CFZ What is the Strategy?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
You came into the season with a three 3rd string quarterbacks. You knew it was a possibility that Dak could be injured. And of course, it happens on the first game.

Now you have to rely on Cooper Rush, who will almost surely lose you the next 3 of 4 games.

And then what? You start the season 0-4, 0-5?

You had money to fill some obvious holes, but you did nothing.

Obviously, the strategy is to tank this year, get a solid position in the draft, sign your key players, restructure, or whatever, then load up for 2023.

At least that seems to be the strategy to me, since there is no urgency to sign a decent QB who can possibly play well enough to get you through the next month to six weeks.

I seriously want to know what the strategy is. The first person to say "they're too dumb for a strategy" or "Jerry this or Jerry that" is moron for the day. Not because they don't have a point, but because it's so redundant.

Serious answers, do you think the Cowboys are really trying to win this year?

Or are they just trying to keep us all mildly entertained?

Is 2022 a tank year to set up for 2023?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You came into the season with a three 3rd string quarterbacks. You knew it was a possibility that Dak could be injured. And of course, it happens on the first game.

Now you have to rely on Cooper Rush, who will almost surely lose you the next 3 of 4 games.

Obviously, the strategy is to tank this year, get a solid position in the draft, sign your key players, restructure, or whatever, then load up for 2023.

At least that seems to be the strategy to me, since there is no urgency to sign a decent QB who can possibly play well enough to get you through the next month to six weeks.

I seriously want to know what the strategy is. The first person to say "they're too dumb for a strategy" or "Jerry this or Jerry that" is moron for the day. Not because they don't have a point, but because it's so redundant.

Werent you one of the guys just a week ago telling us how we were going to beat the Bucs?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Werent you one of the guys just a week ago telling us how we were going to beat the Bucs?

I thought they had a chance to win. But I wasn't exactly telling anyone how we were going to beat the Bucs. I thought the defense gave us a chance, which they would have had the offense done its job.

I did, however, create a thread about how the backup QB lacks talent, and they we needed to upgrade the #2 QB spot.

Not preparing for an injury for more than a game or so is just stupid. Your back up may have to fill in for quite a while until your starter comes back.

A few agreed we should upgrade the backup spot, but not many....

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I thought they had a chance to win. But I wasn't exactly telling anyone how we were going to beat the Bucs. I thought the defense gave us a chance, which they would have had the offense done its job.

I did, however, create a thread about how the backup QB lacks talent, and they we needed to upgrade the #2 QB spot.

Not preparing for an injury for more than a game or so is just stupid. Your back up may have to fill in for quite a while until your starter comes back.

A few agreed we should upgrade the backup spot, but not many....

The entire fan base realizes we need a better backup.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

We don't do long term stratagy here.
We wander from season to season being reactive rather than proactive.
This is a result of an amatuer front office who think they are football men because they own the Cowboys.
Example: how do you explain not signing a swing tackle off season when your starting LT has not played a complete season in 6 years due to injury?
It's insanity.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
The front office runs this place like it's a basketball team. Their just trying to amass talent like NBA teams do. They pay their top players whatever they want, then they just try to fill in the holes. That philosophy works great in the NBA, but in the NFL you're just spinning your wheels. So the game plan is to keep spinning our wheels hoping they catch traction one day. In other words, they're just going to keep hoping that the talent that they collect will be able to pull one out one year. That's why they swear they're close. But close don't win trophies.

The need a NFL blueprint instead of this NBA blueprint they keep using. And all they have to do is look at NFL history. How many quarterbacks 6 ft 2 or shorter have one multiple Super Bowls? How many teams have won Super Bowls that didn't have a top 10 defense? The answers to our team building problems is in NFL history. They just have to wise up and see it like I do.

Rajveer

Reaction score

I will gladly tank this season for Will Anderson Jr.

ghst187

Reaction score
Most of us knew this season would be ugly since we ditched all of our WRs and didn’t do near enough to fix the OL or DL…not sure we thought it’d be this bad or Dak would look completely done.
So we need to tank all the way and land the #1 pick and get a QB. We don’t have a QB on our roster that is above Backup level.

My3Sons

Reaction score

They are going to carry over cap room, draft in the top 10 and hire a different coach.

I am not sure this was the plan, but should play out this way.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
I honestly believe the FO wants us to believe that winning is the number one goal. But the truth is that JJ wants to look like a GM/HC leading this franchise to wins, that’s the primary goal, and they will never relinquish that strategy.