What is wrong with tanking?

LovinItAll

Reaction score
There's no such thing as tanking in the NFL. Too many guys playing for future paychecks and, believe it or not, pride. Guys don't get to the NFL with a losing mentality.

In baseball, it's easy to tank. Just sell off all your good players. NBA teams can tank pretty easily with poor rotations, some trades, etc.

Not in the NFL, though.

kskboys

Reaction score
There's no such thing as tanking in the NFL. Too many guys playing for future paychecks and, believe it or not, pride. Guys don't get to the NFL with a losing mentality.

In baseball, it's easy to tank. Just sell off all your good players. NBA teams can tank pretty easily with poor rotations, some trades, etc.

Not in the NFL, though.
Mia just tanked. It's ok to be wrong.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Did you miss the team quitting earlier this year? There is no winning culture in the locker room with this team. The players are entitled gutless wonders and the fans makes excuses for them.
Losing in quitting or two different things. The team never quit. Make no mistake about that

jnday

Reaction score
Please post some real evidence of this instead of throwing **** out in the hopes it will stick.
Do you think everybody is wrong except you ? Several posters are telling you that they have seen the same interviews that I have. It is not my responsibility to educate you on a Cowboys history, especially when it is common knowledge. If I took the time to look the interviews up, you would still be argumentative, so why should I waste my time?

kskboys

Reaction score
Isaac Holt started and Jimmy said he knew the other guys weren’t very good but he didn’t care as he just wanted the picks. I do advocate playing the young guys like Donovan Wilson, Anae, Gallimore, Biadasz and I’d love to see some of Reggie Robinson. I also don’t get the thinking that Dalton is our QB when he returns. Does anyone think he’ll resign here? He only did this year to be close to home during the pandemic. With a lowered cap we won’t have the luxury of paying a premium for a backup QB thus the reason I think we need more time to evaluate Gilbert.

As for our core that will be returning I think they need to play as it will enable them to better grasp the schemes and build chemistry. I think we’d be better served using this year to do this as opposed to playing our scrubs just to move up a few draft spots. We can agree to disagree.
There actually is nothing to disagree about. Jimmy sat better players. That is a fact. Denying it or not wanting it to be doesn't change the facts.

jnday

Reaction score

Not in the NFL, though.
It was easy for Jimmy to tank. He traded Walker for players that could become draft picks if they didn’t stick with the team. Of course he wanted the draft picks instead of the subpar players , so those players didn’t stick and Jimmy got the draft picks that he wanted.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Do you think everybody is wrong except you ? Several posters are telling you that they have seen the same interviews that I have. It is not my responsibility to educate you on a Cowboys history, especially when it is common knowledge. If I took the time to look the interviews up, you would still be argumentative, so why should I waste my time?
Yeah, you have no proof either.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, OK boomer, walk it back.:rolleyes:

But no, old fellow. You tried that I-was-here-before-the-football-was-invented-by-the-vikings trick.
So was Landry and Diamond Emmitt. Where are they now?
They are forgotten and in the past.
Try focusing on the present and future, Jeremiah Bulldog.

BTW: When you point out my incomplete sentence, keep in mind to take care of your own lack of ability. I learned English from the best, and, unlike you, not in the
Piney Woods, Earl. I quote you:

"You answered my question (ABOUT) where you were back then by simply saying: "Were you?" (YPU WROTE IT, YOU DIDN'T SAY IT. TOO, TRANSPOSE THE QUOTE AND QUESTION MARK) Incomplete sentence and an ambiguous reply on your part. If you were asking if I was (WERE! USE WERE IN THE CONDITIONAL SENSE!) even in existence back (COMMA UNLESS YOU ARE IN A COMA) then the answer is yes. I was alive since long before the Cowboys were in their infancy. It wasn't intended to compare our status. (PANTS ON FIRE) Thanks anyway for the fruit basket. My digestion is fine. o_O
:laugh:
You want more, Don Heinrich?o_O[/QUOTE]

You spelled "you" wrong. :laugh:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are wrong. Jimmy has confirmed it over and over. He sat the veterans that he traded for from the Vikings to gain the picks. Those veterans were much better players than the scrubs he sent in the field.

Your sources?
I'm not saying you are wrong.....just want to get on the same page. I certainly remember some..ado...about it. That was quite some time ago.

cern

Reaction score
Isn't tanking basically losing to win? That is to a T what Jimmy did.
after careful consideration, i now accept this as tanking. it's not bad thing. i was equating tanking to quitting. i've changed my mind.

cern

Reaction score
And one thing I guarantee you is that the coaches and players are not like you and want to lose. They’re going to give 100%. Only fans quit. And you’ve quit.
was general macarthur a quitter when he first left the philippines promising to return. stick to what you know, corporal.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I don't always agree with everything Jnday says but on this subject, I'm surprised anyone is disagreeing. Jimmy clearly sat better players for the greater good. I'm not a tanking guy but what he did worked out for this team in the long run.

cern

Reaction score
Please post some real evidence of this instead of throwing **** out in the hopes it will stick.
do your own homework. that's how you'll learn. quitters and lazy people want someone else to do the work for them. the internet is for more than just complaining like a little whiney butt.

cern

Reaction score
Type in "Hershel Walker Trade" and look it up. It's even in Wikipedia.

It appears that you're the one throwing out crapp hoping it sticks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
he's too lazy. wants someone else to do the work for him.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Mia just tanked. It's ok to be wrong.

I don't think Miami tanked they did a rebuild, they aquired draft capitol while trading players who were up for a contract for that draft capitol...but if you watched the games last year they absolutley played for that coach and starting competing at the end. They evaluated the talent that was still there to see who to keep and played the best players they had at every position.....Miami wasn't injured they were just bad and did a great job at starting a rebuild....tanking would be benching all your starters for the second half of the season to purposley move up in the draft, Miami didn't do that.

Dallas isn't tanking..THEY ARE VERY INJURED...most teams don't win with the injuries we have especially at the positions we have them. If your hoping for a rebuild then your going to be disappointed as we have not done anything for draft capitol nor have we started unloading any contracts. This FO believes (right or wrong yet to be seen) we have the core to win now, nothing they have done shows us otherwise. If Dalton comes back out there then that will let you know they still think they can win this year.....I know thats ridiculous but with this division..meh. If by the grace of god they draft heavy for middle defense players they could be right about fixing this thing soon.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As long as we don't make it obvious that we're tanking.
Teams have been doing that for years and it is allowable unless the media catches on and it affects the playoffs.

If you have a team that is obviously out of it, you simply declare this season is over and it's time to find out what I've got in my backups and rest players that have been playing with injuries. They do this by just changing the lineup.

The issue with any East team tanking this season that even at 2-7 and at the bottom of the conference standings, it's still any team's division to win and go to the playoffs.

There are fans that want to wring every last drop out of this season so winning the East matters and their desires should be considered just as important as those already on to the next season.

I do not buy anything can happen in the playoffs because it usually doesn't but with everything that's happened this year, in and out of football, I do not think it wrong for a fan to want just one more game out of their team.

I am waffling on moving on as well. What's to say next season is any better or different? There's something to be said for winning the East and keeping PHL from repeating and that won't carry an asterisk, it's still a division championship.

Damn me, damn me, furry, I'm starting to talk myself into not tanking this season.