times and get some difference makers.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We’re going to fill in cracks with second tier FAs and then draft the ten guys, sign som CFAs and go to war. It’s not a mystery.

We did lose a couple of players we wanted to keep, though. Those have to be replaced from somewhere.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We’re probably the best drafting team in the NFL. If anybody can bank on primarily building through the draft, it’s us. We don’t spend big in FA because we draft so well and have to spend our cap space to resign our own guys. We have 10 picks. We’re going to move up a couple times and get some difference makers.
Wow, Dylan...the BEST at drafting? I would agree we have improved greatly in the draft, and have done well in first round for sure, but when you look at the 2nd round disasters and little help from day three picks, I just don’t see this team as being the best. Maybe in the top 12 last 5 years? Best? No way.

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
Wow, Dylan...the BEST at drafting? I would agree we have improved greatly in the draft, and have done well in first round for sure, but when you look at the 2nd round disasters and little help from day three picks, I just don’t see this team as being the best. Maybe in the top 12 last 5 years? Best? No way.
Name a team that’s better and we’ll go through their picks.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
One of the curious aspects of this offseason so far is that it is not very clear what this FO’s strategy is to upgrade this roster in areas that were clearly problems last year. I’m sure it will be much clearer by late April.

I like the idea of not overpaying for high priced mediocre talent as many teams seem to have done this offseason. I like putting more emphasis on having a quality draft. But if there are no FAs signed that can help this team now, it puts enormous pressure on the draft having immediate impact. That’s not impossible, but it puts all eggs in one basket.

And I’m not saying yet that this front office is blowing it, I’m just curious what they seem to be counting on to upgrade this roster.

Thoughts?

Step 1: Pass on expensive free agents
Step 2: ???
Step 3: CHAMPIONSHIP!

fansince68

Reaction score

Thoughts?
I think the FO in under the assumption that Zeke 's..suspension was the root cause for the teams decline. Feeling that having Zeke for a full 16 will right the ship. Hence few changes are needed. This group of rudderless..stooges just don't get it.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
We’re going to fill in cracks with second tier FAs and then draft the ten guys, sign som CFAs and go to war. It’s not a mystery.

We did lose a couple of players we wanted to keep, though. Those have to be replaced from somewhere.

I think it's highly unlikely that 10 players are drafted. More likely 6, 7 at most. History suggests 4-5 of those players make the team.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

But players take time to develop so we’re never really drastically improving.

By the time one crop is developed 5 other holes have popped up.

We have to stop skipping Free Agency. Plain and simple.

Dallas could go sign Suh, somehow land Earl Thomas, trade up for Roquan and it just changes EVERYTHING instantly.

But they would rather have a team that flirts with mediocrity or can be a little better or worse then that then gets exposed in the playoffs because of lack of talent and a coach that forces them to win their 1 on 1s and does nothing schematically.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
My main thought is adding some depth at G, swing tackle and LB'er (not in any order) in FA. Not big names obviously. The rest comes from the draft and realistically if we hit on first three picks we've done a solid job there. Will all the holes get plugged or will they leak like a screen door on a submarine? Hopefully more like the little dutch boy holding his finger in a hole in the dike. What do you think Mr Haze

Rayman70

Reaction score
Its becoming crystal clear to me that Will McClay is running this team as far as free agency/draft strategy etc. He has said multiple times how he believes in the draft as the sole builder of teams etc. Not sure I agree with that credo...but its his philosophy. So I think its obvious we will be relying heavily on filling holes via the draft. Less than 1 percent of the roster will be built in free agency...meaning next to no signings. I predict all of about 2 signings. If Jerry was running the FA period we would have backed the brinks truck up for Watkins and have no money whatsoever left.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

In terms of Pro Bowlers from the draft, the Boys are ranked #2.

Cowboys rank No. 2 in number of Pro Bowlers drafted over last 10 years
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...ber-of-pro-bowlers-drafted-over-last-10-years